The TSA dropped my laptop...

OsuMj

I'm gonna thread jack/troll for the last time on this topic...

The big scanners that spin when they scan you (millimeter wave) are less harmful to you than the smart phone in your pocket, right next to your man parts. I have been scanned more times than I care to mention in a very short time frame. If anybody is interested you can PM me, I have a very intimate knowledge of these.

-VanDy

I'm gonna thread jack/troll for the last time on this topic...

The big scanners that spin when they scan you (millimeter wave) are less harmful to you than the smart phone in your pocket, right next to your man parts. I have been scanned more times than I care to mention in a very short time frame. If anybody is interested you can PM me, I have a very intimate knowledge of these.

-VanDy

I understand, I really do. I'm not ornery about many things, however due to the blatant lack of public testing that these went through, the financial connections back to previous directors of DHS (who now have a financial interest in the company that makes the scanners, who knew?), and the constant security theater without actually finding any threats that is the TSA, I'm erring on the side of "hell the fuck no" when it comes to anything the TSA wants to throw at me. I understand you have intrinsic knowledge of the science behind the milimeter wave scanners, and I respect that. My viewpoint is that if enough people decide to opt-out, then maybe they won't need to buy as many or, I can only hope, any of the machines and put taxpayer dollars to better use. If that means that some asshole with a TSA badge has to juggle the jibblies down there, until that gets thrown out as a 4th amendment violation (hey, a kid can dream) that's what's going to happen.

I agree with Cheech. Plus, the claims that John Hopkins says that the scanners are safe is absolutely ridiculous. I actually read the parts of the report that they didn't blank out (a while ago) and if I remember right, it basically said there are areas of concern including to the sides and above the machine. They also said that the equipment was tested in a test setup situation and not in actual situations where they are used such as at the airport and so they refuse to draw conclusions about the safety of the airport security equipment.

The lies that have been pushed on us by the TSA is absolutely unacceptable, so refusing the scanners are a little bit of my personal protest.

I agree with Cheech. Plus, the claims that John Hopkins says that the scanners are safe is absolutely ridiculous. I actually read the parts of the report that they didn't blank out (a while ago) and if I remember right, it basically said there are areas of concern including to the sides and above the machine. They also said that the equipment was tested in a test setup situation and not in actual situations where they are used such as at the airport and so they refuse to draw conclusions about the safety of the airport security equipment.

The lies that have been pushed on us by the TSA is absolutely unacceptable, so refusing the scanners are a little bit of my personal protest.

I like your style.

Just to clarify there are actually 3 types of machines other than the metal detectors. Millimeter wave, back scatter X-ray, and the machines that spit puffs of air at you to detect chemical components. Millimeter wave are supposed to be fairly safe. Back scatter X-ray are the ones that are questionable and were "studied" by hopkins? The air machines are what I refer to as the TSA bj.

Just to clarify there are actually 3 types of machines other than the metal detectors. Millimeter wave, back scatter X-ray, and the machines that spit puffs of air at you to detect chemical components. Millimeter wave are supposed to be fairly safe. Back scatter X-ray are the ones that are questionable and were "studied" by hopkins? The air machines are what I refer to as the TSA bj.

I've never been able to go through the air ones. I've been through one before, I think at the CN tower in Canada? Idk, but the dude there explained it and it made sense, puff of air, checks for certain molecules to determine if you've handled any chemicals or explosives.

I always seem to get shoved towards the back scatter machines, so I refuse if I have time. The only time I've been in a screening area with the millimeter machine I got send through the metal detector instead anyway.

If I remember correctly, the air puffers are all sitting in a warehouse somewhere, the TSA no longer uses them. Every time I flew when those were out I never saw them get used, not once.

If I remember correctly, the air puffers are all sitting in a warehouse somewhere, the TSA no longer uses them. Every time I flew when those were out I never saw them get used, not once.

I had them once leaving DEN or CMH flying in, I forget. Then they were gone and now its the neat little scanner things. When I had it though, a girls skirt did in fact get puffed up right by me. She was not amused.

can any computer nerds tell me if dropping a laptop can increase the frequency of blue screens? I've gotten like 4 since it was dropped and I probably had like 4 in the entire lifetime before that. What causes blue screens?

I dropped my laptop about a year ago and it bluescreened regularly until I replaced it. I tried fully disassembling it and putting it back together making sure everything was reseated properly - didn't help.

Did you complain at SF when it happened?