dirt to street conversion questions

scottie.harris

Ohio is the easiest state in the country to convert. You only have to have it inspected and I've seen guys even avoid that and just go to the Title Dept. and state they need a street legal title and they got one.

But, if you can't, you need a horn, a front and rear light with working brake light. Mirrors or at least one (right side seems to be preferred), DOT tires.

Go to OHP office and have it inspected. Done.

yes you can make a 2 stroke street legal.

http://bmv.ohio.gov/faq_vehicle_titling.stm

5th question from the bottom:

I have an off-road motorcycle titled in Ohio. I have now brought it up to code for on road use and need to change the title. How do I do that?

You would take the off-road title in your name and proof of the upgrade to your county Title Office and request to complete a "body code change" affidavit. If all is in order, the title will be replaced and reflect the body code as "MC" motorcycle. You would pay a fee of $15.00 plus notary fees and take the new title to the Deputy Registrar and apply for your motorcycle plates. You must have the motorcycle endorsement on your Ohio driver license to operate the motorcycle.

you have to have a title in the first place. all dirtbikes sold in ohio after, i think 1999 had titles. you probably dont any type of inspection if you already have the title. if you have an MSO or something, then you may need inspection to get the title. i think in this case, they aren't doing a safety inspection, its just to verify the VIN.

then you have to sign a form that says your bike meets the requirements for street operation (headlight, tail light, turn signal, horn, mirror). pay the money, and you're good to go.

Edited by John

im fairly sure the only time you'd need an inspection is to verify the VIN if you have a pre-99 bike with an MSO or bill of sale, or if you have an out of state title.