Gun Virgin

mcdoggy2000

I've got a co-worker that's been trained in the use of handguns and had the clearing procedure embedded in his head fire a round in his apartment. At the academy everytime we received our guns or put them away we had to say and perform the clearing procedure.

Safe place safe direction, weapon level with the deck, finger off the trigger. Hit the Magazine release three times. Slingshot the slide three times. Visual inspection (look in the chamber). Physical inspection, top bottom top (stick a finger in the chamber then the bottom of the mag well then again in the chamber). WEAPON IS CLEAR SIR!

Well anyways after one of his quals after the academy our firearms instructor told him he needed to work on his draw and trigger pull. He told him to clear his weapon and practice dry fire drills aiming at a post it note at home from time to time. Well a few days later he decided to do some drills and his first draw he fired a round right through the center of the post-it note and through his neighbors apartment. Luckily no one was home. What happenned was he half assed the clearing procedure and racked the slide then dropped the mag. He got in A LOT of trouble.

heh, I had a friend with lots of experience, drop the slide on a old Mauser pistol and it went off and put a hole in his wood floor.

You never know.

Weak firing pin springs, trouble right there...

the safety won't always prevent it from firing.

Bang the butt of an old M-16 on the ground and see what happens.

Please stand clear of the muzzle.

Safety on, bolt carrier to the rear and out of battery.

It often chambers a round and fires...

That goes along with buger picker off the boom button. Chamber locks are my second prefered method of securing the gun because it can't fire. My first being my safe. The gun won't fire unless the trigger is pressed. Unless its antique or modified and dropped.

Like I said here antique I guess old would be a better term. With the m4 that we carry we have to have the bolt closed on an empty chamber because of the history with the old m-16. But I've seen a firearms insructor who was on a soap box chamber a round safety off bolt closed weapon set on full auto and slam the butt stock on the ground hard several times and nothing happened.

Like I said here antique I guess old would be a better term. With the m4 that we carry we have to have the bolt closed on an empty chamber because of the history with the old m-16. But I've seen a firearms insructor who was on a soap box chamber a round safety off bolt closed weapon set on full auto and slam the butt stock on the ground hard several times and nothing happened.

Correct, it's perfectly safe to slam the butt stock on the ground, to make the bolt go forward.

Correct, it's perfectly safe to slam the butt stock on the ground, to make the bolt go forward.

I do remember that that particular problem was designed out.

One idiot in my unit put a round in an AC-130 wing fuel tank doing that.

I love to go shooting. I usually go at least once a month. If anyone is ever interested in shooting and they are apprehensive about it, send me a PM. I'm always happy to help anyone out, or just to have another person to bring along. Between myself and my friends we can acquaint you to a wide variety of weapons in a safe and fun environment.

Safety course is a good place to start, but a trip to the range with a experienced and patient person can work too.

First off, it is not a gun. Guns are artillery pieces. It is a pistol, a rifle, a shotgun, etc. However, if you are shooting a gun, please please invite me.

Some rules to live by:

1. Every weapon IS loaded, chambered, and the safety is off. You treat every weapon you touch like that until you personally verify it is unloaded and clear.

2. Never point a weapon at anything you are not willing to kill.

3. Never put your finger on the trigger until you are prepared to shoot.

4. Always keep the weapon pointed down range.

5. Familiarize yourself with the weapon before loading it. Ask any and every question about anything you are unsure about.

Home Safety:

1. Your weapons should be kept unloaded and in a locked container.

2. Only keep a weapon you plan on using in a defense situation loaded. That weapon is to be kept in a locked container unless all members of the household are proficient and comfortable with its use.

3. If you have children additional safeguards may need to be put in place.

Malfunctions (Failure to feed, Failure to extract, Double feed, Soft primer hit, etc.):

1. If you have a malfunction and you are not familiar with the weapon:

a. Keep the weapon pointed down range.

b. Engage the safety if possible.

c. Remove the magazine if possible.

d. Lock the slide to the rear if possible.

e. Set the weapon down with the muzzle pointed down range and ask for help.

2. If you have a malfunction and you are familiar with the weapon:

a. Slap the magazine to seat it fully in the weapon.

b. Pull the charging handle and lock the bolt to the rear/Rack and lock the slide to the rear.

c. Observe the chamber is clear and unobstructed.

d. Release the bolt catch/slide lock and chamber a new round.

e. Tap the forward assist. (Some rifles)

f. Squeeze the trigger.

CCW:

a. Know all your state laws and stay current.

b. One drop of alcohol mean no more carrying that evening.

c. Fire your carry weapon once a month. 50 rounds at a minimum.

d. Fire a minimum of 50 rounds of your carry ammo to ensure dependability.

e. Maintain your carry weapon.

f. Exchange your carry ammo every 3-6 months.

g. Buy a quality holster.

h. Know when exactly you can use deadly force.

i. Understand the financial, emotional, and legal ramifications of using deadly force.

j. If you are not willing to use deadly force, do not carry a weapon.

Bang the butt of an old M-16 on the ground and see what happens.

Please stand clear of the muzzle.

Safety on, bolt carrier to the rear and out of battery.

It often chambers a round and fires...

In a properly functioning closed bolt weapon with a locking bolt, the weapon will not fire without the trigger being pulled. Without a hammer strike, the firing pin will not have enough force to ignite the primer. This failure could be caused by a faulty trigger group.

Weapons Stores and Ranges:

Blackwing Shooting Center - Weapon store and range. Offer indoor rifle, pistol, and outdoor shotgun ranges. They rent a variety of weapons, including Fully Automatic weapons. Staff is very knowledgeable, helpful, and honest. They will guide you to the right weapon. They are a bit more expensive than others. I purchase all my weapons from them, and will continue to do so.

http://www.blackwingsc.com/

The Powder Room - Indoor pistol range and weapon store. I haven't shot there since 2009, so I can't give a current review of the place. They were always knowledgeable and helpful in the past.

http://www.powderrm.com/

Vance's Shooting Supplies - Weapon store. Terrible customer service. You take a number and wait 30-45 minutes to be helped. They will sell you whatever you ask for, or whatever is similar, even if they know it does not function properly, or do the job you want it to. They will not help you after a bad purchase without extensive complaining. If anyone is curious as to the details of my two past experiences here, PM me and I will give details.

Bottom Line - I will never shop at Vance's again, and I will never encourage anyone else to shop there either.

Edited by BDBGoalie

In a properly functioning closed bolt weapon with a locking bolt, the weapon will not fire without the trigger being pulled. The weapon slamming down will not exert enough force on the firing pin to overcome the firing pin spring and strike the primer hard enough to discharge a round.

A faulty firing pin spring, or failure in the trigger group can cause this however.

There is no firing pin spring in that platform.

Duh. Brain fart. That is what I get for trying to comment on too much at once.

I'll edit the post to "Without a hammer strike, the firing pin will not have enough force to ignite the primer. This failure could be caused by a faulty trigger group." Thanks for the correction.

Edited by BDBGoalie

Duh. Brain fart. That is what I get for trying to comment on too much at once.

I'll edit the post to "Without a hammer strike, the firing pin will not have enough force to ignite the primer. This failure could be caused by a faulty trigger group." Thanks for the correction.

Very well known problem with early M-16's.

Very well known problem with early M-16's.

True. I was addressing the current design, which has come a long way from where it started. During my time carrying and using the newer and current designs I've never had any worry of a drop fire. Now being worried about getting shot by someone behind me that can't operate their weapon properly is a different story entirely.

I would be somewhat apprehensive about carrying an early model locked and loaded.