DSLR reccomendations

crb

Okay so I was going to pickup an alternate carry gun with my allowance, but wife and I want to start a family next year so I am thinking about a DSLR instead. I have wanted a DSLR for a while now, and every time I get the cash together I get a gun instead. I really like the size of the Nikon d90, but a d7000 was recommended over it. The d7000 is out of my price range. Budget is $750-$1,000 I can add lenses and other accessories down the road.

I've looked at d90, d3000, xsi, t2i, t3i, and others. Most of these are Greek to me. I have a canon super zoom now. I can also upgrade cameras later which is why I am leaning towards the XSI. I don't need video capabilities really.

Your buying into a system since your big investments will be your lenses that can be used with any body (Nikon lenses with Nikon cameras, Canon with Canon, etc). In reality both are similar in quality and prices and you cant go wrong with either. I personally like Nikons.

I think you should go a little cheaper on the body and pick up another lens.

Your buying into a system since your big investments will be your lenses that can be used with any body (Nikon lenses with Nikon cameras, Canon with Canon, etc). In reality both are similar in quality and prices and you cant go wrong with either. I personally like Nikons.

I think you should go a little cheaper on the body and pick up another lens.

And this is why you ride a Honduh. :nono:

Canon.

/end thread.

They are both good, pick one and start building on your system.

I can find the D7000 lightly used for $1,000-1,050.

Used scares me just a bit, simply because I don't know everything to look for, and I don't want to get the shaft.

There are plenty of great choices. Obviously canon and nikon has been mentioned. Pentax is another good choice.

I have a Canon Rebel XS, and I love it but at times hate it. The buttons I need to push to adjust F-Stop and exposure aren't very well explained.

Two things I'd recommend:

1. Try out a few different cameras. Which one "feels" best to you? Ignore brand and everything else, except how it feels in your hand, and how the buttons are laid out. Can you make adjustments easily? Etc etc etc. It's a lot like buying a motorcycle, you'll just know.

2. Go to your local camera/photo shop. If you're in Columbus, I can't say enough good things about Cord Camera. They're great and they really know their stuff.

Get the best package you can afford, and then take photographs of EVERYTHING!

Cord use to have an awesome selection at the 5th Ave. location but that is not the case anymore. Gary who use to be The Man when it came to Cord now has his own shop at 1421 West Third Ave, Columbus, OH 43212 I think it is all used tho, but he has a very wide selection, possibly the best in town. This may be your best bet in Columbus. Midwest Photo Exchange on high street has some good stuff mostly new. And Columbus Camera Group is also fun to check out. Feel free to get a hold of me if you want to go camera shopping, it's always fun to bounce around these places.

I'm a manager over at the 5th Ave. Cord. We're the only Cord with used gear in the area. Stop by, say hi, and flash the official OR hand sign (the minivan) and I'll try to hook you up.

I'm a Nikon guy myself, because if you were working Pro in the late 80's & 90's- Canon was a joke to the serious shooter. Guess what was claimed as superior- the glass.

Chicks dig Nikons. That's all I'm saying. Aprilia's too for that matter.

I almost picked up the Nikond90 as HH Gregg had it clearenced out, but decided to stop at the local camera shop. I am glad I did, they actually had a clue at the camera shop. I chose the T3i over the t2i for 2 reasons the feel, and the swivel screen. I like the texture on the T3i, and how it felt in my hand. The T2i was slicker, and didn't stay put as well. The super zoom I had was a canon so I was more familiar with the canon menu and screens.

Edited by crb