varmit rifle caliber

rawlins87

Looking to build/purchase a varmit rifle.

Calibers im leaning towards:

17hmr-weakest

204 ruger-unpopular round

22-250-common

Basically a groundhog and coyote gun. Need something that will reach up to 200 yards accurately and get the job done. Leaning towards the 17hmr for initial cost of ownership and cheap ammo, but unsure of it's "takedown" capabilities at 150+yards. I like odd calibers so having a 204 appeals to me since most people don't shoot it. Could make getting ammo in 10+ years difficult if the round is phased out. The 22-250 will do everything I need but highest cost.

Basically budget is $400-500 for a gun then $100-200 for glass.

22-250 wont work unless used-would rather buy new

Can get a high quality 17hmr for that budget.

.204 would get the job done. Easy caliber also being .223 in a good bolt action and cheap ammo. Best gun I have used was a .220 swift. Man that thing was nasty to the prairie dogs even out to 300 yards.

Contact 8mmDale on here for better info an prices.

Edited by SJC1000rr

I agree to just grab a used 22-250 or a .223/5.56. AR with a target barrel, (i.e 20-24in stainless)

Do you want bolt action or semi? You could easily get a decent rem or savage bolt gun in that price range. Dont discount a used gun!! Technically they are all used since the factory fires a few shots through them for QC.

Edited by flounder

Something else to consider would be the .25-06. You can get factory loads from 85gr up to around 120gr. Velocities range from 3500 to around 2900fps for the heavy bullets. You can hand load down to a 75gr bullet with velocities up to around 3700fps. Looks like Marlin, Weatherby and Savage still make a new gun that would fit your price range. Used guns should be able to be found in your 4-500 range with a scope already on them. I sold my .25-06 Interarms Mark-X with Bushnell 3-9x50 a few years ago at a gun show for $300.

I liked mine as it was a good gun for anything from deer down to groundhog and crow. Eastern PA didn't have much for prairie dog population so I don't know how it would work on them. Distance shooting was easy as the ballistics curve was very flat. Zeroed in a 200 yards you where roughly 1inch high at 100 and just under 5inch low at 300 with the 85gr bullets.

I love my .17HMR and i wouldnt discount its power at 150yrds. I have shot mine through a 8" round farm post at 100yrds and had it go clean through. I have also killed a couple yotes with it and have not had one run past 100yrds yet. Have droped a few right at the bait pile as well.

243 is fun on groundhogs

This. I have a Savage model 12 BVSS in .243 and it's easy to manage varmint at ranges out toward 300+ yards. It can even play double duty if you want to hunt larger game in states that allow rifle hunting.

I would stick with a affordable round to shoot. I dont know what you make but I do for myself and I would still stick with a 223, the availability of cheap and good high end ammo is available. IF all you are thinking of is blasting coyotes and ground pigs all day. It's a great roung. Sight it in with cheap shit and you could shoot 4 times as much as one box of good stuff.

(I call the cheap stuff. the wolf steel case. catch on sale for 5.29-5.49 a box of 20. Not the brown bear laquered crap. which I do question as a quality round).

Plus there was some DPMS 24" and 16" bull barreled uppers on sale in the latest flyer from Midway for 349. You could probably make it in under total budget. But I cant see you building a complete AR at that price. Stock and buffer assem could push you over the 500 mark. (99 buck lower from spikes or even a cheaper one if you can find it and a LPK of some sorts for 42-50 and you would be at your 500 dollar range. Throw on a stock and buffer assem and you would be over). then be looking for glass as well.

Edited by Beegreenstrings

My 'hog gun is a Ruger M77 MkII in 22-250. $700 for the rifle, $150 for the scope and $20 for the bipod. I'm not the best shot in the world but I can still get half-inch groups at 100yds all day long with it.

Can be had for a little over $600. Dunno this seller, but here's an example: http://www.gunsamerica.com/924094990/Guns/Rifles/Ruger-Rifles/Model-77/Ruger_M77_Mark_II_Varmint_22_250_SS_Blk_Gray_Lam_Closeout_NIB.htm