2006 r1- Break in??

R1Limited

Just picked up a (pretty much) brand new R1- Didnt get a manual with it and didnt get it from a dealer.

What is the break-in period?

And also what type of maintenance should i be doing?

(The bike has 570 miles... I dont know if the 1st oil change was done so I'm planning on doing that and maybe adjusting the chain. Maybe the brake fluids?)

Any help is much appreciated!

well you are gonna get a different opinion from everyone. kawi says not above 4 grand for the first five hundered miles and the next five not above 6.

is this bike new or was it rode before you bought it?

Normally on most bikes first 500miles is under 4k rpm's. 500-1000 miles is no more than 1k rpms's. Personally I don't follow any break-ins.

Also, I change oil at 500miles. 1000miles. Then I go synthetic at 2,000miles. After that I change my oil whenever I feel like it, but never over 3 months or 2000miles.

If you're a by the book, straight as an arrow guy, 1000 miles is all you need until you open it up and not worry about the break-in. 1500-2000 is a waste to wait. Just ride it the way you want after 1000 if you want to baby it. You'll be alright, don't be a pansy. :p;)

Uhhmmm... Change the oil before you ride it.. It already has 500 miles on it so the rings are already seated and the damn thing is broken in no matter what you believe.. At this point, just ride it like you normally would...

Uhhmmm... Change the oil before you ride it.. It already has 500 miles on it so the rings are already seated and the damn thing is broken in no matter what you believe.. At this point, just ride it like you normally would...

Break in is over... just ride it... by the time you get used to the new bike and open it up, the bike will be ready. Go to synthetic and all wear will be over anyway.

By the way, If you see a short asian dude on your bike, thats TwinCharge7

And he will be happy to see another LE;)

I would as Flounder said, put fresh oil in, then take your time getting used to the bike and by the time you are comfortable you will be past break in.

Even on my Brand new bikes I keep them under 7k for the first 300 miles then change the oil. Then from there I work up just feeling the bikes behavior and characteristics.