308 rifle bolt or AR10 build

crb

I want to build an AR10 over the next 1-1.5 years as my allowance allows. I plan to buy it piece by piece first piece being a stripped lower. I want a quality high end milspec long range tack driver. I've never built a black rifle so advice and recommendations are welcome.

I'm currently leaning armalite but I'm open to others.

Recommendations on other components are welcome also.

Or

Should I go bolt action since the AR10's are so proprietary?

Basically I want a long range 308 rifle.

There is no Mil Spec in .308 AR Build.

I looked at doing it and it gets pretty pricey and you need to pay a lot of attention to the parts you're buying. They don't just fit together like they do for 5.56 AR platform since there is no milspec.

I would choose the AR platform over a bolt though in .308.

Another good .308 semi auto choice is the FNAR. Sub MOA gun out of the box. Only big drawback is that the only compatible mags are FNAR mags and they are $50 a piece. The bolt dissasembly/ reassembly is a PITA at first but after doing it once or twice I'm sure it can be done in less than 10 minutes.

On the plus side, it's not DI, sub moa from the box, chrome line barrel. I believe they're fluted too.

Edited by Radio Flyer

Tomorrow is not promised, buy now.

And get shot with it tomorrow? I go drop $4,000 at the gun shop she's gonna shoot me. Probably closer to $6,000 by the time you add glass and accessories.

Edited by crb

My vote would be a Springfield m1a tack driver out of the box and much cooler then a ar10.

I hope you have a TON of money and patience! They can be fine battle rifles but that's an absolutely horrible precision platform. If you've got a few grand to spend pick up a Larue OBR.

I want to build an AR10 over the next 1-1.5 years as my allowance allows. I plan to buy it piece by piece first piece being a stripped lower. I want a quality high end milspec long range tack driver. I've never built a black rifle so advice and recommendations are welcome.

I'm currently leaning armalite but I'm open to others.

Recommendations on other components are welcome also.

Or

Should I go bolt action since the AR10's are so proprietary?

Basically I want a long range 308 rifle.

What is your definition of long range and what are your accuracy expectations?

What is your definition of long range and what are your accuracy expectations?

1,000 yards would be nice 1/2" moa. I have s heavy barrel colt AR 223 longest I've done with it is 300 yards since I dropped my range membership.

1,000 yards would be nice 1/2" moa. I have s heavy barrel colt AR 223 longest I've done with it is 300 yards since I dropped my range membership.

I seriously doubt you will be able to put together a .5 MOA AR10 in .308 without a gunsmith doing his part. AR's are a bit of a different beast especially .308's to get to shoot 1/2 min especially at distance.

.5 at 100-300, probably, after that, doubt it if you are just screwing together off the shelve components yourself.

Theres also allot that goes into driving an AR properly, especially the larger cal at distance.

Let me know if you want to talk to a gunsmith about it and Ill put you in touch with mine. He's a straight shooter and wont BS you as well as one of the nicest guys I know. Ive directed a bunch of people to him and everyone has nothing but good things to say about him personally and his work.

Edited by flounder

I seriously doubt you will be able to put together a .5 MOA AR10 in .308 without a gunsmith doing his part. AR's are a bit of a different beast especially .308's to get to shoot 1/2 min especially at distance.

.5 at 100-300, probably, after that, doubt it if you are just screwing together off the shelve components yourself.

Theres also allot that goes into driving an AR properly, especially the larger cal at distance.

Well I may need to save pennies and buy a put together unit. I was just throwing out numbers I am flexible. I'm wanting longer range than my colt hbar.

Yup like I said earlier. Bolt

Yea I'm leaning in the direction of two guns like midget said too, but over time. Is the Remington 700 worth the extra? I preciously was looking at a Marlin X7vh be sufficient. Really about 750 yards is the most I could forsee using it out to anyway and only in a SHTF situation. :)

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/CenterfireBoltAction/x7vh.asp

I hope you have a TON of money and patience! They can be fine battle rifles but that's an absolutely horrible precision platform. If you've got a few grand to spend pick up a Larue OBR.

So your saying this gun is horrible for accuracy? Why do the shoot them at camp Perry? I have always been lead to believe they were accurate out to 1000meters?

http://www.impactguns.com/springfield-m1a-national-match-walnut-blued-na9102-706397021023.aspx

Yea I'm leaning in the direction of two guns like midget said too, but over time. Is the Remington 700 worth the extra? I preciously was looking at a Marlin X7vh be sufficient. Really about 750 yards is the most I could forsee using it out to anyway and only in a SHTF situation. :)

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/CenterfireBoltAction/x7vh.asp

There is a lot of after market support for the 700. I'm thinking my bolt gun will eventually be one bit for now ill stick with my savage. I just love the trigger too much.

So your saying this gun is horrible for accuracy? Why do the shoot them at camp Perry? I have always been lead to believe they were accurate out to 1000meters?

http://www.impactguns.com/springfield-m1a-national-match-walnut-blued-na9102-706397021023.aspx

Yes, they are horrible for accuracy. I'm not sure why they shoot them at camp perry, probably because it was a service rifle?

It takes a ton of work to accurize the M14 action, and then it is very fragile and delicate and needs constant maintenance and tweaking. Out of the box M1As shoot around 3MOA with good ammo. Some are more accurate, some are less accurate, as with anything. The NM guns are a little more accurate in general. Especially compared to an AR platform that has a free floated barrel out of the box, doesn't need heavy fancy-ass chassis systems, has an integrated optics rail... I mean really it's a giant discussion in itself that I could only give you the cliffnotes on.

For much cheaper you can get a more accurate, more durable, more ergonomic, more modern, vastly superior in every way platform. That being said, there are plenty of .30 caliber AR options that are guaranteed to shoot sub MOA out of the box. Bolt guns will always do it for cheaper.

That depends on your definition of accuracy. There is a reason that .223 AR's pretty much replaced the M14 pattern weapons in Service Rifle competition. I've shot Supermatch M1A's and while they are nice, its more time, effort and resources to get one to perform as well as an AR. Even then, they require a ton more upkeep to keep them accurate. Mind you, this is staying within the realms of Service Rifle rules. The newer aluminum stocks and such help a lot with accuracy. That said, guess what is trending up in use at Perry? 308 AR's (due to the m110 and other configs being used by snipers, they are now becoming useable in service rifle comps).

There are some accurate factory AR10's out there. Larue on the high end and DPMS LR on the low end of cost. Custom is always an option, and having GAP or Mark at SAC build you one (especially with his new 7mm creedmore variant) is going to be one sweet setup.