I'm such a tard

2talltim

Earlier in the week i went out to work on my bike. Well the head on the bolt that holds on the rear master cyl got stipped out so i had to drill it. I was pissed but what could i do, i ordered a new one. Well today i went out to do more work on it at least to the point that i needed that bolt and once i got to that point i stopped and cleanned up a bit. While going through my tray of bolts i keep i noticed a bolt that look a lot like the one i had to drill. Then i remembered, the last time i took that apart i stripped the other one and i knew the second one wasnt looking very good, SO I ORDERED 2 OF THEM. So in a nut shell i had a new one the whole time, now i have one on order i dont need. Oh well the bike is ready to roll again, just waiting on my LED flasher relay and some mirrors i ordered. But its rideable with out that

03%20cool%20story%20bro.jpg

With all due respect:

If you guys are "stripping" the heads of bolts (rounding them off?) I'm gonna say that you need to buy a torque wrench because you're tightening them too tight, or better sockets and wrenches that fit the bolts better. I do this stuff for a living (on cars) and very seldom round off any bolts (other than exhaust bolts, and I have tricks for those from the start.)

ive come across some shitty bolts that seemingly strip every time....same for some screws (mainly on throttlebodys)

many bolts will round off or break off if theyre small and cheaply made....kinda like bleeder screws on calipers

i learned in school to never twist a bleeder screw off, to put socket on it and tap it with a hammer to give it more of an "impact" ...ever since i did that, no more breaking them off...the constant pressure is what is doing it

sure, they may have them overtightened, but theres some types of bolts that are just more prone to breaking than others

i learned in school to never twist a bleeder screw off, to put socket on it and tap it with a hammer to give it more of an "impact" ...ever since i did that, no more breaking them off...the constant pressure is what is doing it

:dunno: I've had more trouble with a quick impact breaking bleeder screws. I have a few tricks for bleeder screws. One is slowly applying just enough pressure to get them loose. If they feel as though they're not going to loosen, I have this: Break Free that I use in an air hammer. I have never used the Brake Free for that purpose so far, though.

With all due respect:

If you guys are "stripping" the heads of bolts (rounding them off?) I'm gonna say that you need to buy a torque wrench because you're tightening them too tight, or better sockets and wrenches that fit the bolts better. I do this stuff for a living (on cars) and very seldom round off any bolts (other than exhaust bolts, and I have tricks for those from the start.)

I've stripped my fair share of bolts and had to drill them out, but a good 90% of the time I wasn't the one who put them in so I have to agree they have been over tightened. When I work on a bike or car that hasn't been touched in a long time then many are seized and sometimes PB blaster won't cut it. I've even had one crumble in the socket I was using. I didn't even have to drill it out, I just smacked it with a screwdriver and it broke apart. Other bolts, like caliper bolts, you are "supposed" to change every time and can snap regardless. I just snapped a caliper bolt off about 2 weeks ago using a torque wrench.