Custom SV1000 exhaust build (rookie)

gsxr07

Ok gang I'm giving my first try into modifying / working on bikes.

Dont mind the dirty bike!

My 2007 SV1000 came with some stock cans, I removed them and did some researching into a 2 into 1 exhaust system for the SV1000.

Today I purchased a D&D pipe for a GSXR 750 for my 2 into 1 idea, looking like should work with some cutting and welding.

Pictures should describe what im working towards. My plan is to take it to a custom shop and have them do the cutting on the "mid-pipe" and welding my idea together. Also plan on having the bike dyno tuned by brian w/ a power commander but thats a few steps down the line.

If this all goes to plan I hope to get brave and do some powder coating on the rear sets and other little items I can easily remove.

If anybody has any FRIENDLY opinions or advice I sure do apperciate it!

409197_10150643360682125_505592124_10985984_1398770860_n.jpg

401520_10150643362667125_505592124_10985997_454970480_n.jpg

404173_10150643365462125_505592124_10986020_1188379097_n.jpg

lol haha thanks I wanted her to hold the pipe so I could get a good angle with the camera..... "thats what she said". But yes I was hoping to hear about some people/shops that might be able to help me come up with a finished product. I'd really like to keep the money within OR.

Theres a Youtube video where the same guy compares three different pipes on the SV1K (searched, but couldn't find it again). If you're at this stage, I'm guessing that you've seen it. Of the three, the one that sounded the best to me was the 2-1 style. For some reason, it seems to have a deeper tone. I would think it would be just the opposite as its pushing more volume through a single outlet.

Keep us posted. I love the rumble of my SV1K. Yosh RS3 carbon slip-ons that I picked up on ebay for a song. They had been rashed on the outer edges, so I took off the end caps, turned them 180 degrees, and mounted the flipped cans on the other side of the bike (right on left, left on right). Works for me.

Theres a Youtube video where the same guy compares three different pipes on the SV1K (searched, but couldn't find it again). If you're at this stage, I'm guessing that you've seen it. Of the three, the one that sounded the best to me was the 2-1 style. For some reason, it seems to have a deeper tone. I would think it would be just the opposite as its pushing more volume through a single outlet.

Keep us posted. I love the rumble of my SV1K. Yosh RS3 carbon slip-ons that I picked up on ebay for a song. They had been rashed on the outer edges, so I took off the end caps, turned them 180 degrees, and mounted the flipped cans on the other side of the bike (right on left, left on right). Works for me.

I did about 2 weeks worth of reading before actually pulling the trigger on the D&D. I'm all for the 2 to 1. Weight reduction, it looks better, since V-TWIN fires offset it shouldent be a problem for a single exhaust. I plan on keeping everyone posted with PICS all the way to the DYNO!

I did about 2 weeks worth of reading before actually pulling the trigger on the D&D. I'm all for the 2 to 1. Weight reduction, it looks better, since V-TWIN fires offset it shouldent be a problem for a single exhaust. I plan on keeping everyone posted with PICS all the way to the DYNO!

Subscribed...as long as your Asian friend is included in all pics

not a fan of D&D. i had a set on my TLR and the rivets would come loose on the inlet flange, probably because i was so ridiculously fast on that thing. aaaanyway, i had to re rivet them twice in a year. i also had to repack them twice, and i thought they were heavy. you might also check the inside diameter of the can so it matches your exhaust since its for a 4 popper. i ended up with yoshis which were much lighter and sounded better and held up better.

good luck.

(initiate "Exhaust Scavenging" debate) :cool:

Hope this helps a little.

The SV has a flange between the pipe and can. If the GSXR is a slip on, you need to have a flange welded on to the can. (you can buy adapters but that's $).

Another option is to cut the flange off and sleeve the connection.

Once you take the pipes off the bike, you can readily see where cutting and welding a "block-off plate" to the left side makes sense. I'm sure any decent welder can handle doing that. BTW, the sharp backwards curve in the pipe from the rear cylinder doesn't look pretty but I would leave that part intact. (you'll see what I mean once you remove the exhaust.)

Keep an eye open for an SV650 passenger peg to clean up the look after that left side pipe is gone.

IMO, you might actually be better off selling the GSXR can, and getting one with a flange ready to go. D&D makes them for the SV also.

For reference, I believe M4 makes a 2-1 exhaust (3/4 system since you reuse the front head pipe) IIRC, Yoshimura no longer does.

OK, enough rambling...Good luck, can't wait to see it.

Edited by pista

I plan on buying an adapter to make it fit and yes I've read and sorta seen where the blockage should go. HOWEVER... i'm still searching for a welder/cutter/shop, anybody wanna make some extra funds???

BTW thanks for the input i really really apperciate it! :bow:

Hope this helps a little.

The SV has a flange between the pipe and can. If the GSXR is a slip on, you need to have a flange welded on to the can. (you can buy adapters but that's $).

Another option is to cut the flange off and sleeve the connection.

Once you take the pipes off the bike, you can readily see where cutting and welding a "block-off plate" to the left side makes sense. I'm sure any decent welder can handle doing that. BTW, the sharp backwards curve in the pipe from the rear cylinder doesn't look pretty but I would leave that part intact. (you'll see what I mean once you remove the exhaust.)

Keep an eye open for an SV650 passenger peg to clean up the look after that left side pipe is gone.

IMO, you might actually be better off selling the GSXR can, and getting one with a flange ready to go. D&D makes them for the SV also.

For reference, I believe M4 makes a 2-1 exhaust (3/4 system since you reuse the front head pipe) IIRC, Yoshimura no longer does.

OK, enough rambling...Good luck, can't wait to see it.

I'm open to suggestions.... I'm by no means a pro. I've never cut metal or welded anything. So if the spot to cut and block off is as easy as they say..... i'd say your best guess is as good as mine. Thank you very much sir for your offer, i can compensate.

Post #13.

I can weld it.

I want you to mark it and cut it or mark it. You can get a cheap metal saw, unless you need it notched.

Only reason I am reluctant to cutting is because im not sure how you plan on building the exhaust.

Post #13.

I can weld it.

I want you to mark it and cut it or mark it. You can get a cheap metal saw, unless you need it notched.

Only reason I am reluctant to cutting is because im not sure how you plan on building the exhaust.

^This guy. He can weld it. :bow: