Comptuer won't connect to wifi

Carwhore

Sometimes my computer will connect to my wifi sometime it won't. I recently moved and never had this issue before. When I click the little tab at the bottom that shows the bars the wifi network doesn't show up. But when I go into manage my wireless networks it shows the wifi and about 4 others that never show up on the bottom of my main home screen shortcut deal.

How can I fix this and always connect???

Sometimes my computer will connect to my wifi sometime it won't. I recently moved and never had this issue before. When I click the little tab at the bottom that shows the bars the wifi network doesn't show up. But when I go into manage my wireless networks it shows the wifi and about 4 others that never show up on the bottom of my main home screen shortcut deal.

Does it connect when you connect manually? If so you need to check the auto connect :)

When does it happen?

Cold boot? Restart? Coming out of sleep mode?

It's possible that there's a ton of wireless interference where you are now. Try moving the access point on the opposite side of the room/house from where it is now. If that doesn't work, and if the access point allows you to, try manually changing the wireless channel. The available channels (that don't interfere with each other) are 1, 6, and 11 (assuming you're on 802.11g). Try all 3.

Also, go through your wireless connection history and clear it out. If you can't clear it out, make sure your home network name is first on the list. It's possible there's a default SSID (wireless network name) being broadcast from someone else's access point that you are trying to connect to before your own.

Also check your firewall settings on both your computer and your router.

what brand is your router?

For Most routers I have used(I only buy certain brands, yours will vary)

Type in 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.0 some are different, but for the bigger brands its usually one of these :)

Also did you try to reset your router? Not a soft reset(unplug, plug in) but a hard reset(hold the reset button for 10sec, will probably need a pin for this) this puts it back to factory default.

Function F7 (or one of those) will disable your wifi and the only way to activate it again is by hitting it again. Ask me how I know.... After a warranty call to HP....

-VanDy

It's possible that there's a ton of wireless interference where you are now. Try moving the access point on the opposite side of the room/house from where it is now. If that doesn't work, and if the access point allows you to, try manually changing the wireless channel. The available channels (that don't interfere with each other) are 1, 6, and 11 (assuming you're on 802.11g). Try all 3.

Also, go through your wireless connection history and clear it out. If you can't clear it out, make sure your home network name is first on the list. It's possible there's a default SSID (wireless network name) being broadcast from someone else's access point that you are trying to connect to before your own.

This. Cordless phones are a big culprit here.

Also, unplugging a router everytime it has a problem tells you nothing about the problem. Just a temporary fix.