calling sumo riders!

oldschoolsdime92

I am thinking about getting rid of my fz1 for a sumo. I don't do much touring, but a few times a year I do a few big rides, everything else consists of local riding and my 4 mile commute to work. I have a few questions for you guys. Have you toured any on your sumo, or is it possible? Are you able to ride them on the highway? any other thoughts and suggestions?

Well, there are a few levels of Sumo for the street.

1. Converted Dirt (CRF/YZF/KXF etc)

2. Factory Built Type Racer (KTM and Husky SMR's, Berg FS's)

3. Factory Built "street" (DRZSM, Husky SM610/630, KTM690SMC/Duke, various 250 sumo's)

Each have their own merits. But for longer ride and tours, stick with the "street" sumo's. They have the best maintainence schedules and easiest to ride distances yet still harness plenty of fun.

I have a Husky SMR510 and that requires 500 mile oil changes, 1000 mile valve checks. While easy to do, it's tough trying to pack light for a weekend away and carry enough stuff to change the oil on your trip. While it's a heap of fun and is strickly a play bike for short rides, it will do the long trip.

I ended up touring southern Ohio on it in the fall. Did a little over 500 miles Friday to Sunday. While a blast, my ass didn't care for it at all. Plus, due to the single and extended trip the side stand bolt rattled off and I lost both mirrors due to vibration. But, it was a riot. While the fuel range is only about 70~80 miles, it's all I errr.... my posterior can take at a time.

There are different seats out there to fix the issue, I haven't done that yet. Also, most sumo's LOVE to eat tires. Seems rears last around 500 miles, fronts last a little more than that for some reason.

And I still have my FZ1 for those extended out of state weekend tours. Best of both worlds. I got rid of my RC51 for the Sumo and will never look back. I've always had sport bikes and while I enjoy the speed and track riding. The Sumo allows me the same feeling if not better, just outside my door.

Most sumo's LOVE to eat tires. Seems rears last around 500 miles.

I have been thinking of sumo for this year but this might help me make a decision. My current street bike gets 1,600 to 2,100 miles on a rear and it’s a pain in the ass plus expensive. I'm not sure I want to go with 500 mile tire changes because I know the bike will be sitting around a lot waiting for me to get around to putting another tire on it. What tires are you running?

I ran a few of the Dunlop D253, which is their Supermoto specific tire. they didn't last for crap. I'm running Pilot Powers now and they seem a little better, but not much. The Avon Distanzia's were horrible in the SM tread. They stick like glue but wear like bubble gum.

It sounds like a sumo shouldn't be my sole bike then. Thanks guys

As a single bike, I thnk it's doable, but tough.

And besides, with a tire changer in the garage, it makes tire changes much easier and faster. Plus after having it for 3 years, it's paid for itself.