KLR 650 Ultimate urban commuter?

vw151

I bought a KLR from a friend last year, already had a ton of desert riding mods as he used to ride in the desert with it. I decided to add an exhaust, FMF powerbomb header, pannier racks and ammo cans and change the needle to a KLX needle and changed the jet in the carb. It's a lot meaner now. I haven't been around in awhile but if you know me you know I love sharing pics and video. Enjoy!!!!

I'm still waiting on the ammo cans in the mail, I'll have them painted and mounted up next week. I'm thinking flat black, maybe purple lids.

This is before I got the header and the jets but gives you an idea of what it sounds like. It's pretty loud for a KLR. I got the idle sorted out now too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYX3BfXEs7g

KLRmods_9-1.jpg

KLRmods_8.jpg

KLRmods_7.jpg

KLRmods_6-1.jpg

KLRmods_5.jpg

KLRmods_4-1.jpg

KLRmods_3-1.jpg

KLRmods_2-1.jpg

KLRmods_10.jpg

KLRmods_16.jpg

KLRmods_13.jpg

KLRmods_9.jpg

KLRmods_6.jpg

KLRmods_4.jpg

KLRmods_3.jpg

KLRmods_2.jpg

KLRmods.jpg

KLRmods_18.jpg

KLRmods_17.jpg

I'm ready to try my best.

Might want to get some better tires and better put that engine guard back on the bike. ;) Like that IMS tank.

Edited by buildit

Might want to get some better tires. ;) Like that IMS tank.

Tires are next on my list, I'm swaying back and forth between a nice 90/10 tire or something more trail oriented like a dunlop D606. For now these worn out Metzlers are doing alright for the majority street riding I do.

I will say, last weekend I watched "long way around" and "long way down" and I'm inspired to go adventure riding. I think this KLR might need a motor refresh though if I decide to go on any 20k mile road trips. ;)

I also love that tank, engine gaurd was just off for maintenance so I'm cleaning it. It's definitely going back on. Did a lot of general maintenance while I had it apart, coolant, oil, spark plug, typical stuff you neglect cause you don't feel like taking the tank off.

Edited by vw151

You will net better gains with an FMF canister with that Power header... Especially vs the 2 Bros...

You know, I figured that and would have went that route had I thought it through completely, but originally I bought the 2 bros on sale, then after I decided I wanted a stainless header and that's how I ended up with the combo. The FMF header just seemed like the nicest SS header for the money. the butt dyno has noticed decent gains so far. Front wheel actually lifts a little in 1st on the power now that I have the fueling sorted, no way it would do that before. It's a hoot to ride now, probably mostly cause its loud as hell.

From what I've read, I'm betting FMF can would get me another .5 hp, gains for full exhaust, airbox mod/uni filter, KLX needle and proper jet seem to be only around 3-5hp anyway, of course when you are starting at 31hp I guess that's pretty good. Bigger gains would be a 685 kit, ported heads and bigger valves, but hey, it's a KLR, let's not get out of hand. ;) if I ever have to crack the cases I'll probably put a 685 piston in it, otherwise it's done as far as I'm concerned.

I guess what I meant to say is, yes, you're probably right, that odd 4 stroke expansion chamber is probably tuned specifically for their cans.

Edited by vw151

Oh hell people put tractor mufflers on KLRs. :lol:

I have to admit, I've been chuckling to myself about putting a full exhaust on a KLR to begin with. It has to be the most undertuned 4V head, water cooled single on the planet. 31whp from a 650 4v watercooled single, jesus that's a turd, but on the other hand it'll run on gas from rural mexico.

either way, all I really wanted was for the bike to do a proper power wheelie like any respectable dirt bike should be able to do, I'm thinking that's a pipe dream unless I pour real money into the motor. :(

you guys just wait, it's gonna have flat black 20mm ammo cans with purple lids. It's gonna be so obnoxiously awesome you are gonna want to puke. Who knows, maybe the added weight of the ammo cans on the rear will get me those power wheelies yet.

Edited by vw151

It's a heavy bike but it wheelies okay. Not like a MX bike but my avitar lives as proof. Most my wheelies are for crossing ruts, logs and other obstacles. As for tires I like the Shinko 244's and Kenda track masters.

You could change the gearing. That would probably be the easiest way to power wheelie. ;) I have a 14/47 combo on mine right now. I also have the 685 kit that I bought because my '08 uses more oil than gas! I haven't put it on yet. Not sure when or if I ever will now after getting the WRR.

I have D606 tires too...

Oh, one more thing...my muffler bolts broke and muffler fell off on I75 SB in middle of Dayton. It got run over by big truck and knocked off to the side of the road. I didn;t know about the tractor muffler option at the time. :D

Edited by indypup

I might actually go taller on gearing, I joke I want klr power wheelies but really I want lower revs on the highway, I think the exhaust might give me the little extra grunt I need to do it.

Let me know how your 685 kit works out, I've heard good reviews.

Yes, I work downtown but I almost always park in a lot across from the william green building

hmm. prob. someone else then.

i'd always see it around gay an third, in the MC parking on the street.