mayors against illegal guns.

kawi kid

I heard about this group only a few times before the super bowl but saw their commercial and.had to look into them.

http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org

This group is headed by mayor Bloomberg. They are trying to pass themselves off as a pro second amendment group but we all know anything Mr Bloomberg is associated with is no doubt anti-gun. They specifically seem to be targeting the so called gun show loop hole. Basically they want to shut down the sale of firearms at gun shows. In theory, if they got their way, any gun that is sold or transferred between individuals would have to go thru an ffl. But that would mean if you would like to pass your great Grandpa shotgun down to your kid some day you would have to take it to an ffl and do the process over like buying a new gun for your kid. They are trying to tell anyone who will listen that illegal guns are sold everyday at gun shows but in all honesty less than one percent of guns found at crime scenes are bought from gun shows. You can find more facts like that on www.gunfacts.info

Now I got too looking into the members of this organization and I found that Ohio is number four on the list of total members. I think there is around 50. Here is the list of Ohio mayors supporting this group.

http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org/html/members/members.shtml#OH

I know there are people here from all around the state and there is a good chance that there is someone on this forum that has one of these mayors. I'm encouraging you to write them and express your concern over their support. There is a possibility that they might not even know they have been signed up for it and can request to be taken off the list.

I'll make anyone that wants to get involved a deal. Anyone who writes a letter or email to one of these Ohio mayors I'll match you and send one also. I encourage everyone else to do the same. It would take 5 min to write an email explaining your stance and encourage them to look closer at what this group stands for.

Thoughts? Questions? Concerns? I think if we can change a few minds of some.men and women on that list we did good work.

Edited by kawi kid

LoL.. Yeah.. give Bloomberg a ring and tell him you don't like his idea. :lol:

I never said call up Bloomberg, but I did say contact the supporting mayors. This group touts that they have over 600 mayors who support them. Why not try to reduce that number? Its no worse than writing a letter to your congressman or Senator.

I like gun shows. I like the fact that I can buy/sell to private individuals at gun shows. Hell, I like the fact that as a private owner I can buy/sell to whomever I damn well please.

But my consciense does struggle a little not knowing whether or not the person to whom I'm selling a gun is legally allowed to own a gun. I was at a gun show in Cleveland once, with a brushed stainless Desert Eagle 44 mag in my hand for sale. I'll admit it here, the only serious inquiries I had were guys that looked like they were in a gang, and had no serious in guns as much as they wanted to be armed for cheap. I lied to them and told them I had just bought it because I didn't want to sell it to them. If I had the ability to run a background check on those guys myself I probably would have considered selling to them.

I support private sales, I support gun shows, but the public needs access to the background check service that dealers have access to.

No surprise the number of Cuyahoga county mayors on the list, especially in the east side suburbs. A very liberal area of the state.

I may complain to our mayor but greatly doubt it would help as I am in a very small minority in the area.

If you look at the agenda of the group they don't have any positions that are "anti-gun" but nearly every position is about whittling away 2nd amendment rights.

Craig

...But my consciense does struggle a little not knowing whether or not the person to whom I'm selling a gun is legally allowed to own a gun...

You could only sell to people that can produce their valid Ohio CHL...

Honestly, that's why I've sold a few on this forum. Although anyone can lie on the interwebz, I can weed out the douchers in a few posts and choose not to sell to them. On this forum, I've never regretted a gun sale and feel that I've actually made a few friends.