School me on trailers

imprez55

As the title says, I don't know much about trailers but I am in the market for one so I would like some help. The primary use for the trailer will be bike hauling but I do not want a rail style one because I would like the option to haul other stuff if the need presented itself. I am going to be hauling with a 2012 Subaru WRX so a smaller trailer is a must. I think a 5x8 would be the maximum dimensions I would like to go and would prefer a smaller size. With that in mind, what kind of things do I need to know looking for (preferably) used trailers? Is there any tire size or other design considerations I should keep in mind? I see a lot of wood decks, do those stand up alright being in the elements all the time? Should I look at trying to convert a boat one if I can find it cheap (keep in mind I have no welding tools)? What else do I need to know about owning a trailer?

trail·er

noun /ˈtrālər/ 

trailers, plural

An unpowered vehicle towed by another, in particular

The rear section of a tractor-trailer

An open cart

A platform for transporting a boat

An unpowered vehicle equipped for living in, typically used during vacations

An excerpt or series of excerpts from a movie or program used to advertise it in advance; a preview

A thing that trails, esp. a trailing plant

:D

Edited by chevysoldier

I have a 6x12 enclosed but never used it for the bike. It has a ramp door and a side man door, very nice to have.

I bought it new but on a used one look for rust, tire dry rot, make sure they spin free, get one with a drop ramp as they are much easier to deal with. Wood will be fine if it's treated but can get slick when wet. There's others who trailer bikes more than I do so they'll know better.

With a smaller car, I'd avoid the wood decked trailers (wood weighs a ton) and look at all aluminum construction. Aluminum weighs half of steel and yet costs twice as much...as a rule of thumb.

Wheels: bigger diameter is better, avoid the little 10" jobbies unless you're hauling short distances.

With a smaller car, I'd avoid the wood decked trailers (wood weighs a ton) and look at all aluminum construction. Aluminum weighs half of steel and yet costs twice as much...as a rule of thumb.

Wheels: bigger diameter is better, avoid the little 10" jobbies unless you're hauling short distances.

^^This -- all aluminum trailers in a 5x8 will still run you quite a bit used, but well worth it since you won't have to worry about rust/rot and they're much lighter/easier on your tow vehicle. Anything 12" or over for wheel size should be an objective as well as torsion bar suspension ( I've been learning more here lately thanks to saavy members ;))

RNR Trailers are really nice, but it depends on how deep your wallet is too. Wish I was in the market myself - have been some great deals through here lately too. Good luck!!

Aluminum trailers are rediculously overpriced for the little bit of weight saving. Remember, aluminum has to be twice as thick as steel to be close to as strong. Go buy one of those cheap, steeel mesh floor jobbies with 12" tires. After the first set of tires burns up (under a year) go have some 12" radials mounted up at your local used tire store. Also, mount up a cheap wheel chock. Done.

If you are patient, you can find these trailers used for a few hundo.

buy mine! :) The subi can handle it no problem

My dad and I converted our jet ski trailer to have a removable enclosed box to haul a bike. It worked in the past but its a giant pain in the ass.

I'm paranoid and only get trailer with at least 14" tires so I don't have to worry about high speeds as most of the towing I do is highway. If you can find something with bearing buddies you'll save yourself a ton of time and headaches.

Edited by Bad324

buy mine! :) The subi can handle it no problem

My dad and I converted our jet ski trailer to have a removable enclosed box to haul a bike. It worked in the past but its a giant pain in the ass.

I'm paranoid and only get trailer with at least 14" tires so I don't have to worry about high speeds as most of the towing I do is highway. If you can find something with bearing buddies you'll save yourself a ton of time and headaches.

was wondering when you were going to chime in..lol

oh and also whatever size you think you're going to need, get the next size up. I've now had 3 trailers in 3 years and trying to sell mine for upgrade to a 4th. I've gone bigger and bigger each time :)

oh and also whatever size you think you're going to need, get the next size up. I've now had 3 trailers in 3 years and trying to sell mine for upgrade to a 4th. I've gone bigger and bigger each time :)

thats why i went with a 16 footer instead of a 12 footer that i originally thought i wanted

thats why i went with a 16 footer instead of a 12 footer that i originally thought i wanted

thats true. I don't need for the forseeable future anything bigger than the 7x12 v nose i want. If I need something bigger I can always just use my Dads car trailer.

How do you like your new trailer? My Dad called me over the weekend from Florida and said hes picking up a 6x12 v nose in Georgia so I assume its pretty much the same one. I'm trying to figure out why he is getting it though since he has the 20ft and I have mine. Depending what he uses it for I might just sell mine and rig his up to work for my use and spend the money on another one

Aluminum trailers are rediculously overpriced for the little bit of weight saving. Remember, aluminum has to be twice as thick as steel to be close to as strong......

Not entirely true - if the AL is made in different shapes that add strength without bulk, then the weight savings can be substantial. But you're spot on about the price - they're spendy.

I have an all Al trailer and have used it for about 15 years, light as shit and pulls great. Have used it behind Ford Taurus' and have had no issues at all. Can't even feel it behind my F-150.

Too bad you didnt pick up Isaacs trailer, sounds like it would have been perfect. MyKill should be picking it up shortly if he hasn't today.

But from what it sounds like you want a cheaper, open, flat bed trailer. I agree the Aluminum ones are way over prices and honestly, you can make due with 1inch thick decking in most cases for what you are looking for, so it won't weigh much at all. Or get one with steel mesh, strong, has I beams, and weight savings. Again though, I would simply get something off Craigs, clean it up, and run with it. Upgrade the tires once they burn up, and possibly get new bearings or repack the current ones right away.

Haha, thanks chevy. Not many aluminum for sale used, but what I do see seems to be in the $1k range which is certainly too high for me. 5x8 is still an upper limit for me, but maybe I will lean more towards one of that size. What kind of weights are these trailers normally at?

Bad - Isn't your trailer an enclosed one? With the added weight and wind resistance I can't imagine that would be ideal for the scoobie. Also, with the number of bikes you have had, I am not surprised you have had that many trailers as well :lol:

It sounds like a used TSC one would be ideal (or at least that style). I have until 4-28 before I will need one, so I guess I will just see what pops up. The bearing buddies seem interesting, especially for the price

Matt - PM me and stop by. My trailer is currently folded and in the corner of my garage, but it's cheap, light, and has been pretty durable.

Having lived with it for a couple years, there are some things I would do differently, and some I did right, but for the cost, it's only about a $300 experiment, and it would be brand new.

Even with a 3/4 inch treated wooden deck, the trailer can't weigh more than 300 lbs. When it's hooked to a hitch, I can pick up the back end of the trailer and walk it laterally to make turning around easier. Not with the bike, of course, but my point is that trailer+bike = ~800 lbs. The WRX clutch should appreciate that. Hell, get the hitch, and you can take my trailer for a short test drive if you want. I just renewed the tags.

^Folding Harbor Freight?

Mine is, yes. I would have suggested buying and giving Pauly's some TLC, but i believe that ship has sailed.

The planks on his were probably a bit heavier, and it eliminates the folding functionality, but some people may not view that as a negative. I'm betting it's definitely a lot less flexy than mine.

Thanks Chris! I won't feel rushed now trying to get one before the track day. I will keep you in the loop if I do or don't find one. I think I have missed Pauly's sale as well, but there are a few I am seeing on CL for sale now. The hitch is in the post, so once I get it mounted I will start looking at some

Bad - Isn't your trailer an enclosed one? With the added weight and wind resistance I can't imagine that would be ideal for the scoobie. Also, with the number of bikes you have had, I am not surprised you have had that many trailers as well :lol:

I'm always trying to hock my shit to upgrade lol. I've actually had as many trailers as bikes so far. It is indeed a closed one, if Pauly's old ass Subaru with probably a million miles on it could handle then I would think yours would be fine. Its probably more trailer and higher price than you need though anyway

I picked up Pauly's yesterday and I think it was more work than he expected :D

Pulled it home 2hrs at 70-75 and it did fine. I actually think it will be better with some weight on it. It was also nice to just unhook it and walk it around because its so light.