Anyone good with fiberglass?

LJWalter

Looking to make a seat cowl for the 03 Triumph TT600. Cant find any online for less than $300.... I have done some research & i dont think it would be that difficult, however if anyone has experience & would like to toss in some "how-to", i would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Find one from a superhawk. They are readily available and then modify it as needed.

I made two for my Katana I had. Made one that was like some crazy hump back camel looking thing (1st attempt that was functional I put my frog togs in there) then the other was made just to cover the seat. Kid that bought it like the big one better.

when doing the katana it was actually easy. Having a two piece seat I just hit the bike junkyards up till I found a rear seat. Tore the cover off and then added layers of fiberglass and resign till it was built up to what I liked. The 1st was a different story. I took the foam and all off and started from the plastic up. Used some lite grade metal fencing to make the frame and then laid fiberglass on top of it.

Edited by Beegreenstrings

Find one from a superhawk. They are readily available and then modify it as needed.

I made two for my Katana I had. Made one that was like some crazy hump back camel looking thing (1st attempt that was functional I put my frog togs in there) then the other was made just to cover the seat. Kid that bought it like the big one better.

when doing the katana it was actually easy. Having a two piece seat I just hit the bike junkyards up till I found a rear seat. Tore the cover off and then added layers of fiberglass and resign till it was built up to what I liked. The 1st was a different story. I took the foam and all off and started from the plastic up. Used some lite grade metal fencing to make the frame and then laid fiberglass on top of it.

It is only a 1 piece... Great idea tho!

You could make a cheater. Build up a rear cowl on the seat itself, and use the seat pan as the mounting base.

Basically, you pop the seat off, pop your cowl on the seat, and then put the seat back on. Voila' solo seat!

You could make a cheater. Build up a rear cowl on the seat itself, and use the seat pan as the mounting base.

Basically, you pop the seat off, pop your cowl on the seat, and then put the seat back on. Voila' solo seat!

thats a good idea. i may give that a shot. Thanks

it's more work than just buying one I can promis you that.

unless all you got is time and patience.

I made a few things for my bike.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/serpentracer/sets/72157616896803108/

anyway, there are tons of videos on youtube. but I like this place a lot better since they have their own how to videos with advanced techniques and carbon fiber etc too.

http://www.fibreglast.com/category/Learning_Center

Im not the best at glassing stuff but play a little....... and it is a good bit of work. I made a custom tail for my 91 cbr...... I cut the seat to fit. I'll see how it holds up to riding this season, but shouldnt be a problem. Guess it just depends on how far you want to go for that solo look.....

Thanks for the tips everyone. Time is what i dont have... 55-60 hours a week @ work & 3 small kids. If anyone wants to make 1 for beer & a free meal @ my restaurant (in Hilliard) Im game. But, ill probably just buy one.

Great work serpentracer & reimbrandt!