Recommend Me A Pig Sticker!

BadTrainDriver

I know this isn't about a gun...but I still thought this was the most appropriate place for my thread. Mods, feel free to move this if necessary.

As a treat to myself for the LONGGGG hours I've been working the past few months, the wife has agreed to let me get something that I've wanted for a while(she doesn't know about the pistol I bought from Dale last week, lol)...a bad ass knife!

Tactical, survival, working tool, whatever you want to call it...

Requirements:

Must be full tang, fixed blade...no folder.

Good steel(1095, CPM D-2, CPM 35-VN, CPM 3V, CPM 4V) only.

No Paracord handle stuff. Micarta, or bone only. No wood.

Nothing shiny, as in a polished blade.

Preferably a 7" to 8" usable blade, with total length right around 12" give or take.

I'd rather buy something from a reputable custom knife builder than something that's mass produced.

I've been on the knife forums, and I've contacted a few custom knife makers...but no one seems to be taking orders(or there is a 2 year waiting list!), and everything that's built get purchased right away.

I never would have imagined finding something I like would be this difficult, or that the demand for a top quality knife would be so high! I realize you can't make a knife overnight...but damn, this seems like a good little side job to have if you'd got the tools and the skills to make them!

Price wise, I'd rather not openly say how much I'd spend...but those that know me know when I want something, I'll not cheap out on it.

If you know anything about these types of knives, think Hinderer or Horan, not Tops or Benchmade.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

This is NOT what I thought this thread was going to be about. :lol:

I was going to suggest "bad cop no donut!"

2323.jpg

Back to topic:

I really like Damascus knives, but they are proud of them. Kabar's are nice knives.

Edited by crb
added pic

ginsu is the only brand i trust to cut through my freshly frozen puppy, everytime!

Frozen.jpg

to contribute, back when i was looking at fixed knives, i came across this thread on another site:

http://www.jerzeedevil.com/forums/showthread.php/103605-Post-your-favorite-fixed-blade-customs/page3

not sure if that helps, but i remember drooling over some of those. never did get a nice fixed one. a few years back, i did buy an ontario knife made ka-bar look-a-like (though, i believe ontario does make some knives for the military).

I'm a big fan of Smokey Mountain Knife Works.

Someday I'll take a ride down there to visit.

If you're not going to order custom work,

It mostly will be mass produced blades to pick from.

Even then, some require a wait or back order.

From a list of fixed blades, sorted highest price first:

There's a lot of nice stuff, but 1/4" thick blade is mostly Bowie style.

There's a lot more to pick from if you'll consider 3/16" blades also.

I did see this one, that appears your style, kinda smaller than you want: $239.00

TOPS® Tom Brown Tracker™ with Green Canvas Micarta Handle

TPT010.jpg

Edited by ReconRat

As you have requested a "Pigsticker" I present you two options.

The KaBar Baconmaker and The KaBar Potbelly.

282b7c52.jpg

Better pricing can be found.

http://www.agrussell.com/ka-bar-johnson-adventure-baconmaker-and-potbelly/p/KA5601/

At the 2010 S.H.O.T. Show, Ka-Bar® introduced a line of knives aimed at extreme users such as hog hunters, adventure trekkers and anyone else looking for that over the top knife. These knives are based on designs by Steve Johnson, Field Editor for Boar Hunter Magazine and part-time knife designer.

The blades are 1/4" thick 1095 cro-van steel at 56-58 Rc. with a black epoxy powder coating. The multi-position handles are textured with Ka-Bar's proprietary Adventuregrip™, for control in tasks as delicate as field dressing. The handles are a rich brown glass filled nylon.

Each knife includes an innovative sheath system with belt loops at two different belt carry heights, multiple MOLLE attachment points and a stuff sack on the front for carrying light sticks, fishing gear, matches, or other small necessities. Measures 12-5/8" overall and weighs about 13.3 oz. Made in the U.S.A. Suggested retail is $141.17.

Ka-Bar® Johnson Adventure Potbelly™

(in stock)

The Potbelly™ is a hard working knife that no camper or adventure trekker should be without. It has a 7-1/8" modified Kukri style blade that is hollow ground to a razor edge, with a deep belly and weight forward balance that rivals hatchets in terms of chopping power. With influence from both the kukri and the machete, the Potbelly™ is best described as what you would get if you crossed a scalpel and a sledgehammer. If you only have room for one knife in your pack and need one that will do it all, the Potbelly™ is your knife.

A.KA5600$94.95

Ka-Bar® Johnson Adventure Baconmaker™

(in stock)

The most aggressive is the Baconmaker™. Originally built for a friend in the Special Operations community, it was designed for sticking things without the risk of the blade breaking. The a 7-1/8" recurve blade has a Persian influence and is built to provide a very ergonomically sound underhand thrust and to cut exceptionally well in slashing situations. This knife goes through boar shields like the proverbial hot knife through butter; proven by Ka-Bar's own field tests.

B.KA5601$94.95

Here are two I have lusted over

http://www.laruetactical.com/knifespartan-ares-combat-utility-knife

http://www.laruetactical.com/knifespartan-horkos-combat-utility-knife

If mark larue puts his name behind it you can prob bet its top quality.

You buy a $1000 cooler but won't buy a knife for a couple hundred bucks?