Incarceration and CHL

FIJI-9-Brother

Hi Thanks for looking,

quick question, had a MM possession that was turned into a bond forfeiture. long story short, lawyer didn't pay fine and failed to send me the notice so i was picked up and spend a few days in county lockup (bench warrant) on a failure to appear as a result of my fine never being paid. I called to check on my CHL app and Pam in Delaware County told me she was waiting for the paperwork regarding the aforementioned incarceration. does a bond forfeiture still relate back to the MM for possession or is the original charge moot with the forfeiture. Will this impact my application?

thanks for advice and comments.

Yikes. What were you found guilty of? If MM possession, then I'm pretty sure your application will be denied. I think any drug charges instantly disqualify you. I may be mistaken though. Anyone else?

Ohio's restoration of rights statue has been modified so that it finally meets federal requirements so that people whose rights have been restored in Ohio are no longer under a federal firearms disability. In addition, another change relieves people with non-felony drug convictions from firearm disabilities under Ohio law. Persons with a minor misdemeanor drug charge, but no felonies or criminal record, are now permitted to own guns, but still are not eligible for an Ohio concealed handgun license. (They may still obtain and fully use other states' concealed carry licenses, so long as that state does not impose a drug conviction disqualifier.)

According to my guide to firearms laws, a minor misdemeanor is neither a Federal or (Ohio) State disability, so you should be fine.

Federal: 18 USC 922(d) and (g)

Ohio: R.C. 2923.13

As always, consult an actual attorney for actual legal advice.

[quote name=

As always, consult an actual attorney for actual legal advice.

I like that, hahaha.

I think this is good enough for now.

I was charged with MM possession of marijuana, but my lawyer got it changed to a bond forfeiture and i was as a result arrested for not paying the fine related to the bond forfeiture. I was never convicted of MM possession, only charged, so i guess that is what i was asking. Will the charges hurt me?

Thanks guys your info has cleared some stuff up.

I dont think they will, I know a guy that was caught with a substantial amount of pot and charged with intent to distribute...His lawyer got the whole thing thrown out on some technicality and he is now a CHL holder. I believe you have to actually be convicted. Goes back to that thing of innocent until proven guilty.

You can be convicted of felonies with gun specs and do time plus get a ODRC inmate number and still get your permit.....and hold a government job. Trust me on this ;)

The justice system is completely flexible and open to interpretation ..... with the right attorney.

You'll be okay. Only a conviction will deny the form going through. A bond forfeiture is not a conviction.

Also, possession only shows up as a minor misdemeanor so it's not something that comes back on background checks. Paraphernalia is far worse and that's I charge I would worry about having that will get your form denied.

If you don't know what it shows up as on your records, you'll need to go to the courthouse and get the sheet that shows the final results. Just have the case number.

Edited by Radio Flyer