Looking for a laptop

conn-e-rot

How well is an apple going to hold up in a semi bouncing up and down? It's not on all the time. Really not that often at all. I wanted an apple for photo and video editing. Everybody says apple is the best for photo and video editing. My desktop is slow as all Hell processing when using photoshop.

Just about any laptop can put up with that - it's the hard drive that is very susceptible to bumps and movement. Get a laptop with an SSD (or add one yourself) and no worries. Hard drives are like records with a needle suspended above platters spinning at 5400 or 7200 RPM depending on the model. One hard bump and the needle crashes into the disks. Not good. SSDs have no moving parts so are virtually shock (physical) proof.

EDIT - the whole reason I built a hackintosh desktop (essential a Mac Pro) was for video editing. IMO Apple's video editing software is the shit.

Just about any laptop can put up with that - it's the hard drive that is very susceptible to bumps and movement. Get a laptop with an SSD (or add one yourself) and no worries. Hard drives are like records with a needle suspended above platters spinning at 5400 or 7200 RPM depending on the model. One hard bump and the needle crashes into the disks. Not good. SSDs have no moving parts so are virtually shock (physical) proof.

EDIT - the whole reason I built a hackintosh desktop (essential a Mac Pro) was for video editing. IMO Apple's video editing software is the shit.

I have a Go-pro Hd camera and it take's mp4. I was told this is apple format. And windows converts the file's to *.wmv and you loose a t of the quality. Someone told me to get a mac and check out I movie?

I've edited 2 vids I took with my GoPro HD Hero 2 on my Macbook Pro with iMovie no problem. No conversion needed. iMovie is very intuitive and easy to use but is powerful enough to do neat effects, etc. I know a guy who does wedding videos/photos for a living and uses only iMovie (for the vids).

I use Final Cut Pro X on my Hackintosh which is a little less user firendly but extremely powerful with support for add-ons. A lot of professionals use Final Cut Pro.

The last few times I've used photoshop video editor software and it is a pain in the ass. I love photoshop for pics, but their video software is a big pain. Maybe its my limited ram (7gb) on the desktop, I just ordered two more 4gb sticks so maybe that will help.

The last few times I've used photoshop video editor software and it is a pain in the ass. I love photoshop for pics, but their video software is a big pain. Maybe its my limited ram (7gb) on the desktop, I just ordered two more 4gb sticks so maybe that will help.

I have 15 gig's of ram 2, 2 terabyte drives on i7 920 processor. And Windows live movie maker crashes all the time, I think I'm ready for a Mac book for video editing.

I have 15 gig's of ram 2, 2 terabyte drives on i7 920 processor. And Windows live movie maker crashes all the time, I think I'm ready for a Mac book for video editing.

Yea I may go with an apple next year or so. I don't want to screw up our debt paying off plans.

crb, find you an inexpensive laptop that meets your computing needs and drop an SSD in there. I don't think you need a toughbook or similar...what's the worst that happens in the truck, it falls off the seat? That shouldn't harm any of the components except a hard drive unless the computer is very poorly built.

I uninstalled Norton antivirus to put AVG antivirus on the netbook and it is running like new. Why would norton make my netbook freeze? I have been on the netbook for 3 hours with zero issues and have had multiple windows open. Before removing Norton it would freeze within 30 mins of turning it on. Glad someone sniped me on an ebay laptop since this netbook quit acting up.

FYI Lenovo is running a big sale on their site.

Wifie says I can have my $2800 MacBook that I spec'd next year if we can keep on track with the debt payoff schedule. I think she was looking at the Ipads too.

Now if I could get shit to stop breaking.

Edited by crb

The iPad's are sweet, but I need something with a DVD burner. So when I get a Macbook it will probably be at least the $2400 price range. Large display and all the memory and h/drive I can get. My wife love's her iPad, and I herd the new one's are even nicer.

Mine will break shortly after I tell you it's good. It's starts with L and ends with a O (knock on wood)

And it did darn it, getting blue screens....

Got a Toshiba Satellite and had to take it back because of 12 blue screens in a few days. Other than that I liked it. The speakers are great.

How would I go about getting pics and stuff on an old IDE hard drive and onto a SATA hard drive? Mother in laws desktop's mother board fried.

Any reccomendations on desktops? Probably refurbished under $500.

I would replace mother board, but her desktop in ancient.

Edited by crb

Thanks I found that cord after I posted the question. I went with a different brand I think, but same difference. Ended up suggesting a Lenovo desktop for her. She doesn't do much with he pc anyway. I don't know that she has upgraded in the last 8 years or so, other than some upgrades (ram, fan,etc) I made.