New member - Dayton / Cincinnati

abdecal

I bought a 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250r today (Candy Lime Green) I've never ridden a motorcycle before so after a lot of research I figured it would be the perfect beginners bike.

The one I actually bought today from Middletown Cycle has a broken odometer and speedometer so I am picking up a different bike on Wednesday or Thursday from them and getting my temps on Friday.

I have nobody to ride with and would love if someone in my area (Springboro/Franklin) would take the time to meet with me and show me the ropes. Any suggestions on safety courses / must have equipment for a beginner would also be appreciated.

I hope to get to know everyone here! I'll post pics once I pick it up this week.

Also, I own a decal business so if anyone wants custom decals or anything I will provide a heavy discount on them.

Welcome to the OR! Did you take the MSF beginners course? Consider that a must. Get good gear; quality helmet, boots with ankle protection, strong textile jacket and pants with armor, leather gloves.

gear, school(s), then ride time!

Thanks for the advice on the training courses guys. I'm definitely going to sign up for one. Does it also help you save on insurance like taking a training course for cars?

And TheBrown57 I'd love to take you up on that offer. In a few weeks once I get comfortable with riding on the road I will be hitting you up! None of my friends have motorcycles so I'm a lone wolf looking for a wolf pack. (horrible Hangover reference) :rolleyes:

Welcome aboard. Definitely take the MSF course: http://www.motorcycle.ohio.gov/

It's only $25, and you basically have your MC endorsement when you're finished (they give you a certificate at the end of the class to go get your endorsement at the BMV).

Awesome, I didn't know that. Great info Casper. My nose is going to be in the Motorcycle rules and regulations book for the next two days. Going to get my temp on Friday.

Not a if but a when...but in all seriousness I will be in the market for one of these come next year.

It most likely will be in the market as well. I got it as a beginners bike so odds are I will want to upgrade next year. You will be the first to know ;)

Thanks for the advice on the training courses guys. I'm definitely going to sign up for one. Does it also help you save on insurance like taking a training course for cars?

And TheBrown57 I'd love to take you up on that offer. In a few weeks once I get comfortable with riding on the road I will be hitting you up! None of my friends have motorcycles so I'm a lone wolf looking for a wolf pack. (horrible Hangover reference) :rolleyes:

Yup. Specifically this one. MSF = Motorcycle Safety Foundation. It's a nationally recognized safety course. The state of Ohio subsidizes it for you (which is why it's only $25 vs $250+).

Yup. Specifically this one. MSF = Motorcycle Safety Foundation. It's a nationally recognized safety course. The state of Ohio subsidizes it for you (which is why it's only $25 vs $250+).

Pretty cool stuff. I'm guessing Ohio is pretty motorcycle friendly then?

One thing I was wondering if they taught there and I think the thing I'm most afraid of with a motorcycle is pot holes. Ohio seems to have many of them and sometimes they just aren't avoidable. I assume what you would do is pop your front tire off the ground so the back end of the bike absorbs the impact? What should I be most cautious of other than other drivers of course?

Sorry, I'm a newb with newb questions :o

Pretty cool stuff. I'm guessing Ohio is pretty motorcycle friendly then?

One thing I was wondering if they taught there and I think the thing I'm most afraid of with a motorcycle is pot holes. Ohio seems to have many of them and sometimes they just aren't avoidable. I assume what you would do is pop your front tire off the ground so the back end of the bike absorbs the impact? What should I be most cautious of other than other drivers of course?

Sorry, I'm a newb with newb questions :o

All of that is covered in the MSF. Definitely don't pop a wheel off the ground. You want as much traction and balance as possible. The MSF will show you how to maneuver obstacles and all of the other things you need to know. I hit potholes all the time. I'm more worried about getting a flat and/or messing up my rims than I am having it cause me wreck.

All of that is covered in the MSF. Definitely don't pop a wheel off the ground. You want as much traction and balance as possible. The MSF will show you how to maneuver obstacles and all of the other things you need to know. I hit potholes all the time. I'm more worried about getting a flat and/or messing up my rims than I am having it cause me wreck.

Oh wow I have so much to learn. Looks like it will be parking lot riding until I go to the safety course.

Whatever you do, definitely take the time to learn. Get good gear. And have a blast.

Hey Casper, I was looking through the courses for the counties near me and it appears all of the classes are full but they have a walk-in policy for full classes. Any idea on the odds of getting in if I just show up?

Hey Casper, I was looking through the courses for the counties near me and it appears all of the classes are full but they have a walk-in policy for full classes. Any idea on the odds of getting in if I just show up?

I know a lot of people who have walked in and got in.