Woodpecker

mrfry

Yesterday around 5pm I was taking a ride on a borrowed bike. I was cruising down a backroad when out of the corner of my eye I see a white and black blur. Given the speed I was traveling and the direction of the bird a collision was imminent. As soon as my brain said "Oh shit what is that!" the bird had plowed into my helmet right in front of my right eye. Had the shield been up or I had not been wearing a helmet I think I could have had a big problem. The woodpecker lay dead in the road and I escaped unscathed. Thank God for helmets!

Anybody else hit a bird?

We are on the way to Mid-O for the races one year and my buddy went past us at a decent clip, turned the corner and sped up Steam Corners...we caught up to him at WillCall and he was picking a crow out from between the fairing and the engine. It was medium rare by the time he got it all out. (and it's my bike now) He said it landed right in front of him and all he had time to do was duck behind the fairing.

I'm up to 5 birds

2 robins, 1 pigeon, and 2 sparrows at the same time (they fell outta a tree fighting and on to the road they both stopped and looked at me right before I hit em :lol:)

nothing broken but had to clean up afterwards

Yup ive had that happen to me too it hit my helmet and all of a sudden I felt little bugs crawling all over my face and head i had to pull over and yank my helmet off I probably looked like a crazy person I was freaking out slapping myself in the face pulling at my hair and screeming and yelling it was pretty freaking nasty :eek:

... all of a sudden I felt little bugs crawling all over my face and head i had to pull over and yank my helmet off I probably looked like a crazy person I was freaking out slapping myself in the face pulling at my hair and screeming and yelling it was pretty freaking nasty :eek:

I get that exact same sensation every time I get close to being sober!

:drink:

• Upvote 1

my buddy hit a small bird a couple years ago it slammed his tank and exploded... and a few years ago I had a buzzard almost take me off my bike I had hang off the side to miss it my buddy was behind me and said I barely missed it

ive taken a bumble bee to the throat. I tried to punch a bird out of the air once that i thought was going to get me but I missed. Its funny how many people I hear hitting birds yet its damn near impossible to in a cage. Birds are the dumbest creatures

what kind of woodpecker was it?

ive hit a couple birds in the car. i had one go through the grill and get jammed inbetween the radiator and a grill support.

i also hit a hummingbird... either that or the worlds largest mosquito.

here's a couple bird impact vids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkyntWOMkrY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vre80U5og98

I had a bat fly right into my chest once. Seen it the whole way. It was like a drunken guided missle. After it hit i looked down and it was on my leg on its back still alive. Needless to say i freaked like a little girl trying to swat it off my leg.

I had a bat fly right into my chest once. Seen it the whole way. It was like a drunken guided missle. After it hit i looked down and it was on my leg on its back still alive. Needless to say i freaked like a little girl trying to swat it off my leg.

Same exact thing happened to me...including the reaction, I was on a bicycle, though.

Buddy of mine hit a buzzard a few years back. Busted his new mirror off and killed the bird. He went back and kicked the shit out of it for busting the mirror.

I've hit two of those fuckers. Once on my Strom which hit my fender, and the other was worse I popped it on my XRL going about 60, and it hit me right in the chest and kind of burst putting guts and shit all over me and inside my helmet. Gross as fuck, I had to powerwash my jacket, shirt, inside of my lid and my gloves and ride home soaking wet.

It felt like a basketball hitting me in the chest as hard as someone could throw, about knocked me off the bike.

No birds yet, but managed to get two bees in the neck and ran over a Bunnie and a ground hog. Both were at night and I pretty much had no choice but to crank the gas and take some weight off the front end so I would go over easier. Was behind a buddy on the easy down to Chillicothe in 08 and he hit a seagull with the fairing of his Harley full dresser, friggin thing just exploded and I got to ride through the feathery, gooey debris field....when we got back to the camp site he had a two-piece dinner lodged in his brake linkage for the forward controls.