upgraded to a 190 rear and feels weird?

scottie.harris

alll the above mentioned and.. you probably have been riding on a squared off tire for a while, and not used to the new tire

^Thats it^

Mine will feel that way on new tires. A day or so later it feels normal.

So i finally switched over and as i ride its odd going straight, like im riding on a point. As the bike barely starts to lean, almost wants to help lean more.

This normal or did i probably put it back on the swingarm wrong?

Its the 55 profile of the 190 vs the 50 of the 180 that your getting used to.

Not sure why you did it though if that is your bike in your profile pic. No need for it.

Edited by flounder

+1 on what Hoblick said. When he changed mine last year it felt weird as well but my old rear was squared of cuz I was a chicken shit and to scared to lean the bike over. Now the square tires feel weird. You'll get used to it.

+1 on what Hoblick said. When he changed mine last year it felt weird as well but my old rear was squared of cuz I was a chicken shit and to scared to lean the bike over. Now the square tires feel weird. You'll get used to it.

Yea i bought the bike in december and it was a shinko that was worn in the center from burnouts and wheelies.

The ZX7R is a 190/50/17 rear tire. You actually WANT those bikes to fall in faster. They handled amazingly well and in fact, were the bike of choice in terms of stability and composure.

You effectively raised the rear and caused the bike to transition faster which is what the bike needed anyways.

Now, get a proper 120 front on that thing and raise the rear slightly afterwards... They suffered from ground clearance...

Have you ever adjusted the sag on the bike to your weight and such? It's always a good idea to readjust when you make changes that affect height - like upping a tire size - or other suspension changes. Many street riders don't do it and think it's only for the track but it can do a world of good even on a stock bike used only on the street.

Mary

Have you ever adjusted the sag on the bike to your weight and such? It's always a good idea to readjust when you make changes that affect height - like upping a tire size - or other suspension changes. Many street riders don't do it and think it's only for the track but it can do a world of good even on a stock bike used only on the street.

Mary

Sag is important and you are correct that most street guys do not do it, but sag isn't going to change the way the bike turns in for this case... He added a different profile and caused a geometry change. That geometry change caused the bike to handle differently and in this case, really for the better as this bike is in need of chassis changes...

He needs to find the sweet spot for the handling and what he wants out of it. For street, he can get away with about the stock setting and this tire. Setting suspension to suit him is also going to be important, but the sag is probably a moot point as the suspension is probably in dire need of a refresh and re-spring. Sag can be set, but he probably will have so much preload to get where he should be that he will cause serious issue in the way the bike rides for the street...

Actually, you are right. He needs to readjust the geometry up front then adjust the sag. :) He can always adjust his triples to raise the front as well to compensate for the back if this change is too extreme.

Stock suspension can work for a lot of riders, it all depends on weight and riding style. I just sent my forks out to GMD to change the valving and bought an Ohlins TTX shock for my bike as well. Spring is on order right now but I'm 125 lbs so the bike was way too stiff for me.

But on my first bike, I was happy that the suspension was tired because it lowered the bike for me and it made me more comfortable as I'm short as well (5 ft 2).

So his suspension could be fine. Ok but that's another topic altogether.

Mary

do you all recommend anyone to do things like that, such as adjusting sag and suspension pre loads? the bike i am riding was set-up for someone with a completely different build than me and i feel like i could improve a few things.

You mean should your bike be set up for the intended rider?! Of course!

alll the above mentioned and.. you probably have been riding on a squared off tire for a while, and not used to the new tire

WHAT HE SAID... changed mine last weak felt different because it was new

Tire profiles in general vary greatly. I switched from Pirelli Corsas to Dunlop Q2s and they are very different. The Pirelli's turned in really easy but felt a little twitchy. The Q2s have a heavier front end feel but are very planted in the turns. So a very old flat tire to a new tire could really change the feel of the bike for sure.

Mary

Actually, you are right. He needs to readjust the geometry up front then adjust the sag. :) He can always adjust his triples to raise the front as well to compensate for the back if this change is too extreme.

Stock suspension can work for a lot of riders, it all depends on weight and riding style. I just sent my forks out to GMD to change the valving and bought an Ohlins TTX shock for my bike as well. Spring is on order right now but I'm 125 lbs so the bike was way too stiff for me.

But on my first bike, I was happy that the suspension was tired because it lowered the bike for me and it made me more comfortable as I'm short as well (5 ft 2).

So his suspension could be fine. Ok but that's another topic altogether.

Mary

Yea im not exactly normal size either being im 5'7 and 130lbs. As far as the handling i have noticed that the bike doesnt flick as fast as the 180 did, but it could be that im getting used to the new tires.

Yea im not exactly normal size either being im 5'7 and 130lbs. As far as the handling i have noticed that the bike doesnt flick as fast as the 180 did, but it could be that im getting used to the new tires.

The slower feeling is probably in your head, anytime I got new tires it makes the bike feel like it handles slightly different...you will get used to it quickly. Nice choice of bikes btw, those 7R's are cool bikes.

Look, dude... There is starting to get a bunch of crazy info in here. Take this for whatever you wish, but here's my opinion...

The 180 is going to feel faster due to the width of the tire. The 55 profile vs the 50 as YSR mentioned is why it will feel different from the stock 190/50 vs what you have now. Will feel faster actually. BUT, if you had a 180 on there (Common tire size), the 190 will feel slower. Benefit of the 190 is a larger tire patch at lean. That's really it. More weight on rotational mass and slower turn in are the negatives. More grip at full lean while allowing for higher corner speed.

All that and this shit with sag and everything is great if you are track riding... Here's my tips for you and your bike. I have a few hours of seat time and maybe some miles on this particular machine both at race and street level.

The bike is NOT a current generation chassis like we see in 2005 and newer type bikes. The way to speed the handling up is to raise the rear and lower the front. BUT, be careful doing so. You've already raised the rear slightly. Also, if you want the bike to feel great, yes, sag is important. However, sag is pointless if the springs are not correct. All these people with race suspension and riding the street are throwing cash out the window as it is pointless. You can do great things on stock suspension if you set it up well to YOU and to YOUR riding style.

Here's a few things to consider doing:

1) Get the forks and shock refreshed. I promise you the oil is pure shit in there. New oil is essential on any bike at times. This is an older bike and the oil probably looks pretty bad... Fresh oil, proper oil height, etc will make a difference. 35 Motorsports. Tell him I sent you. He gives members a discount.

2) Springs. This race shit and mentality is for the birds unless you do track days. BUT, the bike is probably oversprung for you at 135lbs. If you don't do springs, yes, sag is important but unless you constantly chase it (Again, a race mentality), once is going to be fine, but sag will change as you ride. It can be beneficial, but the oil breaks down, etc and will change sag. And, nobody is telling you where to set it and so, really... Just have someone help you set the compression and rebound, try it and see where it is and feels for you. Set the sag to where it will work well and forget it. Knobs clickers even in racing are weird folks. I was never one of them and just rode the bike. Reuben isn't a guy like that either. Adjustments and notes? Yes. Turning knobs every session and multiple laps? For the birds...

3) get a chassis geometry that suits YOU. Again, if it doesn't feel like it turns in as quick as the 180 did? Go back to a 180. The stock tire should have been a 190/50 from what I remember. The 190/55 is what I would stick with. The front is probably a 120/65 also. Throw that in the trash and get a 120/70 front.

3) Tires are different from brand to brand. Not much though. The profiles can be different. It is usually a diameter issue more than profile. Anyone that says the tire feels slower isn't adjusting the chassis to that tire. Change chassis? Get better results. Slap any ol' tire on and hope it works with the same settings you had with a different brand? Yes, will feel possibly different. Hell, may feel better!!

In the end, you need to refresh the oil and suspension. Easy and cheap. Then, have Reuben talk to you on setting it up. Springs are like $100 retail. Just get them refreshed and work from there, dude. You'll get so much information from so many different people and many armchair types that your skull will cave in.

PM me and we can work on getting you set up and even help set the suspension...

Cheers.