any experience with GPX Pro laptimer?

i-Zapp

considering buying one of these -

http://www.xtracing.com/en/gpxpro/index.php

its a bit spendy, but i think it would be cool as hell. probably very helpful for novice riders to see where they can go faster / losing time / taking wrong lines, and could help find those last few tenths for advanced riders.

I haven't used that. For $120 you can get Bluetooth GPS module (I use Dual brand) and Harry's LapTimer Pro (iPhone/iPod Touch) or Android App. Assumes you have the phone/device.

I have only used one practice day and worked well. I'm still learning. A lot of tracks already configured, but setting a new one is pretty simple. Just walk to start finish line and click button. I haven't used all the features yet.

I haven't crashed with it yet either.

Chris

Edited by turnone
extra word removal

^ actually that's not a bad thought.

put up a WTB thread a couple different boards, and find someone who lost interest in their toy. Track down some eBay gauges for their bike, and make their life a little easier, and do a trade + a little cash.

GPS data collection is one of those things that I'd like to be able to rationalize paying for, but it's 2-3 weekends of race fees...

The ability to know WHERE you're slow instead of just THAT you're slow is pretty valuable.

There was a company that was renting the units for a while (Traqmate? maybe not with the Q?) so you could try them out, and then buy at a discount through them, or just keep renting them for $30 a day when you're at a new-to-you track or something.

Anyway, they offered to send me one for a weekend for just cost of shipping, but I didn't have a camera setup to integrate with it, so my data wasn't going to be worth much as far as demonstrating on their website :(

Anyway, this is the company name I remembered, but I don't think it's the actual company that was renting them... http://www.gospecracing.com/rentals.html

Definitely worth looking into though if you don't want to gamble on $700-900

I concur; the GPX Pro is a little pricey for trackday use unless its fully setup and taken advantage of. Its really targeted for the amateur racer; in fact a few WERA racers had some input into its design. Harry's LapTimer Pro and a good external GPS receiver like the others mentioned is pretty trick! Its not super accurate but still a nice inexpensive setup. I'll be giving that a try this season with the iPhone.

However.. the GPX Pro can give you data to make the really cool videos redkow mentioned. Here's a screenshot of me:

gsxr_trackvision.jpg

I had one. It was tits. What do you want to know?

P.S. Looking for something comparable with OBDII input for a car right now, if anyone has any recommendations. Best I've found so far is the AIM Solo DL.

Edited by brn6604
p.s.

I have been using a cheap gps unit and some software to show the brake/acceleration points along with apex speeds. You can also take the location data and use race render to overlay it onto video.

http://www.amazon.com/i-Blue-747Pro-Bluetooth-Receiver-Vibration/dp/B004D01JZ8/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335836632&sr=8-1-fkmr0