Cooling Ideas

Jst2fst

So I'm trying to find some additional way to keep my bike cool when sitting in traffic. My fan kicks in a 221 and my temps shoot up fairly quick highest was 245. I'm gonna install an over ride switch for the fan this weekend hopefully. I was also thinking about adding a second fan if I can do it without taxing the system too much. Anyone here add a second fan? Looks like I've got space on the right for one. I know that sitting in traffic the bikes gonna get hot because airs not moving into the engine. I just wanna be able to control it a bit all that heat can't be good for her. Fluids are good and everything's topped of.

Turn the bike off when your sitting for long times....?

I already do that, she sounds pissed when I turn her back on as in sounds like she won't start.

zip tie a NOS bottle to the frame and use it as a coolant overflow :lol:

:p Haha very funny

Are the fluids OEM?

My TLR gets hot when sitting in traffic, but it does take a while to get there. I put in Engine Ice, and it still will get hot enough for the fans to kick on, but it seems to take it longer to get to that point. It's not the miracle cure, but it does help a little bit.

Are the fluids OEM?

My TLR gets hot when sitting in traffic, but it does take a while to get there. I put in Engine Ice, and it still will get hot enough for the fans to kick on, but it seems to take it longer to get to that point. It's not the miracle cure, but it does help a little bit.

OEM fluids I've been considering running different collants though to help

Why would you mess with a switch if your fan is kicking on? Flush your coolant put in fresh coolant and leave it alone as long as your not boiling over it's not too hot. Or your next thread will be "help my fan isn't kicking on"

Why would you mess with a switch if your fan is kicking on? Flush your coolant put in fresh coolant and leave it alone as long as your not boiling over it's not too hot. Or your next thread will be "help my fan isn't kicking on"

I think the point is that the switch allows you to anticipate, where the thermostat doesn't.

If I'm cruising along w/ the temp sitting at 190, and then I know with 100% certainty that traffic is at a crawl, and I am going to have to slow down, I can proactively flip the fan switch as soon as I slow down, rather than waiting for the temp to hit 220.

If people are THAT concerned about running hot, you can use the computer duster compressed air, turn it upside-down, and spray your radiator. with a little creative engineering, you could probably rig up a way to do that without getting off the bike. Run some kind of tube to get the cold air to the back of the radiator, maybe?

The switch is needed on Honda's. His problem and same as mine was.. Honda fans don't come on till 220 and by that time they don't stand a chance of bringing it down when stuck in traffic it just stays at 220. Is it overheating,no. But I would rather my bike run at 180 instead of 220. I put the switch on mine and use it everytime I ride. I flip it when coming into town, stop and go traffic ect. When I hit it while the bike is at 180 it stays at 180, much better than 220 for both the bike and my legs. Changing the coolant, while a good idea, will not stop the bike from running at 220 while stopped in traffic. The fan switch will. The one I got was from a company called XS Boost and they sell on eBay. I think it was about 20 and came with the harness, relay, switch and a switch mount that makes it look almost factory and was completely plug and play no cutting or splicing your wiring.

when stuck in traffic it just stays at 220. Is it overheating,no.

I would say no, as the fan is designed to kick on then. The point where the fan kicks on is not a overheating point but I would be worried if the temp light kicks on which probably isn't for another 20 degrees.

Obviously the bike was designed by honda to run that way I doubt the ebay company knows more about your honda than the honda engineers do. If 220 was too hot the fan would kick on at a lower temp. A lot of zx14 owners feel the gen 1 14's run too hot and mess around adding fans rather than letting the bike run as designed. I have had mine in 103 degree temps and it never overheated.

The switch is needed on Honda's. His problem and same as mine was.. Honda fans don't come on till 220 and by that time they don't stand a chance of bringing it down when stuck in traffic it just stays at 220. Is it overheating,no. But I would rather my bike run at 180 instead of 220. I put the switch on mine and use it everytime I ride. I flip it when coming into town, stop and go traffic ect. When I hit it while the bike is at 180 it stays at 180, much better than 220 for both the bike and my legs. Changing the coolant, while a good idea, will not stop the bike from running at 220 while stopped in traffic. The fan switch will. The one I got was from a company called XS Boost and they sell on eBay. I think it was about 20 and came with the harness, relay, switch and a switch mount that makes it look almost factory and was completely plug and play no cutting or splicing your wiring.

^^^This my fan just runs and temps just go up

could always wrap the exhaust, this is a big chunk of heat.

I've already wrapped up the new one I need to add another layer of heat wrap to it.