Vacation Delima

mango_sv

or he can get a real hitch instead of bumper hitch....then use one of these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/600LB-HD-MOTORCYCLE-SPORT-BIKE-HITCH-MOUNT-RACK-CARRIER-HAULER-W-LOADING-RAMP-/400299940356?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D5%26pmod%3D390312066310%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8678094150604264606

and weld another hitch to it to hook the boat into.....but thats kinda redneck and not something you would really slap together last minute before a trip lol

I believe the weight limit on most roof racks is 200-300 lbs

youre right...looked up the weight limit for that model jeep and its 150lbs... :wtf:

i still think he would be fine doing it, especially if he layed a thick sheet of plywood down to distribute the weight evenly

no matter how you look at it, he is going to have some thrown together redneck solution ....they dont make a "kit" for this lol....

Well the hitch on it is a class 4 hitch, so I would say it was real. Lol. I have actually been looking at those carriers, but I would need to either fab a ball hitch or find one with one.

gotcha. you mentioned the bumper hitch weight, go i guess im not sure why you would mention a bumper hitch if youre using an actual hitch....you confused me :D

unless youre saying your class 4 hitch is max tongue weight of 500lb, in which case youre mistaken.....theyre rated to pull 10k with a 1200 max tongue weight

Edited by Steve Butters

or he can get a real hitch instead of bumper hitch....then use one of these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/600LB-HD-MOTORCYCLE-SPORT-BIKE-HITCH-MOUNT-RACK-CARRIER-HAULER-W-LOADING-RAMP-/400299940356?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D5%26pmod%3D390312066310%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8678094150604264606

and weld another hitch to it to hook the boat into.....but thats kinda redneck and not something you would really slap together last minute before a trip lol

I had the same idea, my pictures were not showing. If you used plywood with blankets or something in between to save your paint the roof would be fine. The amount of weight you have up top couldn't be any less than that civic :). Also I know for sure they make that hitch mounted motorcycle carrier that has an adapter for another trailer behind it. Knowing that your hitch is class 4 you will be safe to run both.

http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo-Carrier/Blue-Ox/SC2000.html

This is what I was thinking of. But that is retarded expensive and you need to weld to your class a rv. Which is a whole bunch of stuff you are not doing. I'll keep poking around. Buy one for ~$250 and have someone weld it for you.

Edit.

Pricy but it will work.

http://www.discountramps.com/hd-motorcycle-carrier.htm

Or look at hiddenhitch.com they have front mounted hitches + cheaper motorcycle hitch carrier and then tow the boat behind. Just some options.

aeee8121-dc9b-7182.jpg

This.

Not seeing any particularly twisty/good roads in that area....

Leave the bike. Take some people out on the boat and enjoy the lake.

This. Seriously it's much like Cleveland where it's an hour or two from good stuff

rent a truck, or borrow a friend's truck for the week.

Thats what I was thinking too!

If you can leave the boat in the water, you can rent a truck for a day and return it when you get to the lake. Then rent it again to come back. I've done this when I go on vacation and don't plan to drive anywhere during the week I'm there

gotcha. you mentioned the bumper hitch weight, go i guess im not sure why you would mention a bumper hitch if youre using an actual hitch....you confused me :D

unless youre saying your class 4 hitch is max tongue weight of 500lb, in which case youre mistaken.....theyre rated to pull 10k with a 1200 max tongue weight

I thought it was class 3 with 500lb, but i looked up the info and it is class 4

This. Seriously it's much like Cleveland where it's an hour or two from good stuff

Have you looked at where I live? square mile blocks of road. I'm a good 4 or 5 hrs from anything good so when the chance arises, the bike goes to play.

Skip the bike:wtf: load the boat with ALL the BEER you can:) after drinking all day in the hot sun and looking at all the hot chicks in bikinis you will forget you didn't bring that bike:eek:

have fun

rent truck to drive there is a good idea...once there drop boat at lake, return truck....ride bike all week to get around, then pick up a truck on the way home....you will spend less in rental fees than you will rigging up some fancy hitch and bike carrier (for a single trip...if you plan to do it often it wont be a good choice)

I've gone places for a week expecting to be bored and have a lot of time to spare and it's rarely the case

I don't plan on being bored. I always have a blast there. Just want my toys to play with.

Is anyone going with you? If so have them drive the jeep and boat you ride!!

Planning on the GF going, but she has never towed before and really doesn't even like driving.

Skip the bike:wtf: load the boat with ALL the BEER you can:) after drinking all day in the hot sun and looking at all the hot chicks in bikinis you will forget you didn't bring that bike:eek:

have fun

Truth, but 1) GF 2) Never know where people are on this lake, it is huge!!!!

And Thread closed.

If I had a truck to borrow, do you think I would be asking what everyone thought. I've debated renting, but crazy ideas are always fun.

What about welding a rack to carry bike on the front of the boat tongue? I Know there is not a ton of room on mine but I think i could get one on if had too, or maybe weld a mount to the rear of the boat trailer that you could remove when not in use?

you men always make it difficult! I say either rent a truck or tell the gf to stfu and trailer the boat and you ride.. if you don't mind riding that far! lol just sayin..

you're running out of options!