QSL BN Polaris: First time in at least 6 years...ugh!

ninjagirl219

So tonight I was suckered into returning to the QSL Bike Night for the first time in at least six years give or take. Same old stuff that I remember but it was kinda nice hanging out with my friend Ken and his buddies Nick and Jeff. We left around 9 p.m. and stopped at the Shell so Jeff could get gas. The rest of us pulled off to the side next to the air pump sitting on our bikes geared up (helmets, jackets, boots, gloves...the usual), bikes turned off just waiting.

A cop pulls up behind us (he had just finished harassing a guy in a Vett who was filling up) and asks us to get off our bikes. Ken asks what the problem is and he replies that he is going to show us all the illegal elements to our bikes. Turn signals (integrated, flush...though my stock ZX-6R were more flush than Ken's aftermarket), red reflectors missing and license plate placement (all of which were easily viewable, but still tucked further back then stock) and that all of these were reasons to impound the bikes.

Keep in mind at one point he had to stop talking because the noise was so loud from all the crusiers, a group of other sportbikers with no gear, helmets and the same illegal elements (only much worse) pulled out of the parking lot. When Ken tried to ask a clarifying question about turn signals, the cop really turned on the "charm" and claimed Ken (who is the nicest guy you will ever meet and who's bro-in-law is a Dublin cop) was arguing. I was really flabbergasted by the treatment we were getting from this cop.

We are not the type of riders who go Mach 5 down the freeway weaving in and out of traffic, we're always geared up, our bikes, though slightly modified as stated above, were just that...slightly modified but NOTHING compared to half the bikes in the QSL lot and those giving motorcyclists a bad reputation. Oh and this was my second ride on the bike I just bought from a guy in Pittsburgh who recently had its annual safety inspection...and it passed. :confused: (Yes, I realize, state-to-state, rules are different.)

Forgive me for asking, but is this treatment about standard these days? I've kind of been out of the local loop and working to get back in it now that life is more stable, but if this is what I have to look forward to if I dare ride around town, forget it...I'll stick to the twisties and track.

Side note: I usually ALWAYS use hand signals when I ride too in addition to my three sets of turn signals (front stock, rear integrated and signals as part of my license plate re-locator) if that tells you what kind of rider I am. I'm still shaking my head at the situation.

I have noticed, no matter where I have lived, that there is a direct proportion between the number of motorcycles in a given area and the probability that an LEO will be around at some point. That is why I don't make it to many big bike nights or large group rides anymore. And I have no reason to avoid LEOs. Trust me on this.

Any cop will tell you that everyone is doing something that is technically illegal at any given time while operating a motor vehicle. It's a numbers game. And if the officer you encountered had instructions to "crack down" on bikers early in the season, then you probably just were lucky enough (sarcasm) to be at the same gas station he was at.

I'm guessing that none of you got tickets or had your bikes impounded for the aforementioned "violations" which pretty much tells me that you were not the hooligans he was supposed to be on patrol for. It's unfortunate that you had to get hassled but, as another thread on this forum has recently proven, his chances were good of catching a squid with an attitude--as well as violations--just by walking up to you.

Maybe wearing gear and being responsible created the attention?:rolleyes: I despise QSL on bikenight, I just live down the road and can't stomach all the Harley and cruiser types there. Way too many pirates, folks playing dress-up and attention whores for my liking.....I typically might go 2 times at the most.

Edited by Pokey

Qsl = gayness in your anus. This dudes ex wife probably cheated on him with a biker. Total bullshit he hassles you for flush mounts and reflectors while a bunch of Harley fags chug beer for 4 hours, then get on their open pipe dickmobiles in shorts and a bandanna.

Oh, by the way - helmets and gear aren't required by law.

Yes, I realize that. I was just pointing out that there were other more "suitable" people to screw with besides us.

We didn't get a name since we figure it probably wouldn't have mattered. He didn't cite us but we were on private property and he never had his lights on (not sure if that mattered), so he was just trying to scare us. You could tell by his demeanor though that he was hoping we would cause a problem which is why Ken stopped asking questions and we all just waited until he shut up and drove away to screw with someone else so we could be on our way. In 14 years as a sportbike rider, I have never been screwed with like that before...even at Deals Gap. It was incredibly sad.

we all just waited until he shut up and drove away to screw with someone else
U were parked. Show me a list a mile long of violations "officer", but until I roll out on the street, STFU!

^^^ this is who he was looking for :D

In 14 years as a sportbike rider, I have never been screwed with like that before...even at Deals Gap. It was incredibly sad.

Agreed. Sounds like a raging case of small pee pee syndrome.

5 words you must remember: am I free to go? Ask often. Ask loudly if he doesn't give you a definite answer. Judges do not look highly upon power tripping cops unlawfully detaining citizens who were otherwise minding their own business.

5 words you must remember: am I free to go? Ask often. Ask loudly if he doesn't give you a definite answer. Judges do not look highly upon power tripping cops unlawfully detaining citizens who were otherwise minding their own business.

Good to know. Not that I ever really find myself in situations like these ever. It did make me ponder what it would be like to show up in court with his ridiculous list of two violations and my squeaky clean record, Army veteran, volunteerism, notoriety in riding, gear and safety consciousness and fund raising efforts to name a few and make him look like a prized jerk for picking on me because of an integrated turn signal, which you can see just fine, and a missing reflector. Doubtful, but a girl can daydream. :D

I heard their was a real D-Bag running that road in that area

I went there 3 times and every time I would stop at a rest area park the bike walk to the building and their was a cop sit behind my bike. then he would leave. I was say to my self what the hell. When I reg. my bike in this state I ask the Inspector if their was any thing on this bike that was not up to law and they told me no. Because I would change it.

Edited by wht_scorpion

This... and

"Any cop will tell you that everyone is doing something that is technically illegal at any given time while operating a motor vehicle. It's a numbers game."

thats something entirely more f-ed up, that there are soooo many laws that you can never fully be in compliance, we need to work for change on that front but my goodness it's a pain in the ass to have laws/ordinances reversed or removed... f the system

I seem to remember that there is one patrolman on the North side that does this regularly, for some unknown reason. Every once and a while a story comes around.

And those violations, for the most part, are only enforcable/impoundable by federal law. Which states don't enforce yet, but there's been consideration to do so in the future.

Except the license plate. But it's hard to prove if a plate is or isn't readable.

I mean the judge would have to go down to the parking lot and make a decision.

That probably won't be happening...

I would have called the department and filed harrasment charges. There is no call for that kind of thing. He is on a power trip. And there is no place for that.

BTW one of my best freinds is an officer. So you know I'm not a cop hater.

This... and

"Any cop will tell you that everyone is doing something that is technically illegal at any given time while operating a motor vehicle. It's a numbers game."

thats something entirely more f-ed up, that there are soooo many laws that you can never fully be in compliance, we need to work for change on that front but my goodness it's a pain in the ass to have laws/ordinances reversed or removed.

I agree with that but, just to be clear, I was referring more to something like this situation and I'm glad the OP did not have the same problems.

I also live nearby and I'm not sure what was up last night but I drove by 2 or three times over a couple hours running some errands and too an fro from baseball practice with my kids. Each time I went by I saw flashing lights over around QSL, so apparently you were not the only ones they were talking too.

A few years ago they had some squids racing down 71 from QSL on bike nights and cracked down on it, but since then I've never seen them patrolling like they were last night.

This is the first time I'm hearing Westerville PD harassing parked bikes at a gas station, but I've clearly seen WPD popping sportbikes up and down Cleveland Ave and Polaris for all kinds of stuff, muffler/noise violations, you name it. All the while, people are boozing it up at QSL and walking RIGHT PAST A GODDAMNED COUNTY SHERIFF who works security every week, getting on their straight-piped Harley's, and riding home. I personally GUARANTEE that a significant number of people riding out of that bar on any given Wednesday wouldn't blow under the legal limit, yet the sportbikers are the assholes.

Does anyone know what police department would cover that area? Westerville or Powell?

Stephani. Bring your crew down to the Buffalo Wings n Rings BN we have set up on E. Broad St. Wednesday's 7ish.

Yeah, I just found that this existed (I don't get on here much), but we may consider that next week for sure. And I think the guy that bought my YZF last month goes there and I would love to see it again. :)

Thanks everyone. Glad to know I'm not crazy for thinking that what he did was unnecessary. I am going to research these so called violations so I can be completely informed on my bike.

Does anyone know what police department would cover that area? Westerville or Powell?

Yeah, I just found that this existed (I don't get on here much), but we may consider that next week for sure. And I think the guy that bought my YZF last month goes there and I would love to see it again. :)

Thanks everyone. Glad to know I'm not crazy for thinking that what he did was unnecessary. I am going to research these so called violations so I can be completely informed on my bike.

Westerville. Powell is further northeast.

If you get someone like that again, you need a department (Westerville, Columbus, County sheriff, so on), and name and badge number so you can file a formal complaint.

That should be Cbus not Westerville, all the police at QSL have always been Cbus. I think Westerville is out of jurisdiction beyond the overpass?

You might have a point there.