cycle specialties

serpentracer

this place is a big dealer/shop in cincy with 2 stores. my beef is with the orginal store in western hills.

usually ok to deal with on parts n stuff. which is all the business I've ever done there. I hear their service shop is kinda shitty and expensive.

tell you how shitty it must be, I took a brake reservoir there once and the shop guys in the shop out back (separate building) didn't even know what it was. I thought he meant what bike it came from but no, he had no idea it was a brake reservoir.:rolleyes:

I wouldn't let them change my tires....

anyway why I decided to make this post...

I needed to order some parts for my R6. (valve pads) all day Im itching to find out if they have some in stock or will I have to order them.

so I get off work and rush over. only to find a closed store on a Monday.:rolleyes: I know it's winter and all but being closed through the normal business week is a bad idea in my opinion.

hard telling how much business they are losing.

the doors had a ups and a fedex tag on it. plus I left and came home to order them on the net.

a free tip to a business out there reading this.... look, I drove to the store and tried to buy locally. if you're not even going to be open on weekday you're not worth my time to bother. I'm not going to drive back the next day. I will just skip it and buy from the internet. less hassles, no driving, faster shipping, don't have to return to pick up my parts etc etc etc.

so just keep that sort of thing in mind if you're trying to keep your doors open...

/end rant.

Edited by serpentracer

I'm not trying to defend them in the least, however, the Fin Feather and Fur in Middleburg is not open on Mondays either. Its pretty frustrating because I expect places like that (and service centers) to be open during the weekdays at a minimum. By the sounds of it, you probably got the parts you wanted since you purchased them yourself instead of them ordering the pads.

I'm not trying to defend them in the least, however, the Fin Feather and Fur in Middleburg is not open on Mondays either. Its pretty frustrating because I expect places like that (and service centers) to be open during the weekdays at a minimum. By the sounds of it, you probably got the parts you wanted since you purchased them yourself instead of them ordering the pads.

well they won't order the wrong stuff because they let you choose on a parts diagram the stuff you need. that's why I like them. but I remember the last time I ordered something there. it took a about 12 days for it to arrive. plus they're closed on sundays so that was 14 days I had to wait for a simple part that was in stock at the supplier. which tells me they waited a few days to get a few other orders before submitting any.

then I had to drive all the way there (1hr to and from) to get it.

I willing to support the local shops and pay the little extra but if they can't be open on a day everyone should be open then oh well their loss.

why not be open less hours if they're trying to cut back for winter?

I mean shit do 11am- 6pm mon-sat. that would be about the same hrs through the week they're using now. instead of being closed sunday and monday.

I have to agree with Serpentracer about the Western hills store, I ordered a set of ghost mounting brackets for my saddle bags and when I got them the box had been opened and one of them I swear was used. It had dents on the lock where the key goes in and works with force, and some of the wrinkle paint was scuffed looked like from shipping but maybe mounting I couldn't be for sure. They would not fit like I was told they would without moving my rear turn signals. Well where I work there are lathes and mills and a few welders, so with much work removing fender and supports and measuring, measure twice drill and mill once I got them on without moving my rear turn signals.

While there ordering the brackets, I asked one of the salesmen about tire mounting and not scratching the chrome rims, he said (huh) you have to ask the guys that do that about how they do it...... I guess the short temper evil eye I gave him caused him to respond a second time with oh no sir they don't scratch the rims they use plastic tools for that and we have many satisfied customers he said with a smile this time.

Well I was skeptical about that and after getting my brackets I wouldn't let them change my tires either.

I'm not going to say anything in regards to the shop itself, but understand that most shops will have winter hours until March first. HOWEVER, it is not uncommon to have shops closed on Mondays. Rarely do they run 6 days a week anymore unless they can warrant it via customers and demand.

In PA and the eastern parts of the US along with many in the areas around the deeper Mid West, closed on Mondays is very common.

I also hate to make this obvious, but to be upset that you drove down to find out they were closed, with today's smart phones and internet use, it takes maybe 2 minutes to do a search and see what their hours are/were.

You want to hear crazy, it used to be a LOOOOONG time ago, it was common that shops were closed on Wednesdays. Now, it is VERY rare. But, I still have a shop that is closed on Wed like old school. Mid week right before a weekend trip, etc and they are closed... THAT is a losing business idea.

As for the other stuff? I've heard some serious issues with service and have also heard some issues with parts. For OEM, I know it is a drive, but Clinton County is a great shop for Cincy residents.

You want to hear crazy, it used to be a LOOOOONG time ago, it was common that shops were closed on Wednesdays. Now, it is VERY rare. But, I still have a shop that is closed on Wed like old school. Mid week right before a weekend trip, etc and they are closed... THAT is a losing business idea.

I like the idea of Wednesday closes versus Monday. I usually want to get out and work on the bike on a Monday if I have been working all weekend on it rather than Wednesday. Even if you did have a weekend trip coming up, why would Thursday or Friday be bad? If you had to ship a part for the trip, I would hope it was done well enough in advance that 1 day (Wed vs Thurs) wouldn't make a difference.

its also Presidents Day If this happened today.. but either way i wouldn't say its their fault a lot of motorcycle shops have a week day closed to make up for the weekend. Gun shops are like this too..

I forgot about that but the posted store hours said closed on monday.

I would simply shorten the open hours and stay open 6 days. makes way more sense. and everyone gets the same work hours either way.

I'm sure they like the 2 days off though.

I like the idea of Wednesday closes versus Monday. I usually want to get out and work on the bike on a Monday if I have been working all weekend on it rather than Wednesday. Even if you did have a weekend trip coming up, why would Thursday or Friday be bad? If you had to ship a part for the trip, I would hope it was done well enough in advance that 1 day (Wed vs Thurs) wouldn't make a difference.

I literally have only had one dealership closed on Wednesdays... Most shops if they close 2 days a week (very common) are closed on Mondays.

<snip>

As for the other stuff? I've heard some serious issues with service and have also heard some issues with parts. For OEM, I know it is a drive, but Clinton County is a great shop for Cincy residents.

I liked Cycle Specialties when I went there. No problems with their accessories people or sales people.

Also, +1 to Clinton County Motorsports. From my house just east of Dayton, it's 30 minutes taking the scenic route by motorcycle, or 20 by car/highway and I'll go there every time. I've used their service, parts, and accessories departments and was pleased every time.

(However, I won't EVER be returning to Tegtmeyer just up the road from CCM.)

Edited by palandor

• 2 weeks later...

well I got to hand it to cycle specialties. I ordered a new bmc filter on sat and it was at the shop on wed. and they're closed on monday. that must mean they put orders in right away. and the price was pretty much what it would have been to order it online with shipping. we need to talk about their tire prices though. lol

Edited by serpentracer