more props for the HF folding 4x8

redkow97

My friend Brian is way into aquariums. About 2 years ago, he discovered he could cruise craigslist for people selling full salt water tanks, and then "part" out the fish, live rock, filters, sump systems, tank, etc. and profit.

I've helped him move two 125 gallon tanks, including one this morning. Because it's salt water, we try to salvage as much of that as possible.

at 8 lbs./gallon, plus hundreds of lbs. of live rock and coral, plus the tank itself (which is close to 200 lbs. of glass), the stand, filter parts, etc...

Suffice to say, we were pushing the 1195 lbs. payload limit on my HF 4x8.

No problems. I had to add air to the tires (which ahve been sitting in my basement all winter), but otherwise no issues. I would estimate that we lost less than 10 gallons of water in transport. Heavy and tiring day, but pretty productive.

he's hanging onto this one for a while, but typically there's a 100-200% profit margin.

This one should be more like 300% if he holds out for the right offer. It's a nicer tank than the others he's sold, and he got it for a hell of a deal.

I'll get some cash out of it when/if he sells it. until then, he owes me labor. I have to go grab some fill dirt from my parents' house and do a lot of leveling and landscaping in my back yard. He'll pay me back.

I've never seen HF sell them off the wall, but I would imagine it's possible if you pay the full list price. Seems like they're always on sale, or someone has a 20% off coupon.

My buddy Ryan bought one the other day and put the boxes in his Honda CRX... Didn't even have to make his girlfriend ride in the trunk.