calling jporter12 or any other auto tech

2talltim

Not really that big of a deal right now but, ive been driving my wifes 07 impala the last couple of days and the passlock seurity system has be acting up, but only with my key(hers dose not do it). Ill start the car and a few second later it dies and the "check secuity system" deal will light up on the dash, ill turn the key off and restart and maybe have to do it one more time but usually it will go away. Is this as simple as replacing my key?

I believe that was one of the symptoms that my wifes Bonneville had before it left her stranded at the Dayton Art Museum. It turned into the car would crank but not start. I took the car to a shop and they told me it was the GM security acting up and that i would have to take it to the dealer to get fixed. So a few hundred dollars later for repairs and 1 new key and i was back on the road. Can remember exactly how much it was to get fixed around $300ish.

I believe that was one of the symptoms that my wifes Bonneville had before it left her stranded at the Dayton Art Museum. It turned into the car would crank but not start. I took the car to a shop and they told me it was the GM security acting up and that i would have to take it to the dealer to get fixed. So a few hundred dollars later for repairs and 1 new key and i was back on the road. Can remember exactly how much it was to get fixed around $300ish.

when ours does it, it wont even crank till i turn the key back off for a second...there are about 4 different GM security systems from what ive read and i believe ours has the pass lock system witch has a magnet in the key that triggers somthing in the tumbler. And her key had never done it just mine, im thinking i might have put mine too close to my subwoofer when i installed my stereon my truck

Her Bonnie was older than your implala so yeah things may be different. I do know the key was like $80 or so. This was about 5 to 6 years ago. So i cant remember the exact prices. It was expensive enough for me to only get one key. Also we were going to sell the car soon after anyway.

Same thing happened on my Aurora, "clean key, wait 3 minutes", if/when that showed up it usually started on the second try, sometimes 3 or 4, though. Waiting 9-12 minutes to start the car wasn't fun. A new key fixed it.

It's more likely a resistor in the key, not a magnet, but I could be wrong. There are all sorts of "how to bypass the passykey" articles on teh intarwebz, basically wire a resistor in-line with resistance equal to that in your key.

I'm no :superporter: mechanic, but if your wife's key works and yours doesn't, that kinda points to the key. ;)

Get a new key cut, either at a lock shop if they're able to, or at a dealer. Since you've been to the dealer recently and given them lots of cashish, maybe they can "cut" you a deal (pun intended).