fz1 transmission rebuild project thread...

oldschoolsdime92

Well I started in on the fz1 tonight. It has a kick in second gear. From what I have researched, thats typically the dogs, which also leads to a bent shift fork. So here we go. First the engine must come out. So far I have removed the tank, some of the air box, and started bagging and tagging all the parts. I didn't have a bunch of time tonight so I will post more pics as I go.

fz1.jpg

100_1310.jpg

100_1311.jpg

100_1313.jpg

100_1314.jpg

Edited by oldschoolsdime92

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Need a late night hand Gimmie a call.

:wtf:

I did this with a '94 zx6 a year back, it was pretty easy. The hardest part was getting the shift forks out of the crankcase for some reason. I only took maybe 2 pictures then, don't forget to take a bunch!

From the sounds of it, the worst part is going to be removing the flywheel, and actually getting the engine out of the motorcycle.

I have a puller if you need it. I could drop it by with those other parts or you can stop over.

Need a late night hand Gimmie a call.

I can help too.......but not sure about the late night hand thing:eek: j/k Anden, knew what you were actually offering here:D

I have a small parts case you can borrow to help keep fasteners/smalls all seperated + might make reassembly easier for ya

Thanks guys. I actually have purchased a donor engine, so I won't miss any ride time, and I can fix the transmission bits and not miss any ride time, and also take my time to make sure its done right. I have a tendency to rush sometimes, and I don't want to rush this. Heres the pics from today..

Made big progress

429556_10151283911360650_598330649_23139483_1186105711_n.jpg

Edited by oldschoolsdime92

Damn! Ya dropped it already?! Hope you didnt hurt your back bro, if you need help bolstering the transplant back in dont hesitate to holla

Granda080 helped get it out. Hopefully the new engine will be here by the weekend. Your more than welcome to come help us out. It's prob going to be a 3 person job to get it back in

Granda080 helped get it out. Hopefully the new engine will be here by the weekend. Your more than welcome to come help us out. It's prob going to be a 3 person job to get it back in

Happy to help as always! Another hand putting it in would be helpful. I was gonna text you that earlier.

For sure, as long as its pre-5pm Saturday or post-12pm Sunday - I have a show in Dayton Saturday night and wont get home until early Sunday morning, so I can help you out man

Yes I found the engine on ebay.I have never purchased an engine on ebay, and I was really uptight to do so this time. I've never purchased an engine that I was not removing from the donor vehicle myself. Snot, Its shipping from York PA. They supposedly are shipping the engine in the morning. I will keep you guys updated.