Review: Wilson Combat CQB Compact (Lightweight)

BDBGoalie

DSCN1652.JPG?gl=US

DSCN1645.JPG?gl=US

DSCN1648.JPG?gl=US

DSCN1651.JPG?gl=US

I've bought this weapon after my debacle with Vance's and their insistence on selling me things that don't work.

I've been using it as an EDC whenever I am home.

Blackwing Shooting Center was very helpful in describing the details and differences between the manufacturers. They also offer a lifetime warranty on all their weapons.

If you are interested in a 1911, Wilson or otherwise, ask for Kevin Seymour at Blackwing. When I was still having issues with the Kimber, which was purchased from Vance's, he still took the time to dismantle and show me exactly where the problems were, fixed them, test fired the weapon, and returned it to me functioning without charging me a dime. (Course that hunk of crap got traded on the Wilson, thereby ending my relationship with Vance's and Kimber all in one transaction)

Pros:

First off, the fit and finish on these weapons is unreal. Everything fits perfectly, and is polished/machined where it should be. All of the mechanical functions are very smooth. I've put ~600-800 rounds through it and never had a single malfunction. (If some company tells you it is normal for their $1000+ weapon to malfunction for the first 500 rounds as it "breaks-in", they are doing something very wrong.) It is much more accurate that I am.

The 4" 1911 style pistols are much more comfortable to carry IMO as well. The weapon is a little heavier than a polymer, although with the Lightweights (Alloy frames) they only weigh a few ounces more. It ends up having just the right weight for recoil absorption without being a bear to carry all day. The single stack conceals much better as well.

Carrying locked and loaded took a minute to get used to. Once I looked over all the safeties, how they functioned, and tested them all, I feel totally safe now carrying it in Condition 1. Make sure you practice safety engagement/disengagement if your prior weapon did not have a safety lever.

Wilson Combat customer service is awesome as well. Anytime I've had a question, in depth or simple, they are happy to take the time to make sure I get the right answer.

The weapon is insured for life through Wilson, all you ever pay is shipping. Even if I wear the finish off the slide from holstering, they refinish it for free. Only thing I pay is shipping. They are quick about repairs as well.

Cons:

The only downside is the price, which is consummate. I bit the bullet and figured that this would be the last carry weapon I ever buy. I'm loving that decision BTW.

Please PM me with any questions.

Edited by BDBGoalie

Good looking gun. I've never shot a Wilson but I'm not big on 1911s.

You don't know CPT Robison at Campbell do you?

Once you get hooked on the 1911's you'll never go back. :)

I was sent here from overseas to the WTU for a board due to injuries. So if he is with any other unit other than MEDCOM I prolly don't know him. Not to mention there is like 90,000 people here with all four Brigades back.

Edited by BDBGoalie

I love the look, but hate the price and the safety. As a former LEO, I will never carry a gun with a manual safety.

I used to think that way about safeties as well. My prior carry weapon was a G19. I feel more comfortable with the extra layer of security. I also treat my training just like BRM, I practice weapon up, acquire target, release safety, fire, safe weapon, clear area, re-holster. I do agree it takes extra preparation to be as effective. I just hate DA/Half-cock (Glock-style) triggers.

I was sent here from overseas to the WTU for a board due to injuries. So if he is with any other unit other than MEDCOM I prolly don't know him. Not to mention there is like 90,000 people here with all four Brigades back.

He's my brother in law. Forget what unit but not medcom. Didn't figure you would but ya never know.