Leather Jacket Cleaning

cb6979

So, I was at work and rather then work, I decided to clean may beloved jacket. I figured I'd share the procedure with ya, in case you did not know.

I have a Joe Rocket Hybrid (Half Leather, Half Fabric), going on 10 years old. I try to clean it with soapy water weekly with all the bugs, and tar. This time I picked up some yamalube saddle soap, and mink oil. After cleaning off the larger masses of bug guts, with and damp cloth, apply some saddle soap the a damp paper towel/terry cloth. Work this into the leather, focusing on the stubborn areas, i.e. shoulder/arm areas. Let dry completely.

For the next step, I used a micro-fiber cloth. Apply a small amount of mink oil to said cloth, and rub into the leather. It will be white at first, but as you work into the leather, it will go clear and glossy. Wait 2 to 4 hrs, and re-apply.

Bam...New jacket again, ready to slaughter thousands of bug/small bird, and maybe a deer or two.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-cfAJaemDhZ8/T7P-Mo8-s2I/AAAAAAAABDs/yrLwAkBTyF0/s800/IMAG0226.jpg

a mag article I had several years ago didn't recommend saddle soap because it seals the pores up and makes the leather feel hotter to wear because it can't breath anymore.

and they also said most suit companies said to never use any kind of silicone on leather.

my a stars suit says to machine wash it and air dry laying on a flat surface.