So I need to replace furnace and AC this year...

jagr

Let me know what I need. Recommend systems, estimated cost etc.

2200 sq.ft. 4 level split. Current system is a gas furnace and underpowered AC just shy of 30 years old.

Any HVAC pros here?

Thanks All.

Edited by jagr

100,000 BTU furnace, I would recommend getting a York 97% modulating variable speed blower, and a 2.5 ton 18 seer Ac unit. If you can do zoning with 4 levels do it any questions pm me.

Edit: re done my math only 100,000 BTU is needed unless you have single pane windows

Edited by grapesmuggler27

I can absolutely recommend Fire and Ice HVAC.

Replaced my furnace and a/c at the old mansion, approx. 30% less than the other two "name" companies in town I called for estimates.

Buddy of mine started/owns the company. Known him 20~ years. Pretty good darter, too..., which is how I met him.

***edit: not that he won't give you his best deal, but tell him I sent you. It's always good to remind businesses that good work is rewarded with referrals.

I know you've recommended them before but last summer they came out to one of my moms rentals. I recommended them based on you post. They told her the entire system needed replaced it was beyond repair. That was $100.

She called another place and it was a $150 motor that went out.

Sorry bub i can't work with them.

120,000 BTU furnace, I would recommend getting a York 97% modulating variable speed blower, and a 2.5 ton 18 seer Ac unit. If you can do zoning with 4 levels do it any questions pm me.

I know Max says you are awesome at this. Is this your profession?

I know you've recommended them before but last summer they came out to one of my moms rentals. I recommended them based on you post. They told her the entire system needed replaced it was beyond repair. That was $100.

She called another place and it was a $150 motor that went out.

Sorry bub i can't work with them.

Hmmmm.:nono:

That doesn't sound like them.

Maybe they've grown too much?

Next time I see Scott I need to have a chat with him.

Sorry, Jason - wouldn't knowingly recommend someone that does that. I retract my previous endorsement.

Edited by jagr

Sorry, Jason - wouldn't knowingly recommend someone that does that. I retract my previous endorsement.

Maybe it was a turd working for him that day. If he wants her number to investigate ill get it to you.

The issue with a lot of residential HVAC company's are most of their techs pay is more commission based. As I rule of thumb I go by the 25% rule. If my repairs exceed 25% of a replacement I would recommend replacement.

Been doing hvac for sometime for the system mentioned you looking around 8-10k but should come with a 10 year part and labor warranty lifetime warranty on heat exchanger and 10 year on compressor. You want the most efficiency look into geothermal, but your looking at 20k

Speaking of geothermal, and you being in the profession I see, have you noticed pricing on this coming down and do you recommend it? I understand it's more $$ up front but pays off in the long run. I just haven't done the math on this though.

This is kind of a thread jack but not really. :)

Oops hit edit instead of quote. Dang mod powerz.

Maybe someone was being a turd that day. I know he has staff and isnt a one man show. If he wants her number to investigate ill get it to you. I value your opinion on everything else. :cool:

Speaking of geothermal, and you being in the profession I see, have you noticed pricing on this coming down and do you recommend it? I understand it's more $$ up front but pays off in the long run. I just haven't done the math on this though.

This is kind of a thread jack but not really. :)

The price has came down a little plus the federal government is still giving tax breaks on a geo. Last time I sold one it was 21k but she got I wanna say 30% back from tax rebates. I would always recommend a geo if you have the space and cash for it.

Keep thread jacking Chevy. I knew less than zero about this.

lol. I'm building a mental list in my head on stuff for my house someday. Geothermal is something I have really thought about just haven't researched. I'm also interested in the instant water heaters, can't remember what they are called. Instead of heating the water all day, it only heats what you need/use.

Oops hit edit instead of quote. Dang mod powerz.

Maybe someone was being a turd that day. I know he has staff and isnt a one man show. If he wants her number to investigate ill get it to you. I value your opinion on everything else. :cool:

PM it to me. Unless he's a completely different person than he used to be, he will want to make this right. Used to be just him and his brother, and I see his trucks all over these days.

PS: edit the name out, por favor. I can't in good conscience recommend someone that does that stuff.

PM it to me. Unless he's a completely different person than he used to be, he will want to make this right. Used to be just him and his brother, and I see his trucks all over these days.

PS: edit the name out, por favor. I can't in good conscience recommend someone that does that stuff.

Info sent.

jagr pm me your number and i can explain the differance between differant units and what not

Will do. Maybe I can get you over for a look see in a couple weeks. I'm wanting to do this April-ish. Are there equipment lead times/availability issues I need to consider? also recommend a couple brands I can research.

The price has came down a little plus the federal government is still giving tax breaks on a geo. Last time I sold one it was 21k but she got I wanna say 30% back from tax rebates. I would always recommend a geo if you have the space and cash for it.

Cool. Thanks man.

Live at range... heat problem solved

I will be picking up a wood stove as well. I have a huge hearth piped to a chimney but the previous occupants took the stove with. fuckerz!!!

Joe, don't forget I want a tune up as soon as the weather gets decent. Anytime really this spring when the AC unit comes out from under the cover.

Jagr, I don't do this for a living but know a decent amount about the ins/outs of geothermal. Parents had like the 1st generation ever 15 years ago, and since then had another unit. There are plus's and minus's.

Some plus's; the water used in the geo unit also helps to warm the water used in your water heater. The temperature stays pretty constant in every room BUT you can't really do diff. temps in diff. rooms except closing vents. You get a huge rebate, my parents actual system went out this year, was 12K to replace BUT got the 30% back from govt. That was 14yrs old. VERY efficient, from what they were told, it would pay for itself in like 10-15 yrs. Theirs is electric and Im not sure you can get one with gas.

Cons; stated above, no room thermostats avail to my knowledge(Joe can help here). Can't change the temp up and down constantly, they told my parents doing this would basically make if totally not efficient and just to leave it at 1 temp 24/7. In the winters the water that transfers to the water heater actually causes the bath water etc. to be cooler so you have to turn up the elements on the heater/temp. Opposite in summer.

I love it when I am home, if I was building I know 100% I would get Geothermal. And if we bought a house and needed to replace a unit, 100% geothermal there too.

Joe, don't forget I want a tune up as soon as the weather gets decent. Anytime really this spring when the AC unit comes out from under the cover.

Jagr, I don't do this for a living but know a decent amount about the ins/outs of geothermal. Parents had like the 1st generation ever 15 years ago, and since then had another unit. There are plus's and minus's.

Some plus's; the water used in the geo unit also helps to warm the water used in your water heater. The temperature stays pretty constant in every room BUT you can't really do diff. temps in diff. rooms except closing vents. You get a huge rebate, my parents actual system went out this year, was 12K to replace BUT got the 30% back from govt. That was 14yrs old. VERY efficient, from what they were told, it would pay for itself in like 10-15 yrs. Theirs is electric and Im not sure you can get one with gas.

Cons; stated above, no room thermostats avail to my knowledge(Joe can help here). Can't change the temp up and down constantly, they told my parents doing this would basically make if totally not efficient and just to leave it at 1 temp 24/7. In the winters the water that transfers to the water heater actually causes the bath water etc. to be cooler so you have to turn up the elements on the heater/temp. Opposite in summer.

I love it when I am home, if I was building I know 100% I would get Geothermal. And if we bought a house and needed to replace a unit, 100% geothermal there too.

you can do zoning with a geo unit, but they are right you loose efficency, zoning is more for comfort. not all geos do the hot water for the house, they can but doing a on demand hot water heater is normally better in the long run. Geos are the way to go you can also do thing like a duel fuel system if geos are out of your price range then doing a heat pump with gas back up is another option prolly second best to a geo