SHTF/Bug Out Rant. Sort of.

dorifto240

Make your own solar panels? :lol:

I see this is following the pattern for all the other daily ZOMGBUGOUTSHTFWTFBBQ!!!! threads. Start off innocently enough talking about survival techniques, and end with a dick waving discussion about the type of gun to bring or how you can pick off a mosquito in Louisiana from the top of the Empire State Building with your AR15 with 2000 pounds of tactical gear bolted on it, and since it works in video games how you'd carry 5000 rounds of ammo, a chainsaw, rocket launcher with 100 rockets, shotgun with 300 rounds, medkit, berserker kit, and quad damage while traveling with the greatest of ease.

Can we have a SHTF subforum already so this shit stays off the front page?

tumblr_lsb8va2KCs1qhq1pjo1_500.gif

• Upvote 1

The Ant and the Grasshopper, I'm done.

The most feared and possible doomsday scenario is simply something happening to one or more of the main fuel line feeds to a sector of the country. Food would no longer flow to and from that area properly, and hunger and chaos would begin.

People fall into one of three groups immediately. Those that rob/steal/kill to survive, those that won't let them, and the largest group that just sit down/cry and give up.

What would really happen? Something like the blackout in New York City.

But there were three of them, 1965, 1977 and 2003. Only one had extreme trouble.

So I guess the odds are one in three for a city to lose control.

The 1977 event lasted parts of two days:

Looting and vandalism were widespread, hitting 31 neighborhoods, including most poor neighborhoods in the city. Possibly the hardest hit were Crown Heights, where 75 stores on a five-block stretch were looted, and Bushwick where arson was rampant with some 25 fires still burning the next morning. At one point two blocks of Broadway, which separates Bushwick from Bedford-Stuyvesant in Brooklyn, were on fire. Thirty-five blocks of Broadway were destroyed: 134 stores looted, 45 of them set ablaze. Thieves stole 50 new Pontiacs from a Bronx car dealership.[1] In Brooklyn, youths were seen backing up cars to targeted stores, tying ropes around the stores' grates, and using their cars to pull the grates away before looting the store.[1] While 550 police officers were injured in the mayhem, 4,500 looters were arrested.[1]

In all, 1,616 stores were damaged in looting and rioting. 1,037 fires were responded to, including 14

multiple-alarm fires. In the largest mass arrest in city history, 3,776 people were arrested. Many had to be stuffed into overcrowded cells, precinct basements and other makeshift holding pens. A Congressional study estimated that the cost of damages amounted to a little over US$300 million.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_blackout_of_1977

Granted it started and stayed in poor areas of town. But given time, disorder wouldn't have stayed there.

That example is any major hurricane. Hurricane Andrew caused neighborhoods to defend themselves. People taking turns standing at the end of the street, day and night, with shotguns works very well. The disorder and lack of services and supply lasted for weeks. Your food and water was limited to .. well... your food and water. Whatever you had stored for emergency use. If you could find it after your house was flattened.

So I guess the next most probable worst scenario after "lack of food because there is no fuel to deliver it" would be simply extraordinary high winds. I've been through three of those. I had enough food, water, and shotguns.

If you think crap won't kick off in Western countries think of the UK riots last year. Homes and businesses were robbed an looted with no fear of the already overstretched police. Couple of ventilated looters would have put an end to that shit pretty quick.

I'm taking my vstrom and some spare gas. I'm not planning for the mad max scenario - I'm thinking Katrina or LA riots. Throw some knobby tires on the strom and I can go cross country or in/around/between the gridlocked cars. If I can't find regular civilization within 1000 miles (the range I could carry gas cans for) then the strom becomes a source of parts for things like a generator/wind turbine/ electrical power to start fires etc.

I like that idea.

I also like turtles (both normal, teenage, and mutant) and flow charts.