DSLR reccomendations

crb

I'm a manager over at the 5th Ave. Cord.

I sort of mentioned that:

http://www.ohioriders.net/showpost.php?p=789695&postcount=17

We're the only Cord with used gear in the area. Stop by, say hi, and flash the official OR hand sign (the minivan) and I'll try to hook you up.

How is the used inventory there these days? I haven't been in there in a few years. I might be in the market for some stuff sometime fairly soon.

I'm a Nikon guy myself, because if you were working Pro in the late 80's & 90's- Canon was a joke to the serious shooter. Guess what was claimed as superior- the glass.

Chicks dig Nikons. That's all I'm saying. Aprilia's too for that matter.

Somebody has to use the inferior products. Without competition, the good stuff wouldn't get better! :lol:

Somebody has to use the inferior products. Without competition, the good stuff wouldn't get better! :lol:

Says the guy on the minibikes....:o

We just refocused on used camera gear this January, and have picked up business exponentially compared to the same timeframe last year. It was a little lost after Gary left, but we brought several strong people over. Jeff is there with the sole purpose of building the used business, and we now have my friend Zach there too. Pretty strong and personable crew.

Pricing for a new slr would be around $500 as the starting point. Used, I just sold a Sony A700 for $250, which the buyer got a hell of a deal. Got a Pentax K20 that's going to have an excellent price out the door too. A guy who barely used it traded it in for a new D7000. Because it's the newest and greatest...

Feel free to pm any questions. I've been doing this for years, working large format cameras doing commercial work, medium format Hasselblads doing weddings, and now digital doing weddings. Spent two years teaching it too.

. . .

We just refocused on used camera gear this January, and have picked up business exponentially compared to the same timeframe last year. It was a little lost after Gary left, but we brought several strong people over. Jeff is there with the sole purpose of building the used business, and we now have my friend Zach there too. Pretty strong and personable crew. . .

I had nearly given up on Cord, but with this news I'll have to add it back to my list of stops I make while in town.

• Upvote 1

Says the guy on the minibikes....:o

Jealousy. :lol:

Feel free to pm any questions. I've been doing this for years, working large format cameras doing commercial work, medium format Hasselblads doing weddings, and now digital doing weddings. Spent two years teaching it too.

Sounds like Rolo needs to help out some of the OR phtogs with a "class" on this stuff! :)

Today I received my new Sony A65. It is a Translucent Mirror DSLR and shoots 10 frames per second at full resolution (24.3 mp) with continuous forcus that also works in HD video mode. I also included a new 2.8 70-200 lens. The camera next to it is my Sony A560 gripped.

The best thing about using Sont gear is all my friends use either Nikon or Cannon so they don't ask to borrow my prime lens.

DSC00182.JPG

Today I received my new Sony A65. It is a Translucent Mirror DSLR and shoots 10 frames per second at full resolution (24.3 mp) with continuous forcus that also works in HD video mode. I also included a new 2.8 70-200 lens. The camera next to it is my Sony A560 gripped.

The best thing about using Sont gear is all my friends use either Nikon or Cannon so they don't ask to borrow my prime lens.

DSC00182.JPG

I have a Sony A330, can I borrow some lenses? Have any macros? :D

I now have 2 DT 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Zoom Lens (kit lens) that came with the A65 and A560. Neither of them have even been mounted to a body, if you need 1 of those I will sell either very cheap. I have 1 more that came with my A200 that I actually use. I have 2 Zeiss lens, a 16-50mm f/2.8, and a 85mm f/1.4 for when I thought I wanted to do portraits. It turns out that I really don't like shooting anything other than MX.

If you are ever in the Tuscarawas Co area and want to borrow 1 I would be more than happy to lend them to you. I need to look up that camera guy in C-bus and have my 560 professionally cleaned. My stuff takes a beating at the MX tracks.

This Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 is one of my favorite lens and what I use most at the MX tracks. It keeps me from having to make a lens change at the track where it always gets dusty in the afternoons. The cost is not to bad at $479 and would work well for anyone looking for a great walk around lens. I linked the Sony mount but they do make it for every major manufacture.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/609114-REG/Sigma_880_205_18_250mm_f_3_5.html

Sigma also makes a 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3D DC for $279. I don't own this model though so I can't provide any personal experience on the optics. Sigma is probably my favorite 3rd party lens supplier and I've never had a poor performer from them.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/404442-REG/Sigma_777205_18_200mm_f_3_5_6_3_DC_Lens.html

I had a Sigma 24-70 f2.8 that I used for weddings for 3 years. Excellent lens that can be picked up inexpensively. I have shot with the Nikon version too, and it is noticeably contrastier, but in the age of Photoshop, little difference does that make.

I also used the Sigma 10-20 to do interiors for the Grandview libraries, and it served it's purpose well.