Need physics help!

ama146

This is probably trivial for most of you, but I am struggling with physics and this is a take-home quiz. I really don't know where to start on this so I thought maybe someone on here can point me in the right direction. Thanks for any help!

P.S. I'm not looking for someone to do the problem for me, I just need someone to explain HOW to solve it and maybe the formulas needed, etc.

2012-02-22_14-54-08_280.jpg

Edited by ama146

velocity is useless in this.

the 600N = the weight of the person*9.8

if the acceleration of the elevator is up you will subtract that to 9.8 as the force will be higher on the scale therefor you will add the acceleration from 9.8 if the elevator is going down. Any that have 0 acceleration will just have the 9.8. Looks like you will a few that are the same answer.

Edited by blue03636
backwards

velocity is useless in this.

the 600N = the weight of the person*9.8

if the acceleration of the elevator is up you will subtract that to 9.8 as the force will be higher on the scale therefor you will add the acceleration from 9.8 if the elevator is going down. Any that have 0 acceleration will just have the 9.8. Looks like you will a few that are the same answer.

Your signs are wrong but otherwise precisely.

Craig