WTB - .22LR Pistol - Buckmark, Mk III, etc.

mike884

Alright, looking for handgun for the lady to shoot and for me to practice with, inexpensively. Looking for a .22LR, something like a Ruger Mk III, Browning Buckmark, etc? I know they are fairly inexpensive to begin with, but maybe someone has one sitting around and would like to part with... let me know, thanks!

-mike

I've owned buckmarks and Ruger Mark IIs. Both great plinkers. The Walther P22 gets consistent great reviews from Gun Tests magazine. Stay away from Sig Mosquitoes (and I'm a Sig fanboy).

Love my BuckMark, shoots great and have had very little failed to fires which is saying something with .22 rounds. I have shot about every brand without a problem. Most problems actually came from Remington brand. had 3 out of 500 not fire.

Edited by bowdog

Right... i was looking at Buckmark reviews and it seems they will fire through most anything with little issue.... seems more 22A reviews were either its awesome or jams often, but i guess thats with anything, and the pricing is right... guess i will just have to get feel for them all.

Edited by mike884

Not sure if anyone can chime in, but is there much difference between the standard 22A and the bull barrel version? Really about $30 separates the two.

I am no expert but if you plan to go out and shoot mass amounts of ammo everytime you go out then i would go with the bull barrel, little heavier but doubt you will notice much and i believe will not heat up as fast? Like i said i am no expert but that is the way i have always understood it.

I am no expert but if you plan to go out and shoot mass amounts of ammo everytime you go out then i would go with the bull barrel, little heavier but doubt you will notice much and i believe will not heat up as fast? Like i said i am no expert but that is the way i have always understood it.

Good point. Barrel could melt off and go full auto. So I've heard.

Not sure if anyone can chime in, but is there much difference between the standard 22A and the bull barrel version? Really about $30 separates the two.

I have a bull barrel version of a 22A (actually a 22S, but I don't think you can get that finish anymore). The advantage of the bull barrel is that it's heavier and won't jump as much, so you get back to the target faster. This is a good thing for rapid fire, etc. The bull barrel won't last any longer than the standard though.

I've put something like 15k rounds through mine. Build quality isn't quite as good as a Ruger .22, but it's still good. In my hands, the S&W is the most accurate of the target .22s in that price range.

:confused: not sure if serious.

It was a snarky reference to another thread where someone posed barrel-melting and full auto as a danger to not requiring training for a chl.

Looking for a full frame or a smaller weapon?

A SIG Mosquito works great. Walther P22s aren't bad. There are 1911s and M&Ps chambered in .22LR as well.

I'd advise headed to your nearest shooting range and renting a few and letting her see what feels best.

Good point. Barrel could melt off and go full auto. So I've heard.

HA! Now that's funny stuff right there! :D

+1 for the Buckmark. A little pricey, but accurate & reliable.

I used to have a buckmark target 5.5. Loved it! Had a Mark II government. Loved it too. Of the two, I'd go buckmark. I also had a standard Mark II with 6 inch barrel. Didn't love it, but it did what it was supposed to do. Bull barrel ftw!

I got my son a MK III "great gun" it is a bit picky with ammo but shoots the CCI products flawlessly. I want to get myself a fun plinker too, so I am more than likely gonna go with the S&W 22A.

S&W 22a ...i love shooting that thing and you can find them on sale for around $220

I had one it was s huge POS, wouldn't feed anything and jammed bad.

Wife has a beretta neo it feeds everything, accurate, reliable, integrated rail. I have a ruger mark III very accurate, a pain to take down, reliable. Mine is the hunter addition and wasn't cheap, but its purty and extremely accurate.

I had one it was s huge POS, wouldn't feed anything and jammed bad.

never a problem with ours, only when you have about 300+ rounds through it with out cleaning will it ocationally stove pipe

are there any ranges in the Columbus area that have a decent assortment of rental guns; 22A, Buckmark, Mark III, etc? Most places I've seen have at least a Ruger sitting around, but not much else. Also, does anyone Columbus price match to Fin, Feather and Fur? Its long ride up there, but they are by far the least expensive around on most of the guns I am looking at.

Edited by mike884

never a problem with ours, only when you have about 300+ rounds through it with out cleaning will it ocationally stove pipe

Mine was bad from the get go. The factory didn't have the spring and plastic piece in right, so first shot the slide jammed bad. Had to get the range's smith to tap it out. That thing wouldn't feed from day one. Theyre hit or miss I guess.

Mine was bad from the get go. The factory didn't have the spring and plastic piece in right, so first shot the slide jammed bad. Had to get the range's smith to tap it out. That thing wouldn't feed from day one. Theyre hit or miss I guess.

Just like everything else i guess. My wife took it to the CCW class and got compliments on how well it performed. the guy said usually .22's are the problem childs of the class but her's was flawless.