Good deal or not

grapesmuggler27

Well I've been toying with the idea of a new street sled. Don't know much about sumos so I thought I would ask you experts here. http://dayton.craigslist.org/mcy/2848222605.html

Came across this and wanted to know if it was worth the risk and what should I look for when I looked at it?

Seems like a scam to me. How can you care that much about a bike, and be smart enough to "seal the garage", but then be too lazy to unseal it.... for nine years.

FWIW, I had a 625SMC that was a great bike, but vibrated so much that it blurred my vision. Honestly. Had it back to the dealer, who is a great mechanic, and he couldn't "balance" it any better. Sold it because of that.

Give the bike a shot. At that price, would be hard to go wrong. Nothing to lose by replying to the ad.

You got my PM. I am worried about the owner, etc also. But, again... That thing is low miles, but is still used and is worth probably around $2500. The issues were in the cams as I mentioned and you'd need to consider that. Also, no more 640s so, parts are gonna be hard to come across as we cut off certain years in parts production. Should be OK with this one as there were many 640s...

The bikes were awesome and have a ton of fans. Vibration is due to being a big cylinder single. Not sure on what you do to "balance" a bike to prevent vibration, but there are some easy ways like a vibration damper in the bars and rubber mounts for the triples. A lot of options. But, realize this isn't designed to be a street or highway cruiser. It is a track weapon with small bursts to and from where you want to be and go. People that ride them long distance and complain on vibration bought the wrong bike...

This has developed into the 690 and honestly, I would look at one of those vs the 640s...

decent deal with the miles. Most around that price have 6-9k miles. you can get one for like 24-2500 around 10k miles.

I'd like to have a Green 01 personally!

Have a buddy with one and it is a complete eye catcher!! But, a ton of fun nonetheless. They were really cool bikes and the wheels would be an awesome catch to slap on a 690. The 690 SMC went to tubeless spoked wheels...

It does not run... I would make a low ball offer (low 2Ks) and see if they take it. If they let you try to get it running then maybe its worth more.

I still do no tknow what the point of buying something like that and not riding it.... If your on it whos going to steal it :)

Vibration is due to being a big cylinder single. Not sure on what you do to "balance" a bike to prevent vibration, but there are some easy ways like a vibration damper in the bars and rubber mounts for the triples. A lot of options. But, realize this isn't designed to be a street or highway cruiser. It is a track weapon with small bursts to and from where you want to be and go. People that ride them long distance and complain on vibration bought the wrong bike...

I don't know that this is aimed at me, but since mine was the only vibration-related post up to that point, I'm gonna go with it.

Kirk at KRW is the guy I bought the bike from, and the one who tried to lessen the vibration. It'd be a stretch to say that Kirk doesn't know his stuff. He's got tons of experience, and could tell you what the valve clearance was on a 1973 Honda whatever.

Tried the usual fixes to dampen the vibration, nothing worked. Not designed to be a street or highway cruiser, but marketed as a full supermoto-style street bike with lights, signals, horn, etc? Okay.

The furthest I rode was from Lebanon to Hillsboro (about an hour and 15 minutes each way) on a Saturday. Hung my ass off the seat or sat on my foot most of the way home due to "discomfort".

The blurring of the vision would kick in after about 15 minutes, and I'm guessing that it would've happened on a track, too.

Can't lessen vibration? Counterbalancers do it. Honda had to ADD vibration to some of their Twins to make them more marketable. The 625 was a big single, and some of that is par for the course. I'm thinking that I just got a "Monday bike" or "Friday bike" as far as the engine build since everything else was above-par. Wish it would've been a Wednesday bike...

Awesome bike, other than the vibration. Engine had more than enough power. More than once I came out of a store to get on it, and someone would be there looking at it. Tons of fun. Only put 2k miles on it in 2 years.

Edited by YSR_Racer_99

I don't know that this is aimed at me, but since mine was the only vibration-related post up to that point, I'm gonna go with it.

Kirk at KRW is the guy I bought the bike from, and the one who tried to lessen the vibration. It'd be a stretch to say that Kirk doesn't know his stuff. He's got tons of experience, and could tell you what the valve clearance was on a 1973 Honda whatever.

Tried the usual fixes to dampen the vibration, nothing worked. Not designed to be a street or highway cruiser, but marketed as a full supermoto-style street bike with lights, signals, horn, etc? Okay.

The furthest I rode was from Lebanon to Hillsboro (about an hour and 15 minutes each way) on a Saturday. Hung my ass off the seat or sat on my foot most of the way home due to "discomfort".

The blurring of the vision would kick in after about 15 minutes, and I'm guessing that it would've happened on a track, too.

Can't lessen vibration? Counterbalancers do it. Honda had to ADD vibration to some of their Twins to make them more marketable. The 625 was a big single, and some of that is par for the course. I'm thinking that I just got a "Monday bike" or "Friday bike" as far as the engine build since everything else was above-par. Wish it would've been a Wednesday bike...

Awesome bike, other than the vibration. Engine had more than enough power. More than once I came out of a store to get on it, and someone would be there looking at it. Tons of fun. Only put 2k miles on it in 2 years.

Wasn't "aimed" at you but you did mention the vibration. Now you are comparing it to a twin... Not even remotely in the same ballpark. Ride a DRZ and yes, it will vibrate. Not as bad, but it is also a small displacement single with no HP...

At the track where it was really geared towards (I.E. Supermoto teams used them when there was an unlimted class like HMC) and you will notice that they are great machines. Yes, they have horns, lights, etc. But, so does an EXC KTM and honestly, they are off road designed bikes first and street bikes second. See, we take race bikes and add lights. Not like Suzuki or Kawasaki and create wheezer platforms like the DRZ and KLR that have zero power, swing door shocks and outdated powerplants. But yes, they too vibrate.

These are bikes that while "street machines" are no different than riding on the back seat of an R6. They are thought to be street legal as they will appeal to a broader range of customers. But, having a thin and hard seat, long travel suspension, a big single cylinder powerplant and tall, wide handlebars, doesn't make it a great street choice when riding anything outside an urban setting.

Have you ever ridden a current crop MX bike? They vibrate if sent over to street duty and those are smaller motors, but better HP than say the 400s out there.

Never bashed Kirk and yes, he is knowledged. But, I wouldn't say as much as Mitch at HMC. Like I stated, rubber mounts, bigger vibration handlebar dampers. Did you try those things? Even still, it is still going to vibrate... I have ridden a 640 a few times as a friend has one like I mentioned. Great and totally fun bike. However, I would NEVER consider it for a casual jaunt around the country side.

It has nothing to do with the day it was built. Trust me. That's an old tale told through the years. I can promise you, in Austria, they work so few hours vs us here that end of day or end of week isn't an issue. Plus, the motors are built in a totally different plant and have such QC control that it won't matter... But, they do make mistakes as they are all human like us all and will pump out a mistake once in a while...

Point is that the 640 was a cool bike. A little rough around the edges, but the 690 is a better choice. But, for $2k-$2500, I'd jump on it. Vibrations and all...

I have ridden a dr 650 and a klr 650 before both bigger displacement singles with WAY less vibes. Is it the state of tune that the ktm motor is in that makes it vibe so hard? I loved my demo ride I did but it made my hands numb in a matter of mins. I have seen the new 690 duke at rousch and it is way bigger then the 2001 duke I test rode. Do they still vibe as bad? and how do they compare for long range use?

Early LC4-based KTM's vibrated like a motherfucker. Much worse than most big-bore singles. My 620rxc was like riding a maytag powered dildo.

Lots of reasons for it (counterbalancing, mounts, frame design, etc.), but if you don't like your balls going numb after 20 miles, I'd look to an SM610 instead.

I have ridden a dr 650 and a klr 650 before both bigger displacement singles with WAY less vibes. Is it the state of tune that the ktm motor is in that makes it vibe so hard? I loved my demo ride I did but it made my hands numb in a matter of mins. I have seen the new 690 duke at rousch and it is way bigger then the 2001 duke I test rode. Do they still vibe as bad? and how do they compare for long range use?

The older singles were vibranators for sure. However, it isnt a fair comparison to the KLR and DR as they are not high output singles when you look at design.

The 690 Duke (old model as we do not have the newest one here in the US) you saw isn't really that much bigger, but is more of a street chassis with a few bigger elements, etc. The 690 SMC, 690 Enduro R (All new this year) and 690 Duke shared the same backbone for a chassis. However, a few differences in forks, wheels, etc were made.

Yes, the new 690 Enduro R vibrates a bit. Not near as bad as of old, though. Come test ride one at VMD as I think we are still scheduled to be there for that event.