goodbye

Cp09r1

If your dad really said that, please have him read this: I am 56 years old & "leader of the pack" in my family. My daughters & sons-in-law all ride & we had a family cross country trip planned for this year, to follow in the tracks of my own fathers cross country trip that he made on his HD Knucklehead in 1941. In prep for the trip, I signed us all up for the "Total Control" class offered up near Cleveland ( we live in Southeast Ohio). The class was over about 5:30 pm which meant we would be getting home about 10:00pm. We NEVER ride after dark around here because of the heavy deer presence. Anyway, we were 15 minutes from home and the next thing I remember is waking up in an ambulance asking the medics "what's going on guys?". It turns out that a deer jumped down onto the entrance ramp from the highway above, and landed ON TOP of me, knocking me off my bike. I ended up with both bones broken in my left shoulder, 6 broken ribs, a lacerated spleen, a totalled 9 month old bike and a $13,000 helicopter ride! I also missed one months work (self employed = NO sick time = NO income for a month. I was fully geared & I had not so much as a scratch on me from the get-off, all my injuries were from the impact of the deer landing on me. I had NO INTEREST in motorcycles for about 3 weeks. Another month later I was riding my new one home. Morals of the story: 1- Shit happens NO MATTER HOW SAFE YOU ARE. 2- ATGATT 3-If you really love riding, you'll be back. Just don't let your 20 something judgement & enthusiasm kill you!

• Upvote 2

Did this happen Wednesday? If so I work by the Arena and everyone here at work were talking about the wreck we couldnt believe how long it took the ambulance to respond.

yes i was laying on the ground screaming why is it taking so long

Good to hear you're on the mend. I understand your parent's fear - and I see if from both sides.

My son has logged about 1000 miles on the back of my bike - I pick him up from school each day. He loves it and wants to get a bike of his own when he's old enough. So part of me is happy that he will get to enjoy riding as much as I do, but part of me is dreading him being out on the road knowing how other drivers are. Haven't quite figured that one out yet.

Don't rush them. Don't rush yourself. Healing up is your first job. Don't worry about anything else just yet.

Good to hear you're on the mend. I understand your parent's fear - and I see if from both sides.

My son has logged about 1000 miles on the back of my bike - I pick him up from school each day. He loves it and wants to get a bike of his own when he's old enough. So part of me is happy that he will get to enjoy riding as much as I do, but part of me is dreading him being out on the road knowing how other drivers are. Haven't quite figured that one out yet.

Don't rush them. Don't rush yourself. Healing up is your first job. Don't worry about anything else just yet.

thanks for all the advice

Sorry to hear about all of this man, was good meeting you at the Dayton m&g too. In all honesty, your folks shouldn't really stand in your way of riding if you love it. My parents bought me my first dirtbike when I was 11 and they saw me throw it down a lot, and got hurt several times.....but they never asked me to stop since they both knew how much I loved riding. Now, when I turned 18 I bought my own streetbike and got my temps, they said they wouldn't get in my way but if it's what I wanted to do then so be it. I eventually went down on my ride to work on night, simple lowside in some gravel on a turn - I sprained my leg pretty bad but was fine other than that. The bike needed a new headlamp and gauges, so I fixed it up and sold it but not because they wanted me to......they assumed I'd fix it and get back out there. I went straight back to dirt riding and quit street riding for almost 10 years, didnt regret anything just my decision at the time. Met my wife-to-be and she was fine with getting a streetbike, so I bought my first sportbike and haven't looked back since.

Glad you will be fine (eventually) and dont assume you wont get another bike until they're gone, just get back to it at YOUR own pace when YOU'RE ready. They love you and will surely understand your passion for it

I wrecked last year and didn't get hurt yet I was saddened by what happened to my beautiful CBR. One wrong decision by me and I was down just like that. Now I have a slower bike that won't tempt me to take the turns like I did before but at the same time it's almost as fun as the CBR. My parents could have told me to quit riding but they know how important it is to me so they were just glad that I walked away. My mom had to co-sign for my last two bikes, both of them super-sports. She trusts my judgement but knows that shit happens every once in awhile. Life...