600RR throttle cable install

redkow97

Can anyone give me a little guidance here?

I have the tank raised and can access the air box, but removing the air box to get to the throttle bodies appears as though it will involve disconnecting all fuel lines and a significant portion of the wiring harness.

Neither of those tasks are appealing.

I am hoping someone who has done this before knows of a short cut that allows me to remove everything as 2 or 3 relatively intact pieces, rather than disassembling each individual piece as I dig down to the engine.

Any advice? Estimate on amount of time I should budget?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone give me a little guidance here?

I have the tank raised and can access the air box, but removing the air box to get to the throttle bodies appears as though it will involve disconnecting all fuel lines and a significant portion of the wiring harness.

Neither of those tasks are appealing.

I am hoping someone who has done this before knows of a short cut that allows me to remove everything as 2 or 3 relatively intact pieces, rather than disassembling each individual piece as I dig down to the engine.

Any advice? Estimate on amount of time I should budget?

Wish I could help, never got that far down in the RR when I had mine.

If its anything like my 07...then you really don't have much choice. You have to take that stuff off to release the lower connectors on the cables. Its really not that hard to do, and I'll be doing it again shortly on Mykills bike. Just remove the tank and put it aside, undo the top connectors and stuff (Label with tape if necessary) and remove the top airbox then lower airbox and put all the screws in a container so you don't lose them. Then you can easily access the throttle bodies. As for removing the TB's...I went the easy route after researching. Get a LONG phillips screwdriver (mines about 2ft long -adv auto $12?) and go in from each side and loosen the TB clamps on all 4 TB's. Then the whole stack comes off and you can put it aside also. Then you have complete access to the cables and routing to replace.

Overall, it shouldn't take more then about 2 hours max.

Thanks Steve. That is not what I wanted to hear, but it's at least a definitive answer.

2 hours is optimistic at best, but what you're describing clarifies a few other online "how-to" guides I found. The problem is that they all start with the air box removed.

I have a service manual, and have been consulting that, but it's not been overly helpful.

Do I really need to remove the upper and lower air box separately? I already removed and rinsed the air filter last night, but I put it back together to avoid getting crap in there.

Yes, the whole housing has to come out. The lower housing sits on top of the throttle bodies, which covers the cables as they route down the frame to the engine. I was hesistant in doing it last year also, but its really not that hard of a process after I got into it. Lower airbox reinstall was probably the most pita due to how it fit on my RR with the dual ram air tubes. (Took some love and force)

Just remove the screws that secure the airbox and on mine there was a hidden one kimda thats easy to forget. Then it all pops off. I didn't disconnect everything on top to free up room either. Just what i had too to make room.

Edited by SJC1000rr

Ok, i'm down to where I need to be, but now I can't get the lower throttle cable removed, let alone installed.

I believe I have found the 4 screws (2 on each side) that need to be loosened to remove the throttle body, but i have loosened them, and nothing is even close to BUDGING.

is there a trick to this, or do I just need to pull harder?

motherfucker. This is getting increasingly frustrating...

Even if this last part (throttle body removal and cable reinstall) had taken me 30 minutes, I would be DONE by now, and test riding the bike.

GEORGE IS GETTIN' UPSET!

SERENITY NOW! (are you supposed to yell it? HE DIDN'T SAY!)

Hondas suck! Once you are done with the cables lube all boots with wd-40 with your finger and that will help ALLOT with reassembly. Dont forget that little vacume line on left or the bike will not run correctly. took me hours to figure out my first time. Ball joint allens help a ton if you have any. We charge extra for honda lol.

Madcat and I installed new throttle cables on my 600RR (and I did again on my 1000RR alone, I think) without removing anything but the old cables and tank. Never removed the throttle bodies. Yes, it was a bitch and it definitely hurt and took quite a while.

other than the 4 'boot' screws, is there anything else that holds the throttle bodies on?

I am sure the screws have been adequately loosened, and this thing still won't budge. I'm damn near shaking the bike off the stands trying to pull on them, and i don't seem to be making any progress. Could i have overlooked some other bolt or something?

my next resort is to get a ratchet strap and use that to pull upward on the damn throttle body...

everything is buttoned back up and working :D

on top of that, my gauges work! I knew they were getting power and reading the fuel level and temp, but without throttle cables, I wasn't sure the tach was working. it is!

That was far more work than I had anticipated, but like anything, I think it would be much easier the second time. I just hope there isn't a second time for several years.

thanks for everyone's advice.

Now you understand why a lot of guys race Yamahas and Suzukis.
I must admit that when I went track bike shopping I was looking for a CBR, since I was coming off a Honda for the last 6 years. After reading about the convoluted construction of the throttle bodies and airbox on the CBRs, I am one happy gixxer owner!

Now you understand why a lot of guys race Yamahas and Suzukis.

:confused: I didn't have much problems with mine or doing Mike's just now. Only hick-up we had was I tightened the lower adjuster too much and had to loosen it up a bit. We had the gas tank changed out, throttle cables, OEM upper stay and radiator hose changed out in about 2 hours.

Though, I'm really considering an R6 for next season for something new :D