Guns on campus

TopLeft

The state Supreme Court ruled Monday that the University of Colorado cannot ban concealed-weapon permit holders from bringing their guns to campus.

And while gun-rights activists are celebrating the ruling, CU says it discounts the regents' authority to govern safety on its campuses.

Colorado's highest court sided with Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, a gun-rights group that filed a lawsuit against CU in 2008, arguing that a university policy banning concealed weapons from its campuses violates state gun laws.

• Upvote 1

Colorado has a different situation. In Ohio we have to change the law first and then sue the universities.

The law change is working its way through the system now, probably a fall vote if I had to bet. You probably won't have to sue any universities at that point. ORC 9.68 is a pretty big stick to beat them with. I would suspect a couple of universities will sue the State over the change, a year or so later the Supreme Court will rule against the Universities and that will be the end of it.

The law change is working its way through the system now, probably a fall vote if I had to bet. You probably won't have to sue any universities at that point. ORC 9.68 is a pretty big stick to beat them with. I would suspect a couple of universities will sue the State over the change, a year or so later the Supreme Court will rule against the Universities and that will be the end of it.

Lets hope this comes to pass!