Ammo Can Panniers Project

vw151

Here are some pics from Day 1 of the project, test fitting. After I get the hardware on the other can then it's time to paint. I'll add pics to this thread as I make progress, hope to be mostly done by the end of the week.

KLRammo_24.jpg

KLRammo_23.jpg

KLRammo_22.jpg

KLRammo_20.jpg

KLRammo_16.jpg

KLRammo_11.jpg

KLRammo_9.jpg

KLRammo_4.jpg

KLRammo_2.jpg

KLRammo_1.jpg

Sweet! Why paint?

prefer them to look nice and clean I guess. Going with Black and purple, to match some of the other sweet purple highlights. That and I'm doing the base with POR 15 so they will never rust again.

Sweet, I always liked the idea of using ammo cans. But it's a good way to immediately add 50lbs to the rear.

They are not light, that is true. But they are under $20 a piece and waterproof. Find another pannier box that can say that.

Sweet work on tying the pannier mount to the subframe -- looks to be way more durable than most kit you can buy AND more bullet resistant too - but you may want to crank your spring adjuster down about 3 full turns to compensate the weight:D

Are you leaving the handles on the ends of the boxes? Might turn out to be real rattletraps:dunno:

Sweet work on tying the pannier mount to the subframe -- looks to be way more durable than most kit you can buy AND more bullet resistant too - but you may want to crank your spring adjuster down about 3 full turns to compensate the weight:D

Are you leaving the handles on the ends of the boxes? Might turn out to be real rattletraps:dunno:

Plastidip them!

I have seen this done before by someone and definitely liked the results. A little sad to see the age of the ammo cans get removed, it would have been cool if you could just have clear coated them and kept the patina. I don't see the purple accents on the bike anywhere else save the grips :confused:

Where are you getting the POR-15? I need some for my truck frame.

I was looking at por-15 for sealing a gas tank and saw a lot of pictures of it getting stripped off within a few years so I went with a different product (http://www.kbs-coatings.com/cycle-tank-sealer-kit.html) They have normal rust preventative paints as well like por-15. Just another idea.

I was thinking about doing this on a street fighter. Nice work. I wouldn't of painted them IMHO

A Ducati street fighter or a "I crashed my superbike and don't want to buy new fairings" street fighter?

I think it could work good on the latter ammo cans only look good on a kind of ratty bike. On a something nice they would just look cheap.

IMO they don't look cheap, just rugged/enduro. Like you're riding out to alaska or something.

I was thinking about putting some on my ex, and maybe slap on a dirtbike front fender to complete the look. but opted to get cheap soft bags and leave it at that. Appartment life sucks, can't have much powertool fun anymore :(

Edited by DrewsBrews