Need rear tire patched

Tigerpaw

by leaking, do you mean it has a hole which you know of, or it's just randomly losing air?

if you can find the holw, just get the slime tire repair kit from autozone, and plug it. every one of my back tires has had a plug in it due to nails. no leaks afterward.

if it's just mysteriously losing air, see if it's on the bead or not.

^^^ He hasn't clarified yet. He did say "patch" though. He has thousands of miles on that tire, would be surprised if it was the bead all of a sudden.

How many thoudands? Might be time to just replace it.

I noticed today that the Dunlop tire website says you can inside patch a tire safely.

But then maximum road speed is limited to 75 mph.

Tire should be inspected in general and in terms of whether a patch will actually work.

I'd get a new tire...

Some punctures in motorcycle tires may be repaired.

Dunlop recommends only permanent plug-patch repairs of small (maximum 1/4-inch diameter) tread-area punctures from within the dismounted tire by a qualified tire repair shop or motorcycle dealer. Never perform an exterior repair and never use an inner tube as a substitute for a proper repair. Speed should not exceed 50 mph for the first 24 hours after repair, and the repaired tire should never be used over 75 mph. Advise your customer to check inflation pressure after tire cools for at least three (3) hours following run-in, or sooner if air loss is suspected. See the Dunlop Service Advisory for additional motorcycle tubeless-tire repair information. Follow the same repair procedures for tires on rims requiring tube replacement. The repairer is solely responsible for the repair and any instructions to the repaired-tire user.

Advise your customers that no form of temporary repair should be attempted because secondary damage caused by a penetrating object may not be detected and tire or tube deflation may occur at a later date.

Dunlop does not recommend the use of liquid sealants. These are a form of temporary repair, and they may adversely affect ply material and mask secondary damage caused by a penetrating object. Advise your customers that reliance upon sealants can result in sudden tire failure and accident.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/info-center/care-and-maintenance/#tire-repair

Edited by ReconRat

it's your money and your drain... like i said, i've put thousands of miles on plugs. and i've been well over 75mph. the plug itself wears just like the tire. the rubber cement is all the way on the inside, so i seriously doubt it's going anywhere.

it's your money and your drain... like i said, i've put thousands of miles on plugs. and i've been well over 75mph. the plug itself wears just like the tire. the rubber cement is all the way on the inside, so i seriously doubt it's going anywhere.

I plugged my tire, but it was still brand new, if it had a few thousand miles on it I would have replaced it.

It's been my experience that there's something about a motorcycle tire that just doesn't hold a plug well. They're good for getting you to the shop, but that's about it.

I have Slimed a tube tire with success. I was told that it would throw the tire off balance and that didn't happen. I'm not a fast rider so maybe that's why I never noticed, but I rode like that for a few months with no problem.

I have ridden many miles on plugged tires without failure. With that said, I would not ride to (except limping home) with a plug that was so large that I wouldn't have fair warning if it did fail. I currently have a 1/4" cut (not hole) in my rear tire on my 1000rr that goes from 34 psi to 15 psi in about 45 minutes. I will be repairing this using silicone adhesive & an internal vulcanized patch. There seems to be a lot of unsubstantiated fear concerning tire repairs.

There seems to be a lot of unsubstantiated fear concerning tire repairs.

plus 1000.

I'm lucky enough to have pissed off the flying spaghetti monster, so every time I get new tires I get a nail in one. So I've plugged em.

plus 1000.

I'm lucky enough to have pissed off the flying spaghetti monster, so every time I get new tires I get a nail in one. So I've plugged em.

You sound like my wife, although I just buy her new tires... Record 9 tires in 1 year...

btw, don't bother patching front tires, just replace those. I've had flats while moving on both front and rear, and you do not ever want to have a front tire go flat. It's scarey, nasty, and dangerous. Rear tires, not so much, just hit the front brake really hard and aim at the side of the road and pull over.