New member - Dayton / Cincinnati

abdecal

Welcome!!! I'm not far from you at all. I grew up in Franklin but the wife and I just moved to miamisburg. We get a few rides going around here throughout the year just keep checking the forum and you will not be disappointed. And yes walk-ins for the msf are the way to go.

If i remember right Gieco gives you 10% off your premium for taking the MSF course. Im sure other do also.

I would say putt around your neighborhood. Get comfortable with the low speed handling and your bike in general.

Then maybe make it out to the more crowded roads during off peak hours. To get alittle more time in with more traffic and different situations and so on and so on.

Your comfort level and abilities will continue to grow with time. Me personally i dont think i will ride any harder on the street than i do now. Which isnt that aggressive anyway. I have fun and ride my ride which is all that matters!

I'm just N/O Dayton in Troy so im sure we can get a group together sometime this summer.

Heyo. My mom lives in franklin, dad in springboro, so I'm down there requently. I actually li e in riverside. I know the msf is practically always packed. So Do what I did, go buy a pack of tennis balls, cut them in half and use them as cones in a parking lot. Solid rock has a biker ministry, steel disciples. I've filmed a couple of their rides before. they'd be ok with you practicing in their outside lot.

Practice slaloming, swerving and doing a uturn in the width of two parking spaces.

Maneuverability is key to learn in the beginning - Find a local empty lot and work the bike in the first couple gears to help get your clutch/brake work to a comfortable level. Once you got a handle on the slow stuff, then try your skills on some backroads - just don't hop onto St. Rt.'s or Interstates TOO soon, riding in a crowd can be daunting for beginner riders.

The MSF course is a GREAT idea for learning the basics and licensing, saving $$ on your insurance is just a bonus - I took the advanced course ( 5 hr session ) while my wife took the beginner MSF course at Honda in Troy ( 3 days total for beginner - 1 classday, 2 ride days ) so we both saved some cash that year on our premiums and basically got paid to be there :D win win :D So once you get your temps, do some parking lot work to get used to shifting, clutching, braking, etc., then go from there, depends on how quickly you can get into the next course. If you can get in before you get a chance to practice, that's fine - they'll go over EVERYTHING a newb needs to know to ride safely. Good luck man!

Oh, one other thing - I'll be in touch for some decals soon, but one question.......are they simply 1 color vinyl or can you print multi-color graphics at all? Let me know, I'm in 2 bands that need new merchandise!:D

Maneuverability is key to learn in the beginning - Find a local empty lot and work the bike in the first couple gears to help get your clutch/brake work to a comfortable level. Once you got a handle on the slow stuff, then try your skills on some backroads - just don't hop onto St. Rt.'s or Interstates TOO soon, riding in a crowd can be daunting for beginner riders.

The MSF course is a GREAT idea for learning the basics and licensing, saving $$ on your insurance is just a bonus - I took the advanced course ( 5 hr session ) while my wife took the beginner MSF course at Honda in Troy ( 3 days total for beginner - 1 classday, 2 ride days ) so we both saved some cash that year on our premiums and basically got paid to be there :D win win :D So once you get your temps, do some parking lot work to get used to shifting, clutching, braking, etc., then go from there, depends on how quickly you can get into the next course. If you can get in before you get a chance to practice, that's fine - they'll go over EVERYTHING a newb needs to know to ride safely. Good luck man!

Oh, one other thing - I'll be in touch for some decals soon, but one question.......are they simply 1 color vinyl or can you print multi-color graphics at all? Let me know, I'm in 2 bands that need new merchandise!:D

hey there Hellmutt. Thanks for the advice. I did not realize it was a 3 day course. As for decals, I mostly do one color decals. I do have a sublimation printer that allows me to do full color stickers but right now it is not working and I haven't got around to fixing it yet. Let me know what you need! :)

hey there Hellmutt. Thanks for the advice. I did not realize it was a 3 day course. As for decals, I mostly do one color decals. I do have a sublimation printer that allows me to do full color stickers but right now it is not working and I haven't got around to fixing it yet. Let me know what you need! :)

That'll work, we're burnt out of merch so I'll be in touch - Thanx

Well, basic course provides the bikes. Harley-Davidson also provides rider training and supplies the bikes if you cannot get into a DMV course.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/learn-to-ride/search-riders-edge.html?locale=en_US&expLvl=new

Buckminns D&D Harley-Davidson Xenia, OH

How are you getting your bike home from the dealer?

Welcome!

Reading through this thread brought back great memories of when me and a bunch of buddies first got bikes... We learned together and had a blast the first season, actually that was some of the funnest times we had together. As seasons went on we started to ride with other people and soon some of the guys were involved with other things... Ego's came out, guys got in trouble, and the guys I was close to that first year parted ways. :( Anyways again enjoy your first bike and all that comes with it!

Welcome!

Reading through this thread brought back great memories of when me and a bunch of buddies first got bikes... We learned together and had a blast the first season, actually that was some of the funnest times we had together. As seasons went on we started to ride with other people and soon some of the guys were involved with other things... Ego's came out, guys got in trouble, and the guys I was close to that first year parted ways. :( Anyways again enjoy your first bike and all that comes with it!

That is exactly what I was thinking, minus the later part. Two buddies and myself all were learning about the same time. I got my license back in 2001, and for the most part there really wasn't any motocycle related forums. I probably would of had a easier go round with it, even though I did pretty good on my own, but it would have been nice to get some info as far as gear and other techniques.

I started on a 94 Seca II.

102_0261.jpg

Yes before asked, that is inside a house (I realize that looks hillbilly). Its in an old farmhouse that we use for storage, and where we keep our bikes in the winter so I can get them out of the garage.

welcome and congrats on the new bike

Talked to Middletown Cycle today and was hoping to pick it up and they didn't have it yet :( . They did promise Wednesday or Thursday though so we'll see what happens tomorrow. When I talked to them today they said maybe not tomorrow but maybe Friday, Saturday, or Monday :cry: Kinda lame, I hate waiting.

Welcome! I live/work in the loveland and West chester area. Quite often I'm up in Springboro, middletown, and dayton for work too. I haven't ridden up that way yet though. Still on my temps too, but sofar I have put about 1000mi since I got the bike late last year. The weather has been forgiving. One book I suggest is one a friend picked up: Proficient Motorcycling, By David L. Hough. It's got alot of info that, once you have a little experience under your belt, will help you keep the rubber side down. One big thing is, your light weight bike might respond to you just leaning over into a turn, but bigger bikes need more steering input to lean at road speed so it's best to actively work on "countersteering" early instead of developing habbits that might get you into trouble on your next bike. Things like that I always try to keep in mind when I'm riding right now.

Also a tip I heard about BRC walk-ins.. They may allow you to sit in on the classroom portion even if the class is full. If the weather looks poor for the days of the riding portion they may get alot of no-shows those days, and you can slip in and take their place since you would have already done the classroom portion.. As long as you aren't averse to getting rained on.

Edited by DrewsBrews