Rider Mistakes and Lessons Learned

abdecal

Another one... When the car in front of you is turning into a small sidestreet on the right and there is another car waiting to emerge from that same sidestreet... There will be about 5-10 seconds where you are pretty much invisible to the car in the sidestreet.

If you are lucky they will see you over the car in front of you - or they will see you through the car. Maybe they won't see you. Either way, be ready to stop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JiXkSGHlHI

Edited by Scruit

Another one... When the car in front of you is turning into a small sidestreet on the right and there is another car waiting to emerge from that same sidestreet... There will be about 5-10 seconds where you are pretty much invisible to the car in the sidestreet.

If you are lucky they will see you over the car in front of you - or they will see you through the car. Maybe they won't see you. Either way, be ready to stop.

Plus 1. That's how I first got hit.

Had that happen this morning on my way into work, Person came off the exit ramp from 129 to 747S and went straight to the left most lane (mine!) luckily I had the void created by the yellow lines for the oncoming traffics turning lane and went around them then hauled ass to get away from that crowd of cars.

• 2 weeks later...

Good advice in here.

I always like to remind people that rules don't technically matter if you are dead or broken up in the hospital. You are responsible for everyone on the road. Ride like it.

I never ride directly behind any vehicle that uses retreads as tires. Those blow off with quite an explosion with some pieces big enough to kill you or at the very least knock you off the bike and lay you on the highway with oncoming cars/trucks.

Be especially aware of cars turning left in front of you. This is the #1 way to die on a motorcycle.

I ride with my high beams on during the day. I also flash high to low beams if I want to draw attention from side street or oncoming cars. It is very easy to be overlooked as a motorcyclist. It's not prejudice just standard human behavior.

If you can't avoid an object in the road, you want the bike to be straight up and down, not leaning, turning or braking as you hit it. Raise your butt from the seat and just hit it like a dirt bike.

When you get to the 'turn in' point of any corner, TURN! Regardless of speed, or confidence. You get off the brakes, lean and roll on the throttle slightly. You will almost always make it even if you didn't think you could.

Keep a light grip on the handlebars once leaned over. Bikes steer themselves for the most part. Don't get in the way. Just let it do it's thing.

I personally never ride in the center lane of 3 lane roads (same direction). This is just part of escape route technique.

Anticipation is your best asset on a bike. Anything that distracts from you estimating what everyone will do before they do it is a risk that you don't have to take.

Tire pressure is very imporatant.

Draw bridge grating can give you an uneasy feeling that the bike is moving sideways instead of the normal forward, especially when you have to take at an angle. Just go slow and steady, don't make sudden changes.

Road debris (sand, salt, leaves, etc.) have to be taken seriously. Don't understimate the potential to put you on your bottom.

Safety gear works, but I won't fault you if you don't wear it all the time. But if you do have a helmet on, make sure it fits and is buckled properly.

Chris