Questions about Mid-Ohio

joshfz.2008

Hey guys thinking about trying out my first track day. Does anyone know how much the rental fee is for leathers? Or should I break down and buy my own? I know for the novice class you can have textile and was wondering if I buy the pants to match my textile jacket would pass tech. I've been running Continental ContiMotion tires would the be good enough for track day or should I buy a new set softer tires or possibly find some scrub tires, I know I've seen 35 motorsports have some scrub tires for sale.

Thanks

If you are just running in novice I wouldn't worry about getting a set of leathers right away, the only thing (with any of the two piece suits) is that they have to be 50% circumference zip togethers. They generally don't tech your gear. I'm not sure what M-O charges for rentals. If you plan on making it a habit, and it is addicting, Iron Pony had AGV leathers on sale for $300 for a full suit and they seems to be pretty good quality. They also have a lot of things on close out, so it's def worth a look.

As for tires, the only thing you need to make sure of is that they are at least 75% new. Again, unless your tires are worn or more than a year old, I wouldn't worry about getting a new set for novice. You generally don't push too hard until the afternoon anyway. If you check out MidOhio.com they have all the details on bike prep and gear.

See you at the track!

I'm just worried about buy leathers and having them sit in the closet, due to work schedule I'd be lucky to do more than 2 days a year. If I buy the pants to go with my jacket I'd also be able to wear them for back and forth to work. These are the pants I'm looking at http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/leather+motorcycle+jackets/shift_havoc+pants

I'm just worried about buy leathers and having them sit in the closet, due to work schedule I'd be lucky to do more than 2 days a year. If I buy the pants to go with my jacket I'd also be able to wear them for back and forth to work. These are the pants I'm looking at http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/leather+motorcycle+jackets/shift_havoc+pants

After you do trackdays you may prefer leathers for your street rides. I'd look for a perforated suit. Those pants look like they may be a little toasty in the summer, and they only have an 8" zipper to attach to the jacket.

I ride in novice @ mid-o, bought the $300 set of agv leathers at iron pony. I think it was a wise investment if for no other reason than my sweaty boys need not be where anyone else's sweaty boys were.

I only get about 2 track days in/year - and the leathers are fine, I just hang them in the basement through the year. As far as textile gear...even novice is a much more spirited experience than anything you've done on the road - beyond just "passing tech" you need to think about if you're comfortable knee out (almost down :) ), hanging off the bike at 70mph. Do that once, and you'll forget all about the extra couple hundred you spent on the leathers - it's a nice, warm (very) security blanket. I personally went for a used back protector too, I think it's invaluable. Would definitely rather be prepared if I hit the deck. My $.02 - Spend the money, your 8 month old will appreciate it when he's able to throw the football with you in later life.

I think I might just rent leathers for the first time then go from there. What else should I be worried about as far as the bike its self, I plan on removing the center stand anyways.

Novice group is designed to be easy for the starter to get his/her bike to the track. Ideally, remove the mirrors. If not, point all the way forward and use painter's tape to tape the mirror part. Use painter's tape on all lights both front and rear and all lenses - turns and reflectors.

Remove the fuses for the tail light and brake light. DO NOT - DO NOT leave the tail on so it has a brake showing. Also, it is recommended that you pull the connector for the headlight so it is not on.

Use DUCT TAPE on all wheel weights - clip on and tape on style.

Remove your license plate and related nuts and bolts.

Double check the following:

-Torque on drain plug

-Torque on oil fill

-Torque on filter

-Check your brake pads. Mostly the fronts. You want good pads.

-Check the typically overlooked like levers, throttle play and return, rearsets for loose, exhaust with a jiggle to make sure it is tight.

-MAKE SURE YOUR CHAIN IS THE PROPER TENSION!! Too many track day riders come in to tech with banjo tight chains. The chain needs to be loose so the rear suspension can work properly. Under load, the chain gets tighter. If like a banjo, under load when the rear squats, the chain gets even tighter and can snap. Snapped chains and cases typically do not mix well...

Overall, it's your first time and ASK A LOT OF QUESTIONS! If you need anything, just PM me when you are going. I do not instruct there, but am there almost every event and will be glad to make sure you are getting what you need.

Try and take a two day course also. Reason being is the first day is chock full of nerves and by the time you settle in, you are at the last session. So, the second day allows you to actually use what was taught and allows you to focus more. It is a much more enjoyable experience the second time around.

Anyways, HAVE FUN!!

I'm waiting for a new schedule to come out at work to figure out when they are having a down week. I've thought about going to BeaveRun instead, but wanna check about leather rentals. I've got some friends that live in Wheeling Wv. so I could crash with them.

Novice group is designed to be easy for the starter to get his/her bike to the track.

Anyways, HAVE FUN!!

Ok, I just bumped to I last year but I signed up for Novice because I have never been on the track.

I assume I will be stuck in parade mode for the first two sessions and then no corner passing the rest of the day. All good, as I always learn something.

Question, do they bump up or down depending on census for the afternoon or do they have fast N groups for cusp types like myself?

The will bump you if the N group rides at an Int pace, or if they feel comfortable with you running the Int pace.

It's the same as any other track day really, besides I think NESBA. The first 2 sessions are really parade sessions getting to know the track, then some follow the leader, and heck then it turns into sessions running better times than some Int guys for sure.

If you wanna ask to be bumped once you know the track, just ask one of the instructors to follow you etc and jump up.

Ok, I just bumped to I last year but I signed up for Novice because I have never been on the track.

I assume I will be stuck in parade mode for the first two sessions and then no corner passing the rest of the day. All good, as I always learn something.

Question, do they bump up or down depending on census for the afternoon or do they have fast N groups for cusp types like myself?

Similar to Revelstoker I am trying to decide if I should ride Novice or Intermediate. I've run about 10 track days. Usually, I run Novice in NESBA (RIP for me) and am in the top 25% but have never ridden Mid-O. What I don't want is to be stuck in an all day parade like Moto Series or STT Novice groups. I also don't want to get in over my head.

Can someone breakdown how Novice and Intermediate works/rules at Mid-O? Their website doesn't provide a group breakdown.

I'm working on getting the funds together to buy a set of leathers, if not I'll probly just rent a set when the time comes probly be July or August by the looks of our schedule. Probly be in need for tires for the day by then would my ContiMotions be ok, or should I look for some softer tires?