I quit smoking and other reasons why I signed up for Pelotonia...

Casper

No restriction on bikes on the Pelotonia. I meant my mountain bike is geared and set up for the trails, and would be brutal on a distance road ride.

Gotcha. I'm just the opposite, my mountain bike has never seen a trail :p,

putting semi-slick road tires on it makes a huge difference in the ride on-road.

Semi-slicks have a flat center surface but knobby tread on the sides.

i saw quite a few people on mountain bikes last year.

Also quite a few older beefy guys that made it the whole way to Athens.

i was impressed. this is not just for skinnies. if you want to give it a go just do it!

Congrats on quiting. I quit 4yrs ago on mothers day (she was happy). I found the 1 yr mark to be harder that the 1 week.

Good luck on the ride. I didn't see a route on the site, did I over look it?

Dad's going on 3 years now. He quit in the hospital after he had a heart attack in Sandusky on the job, then drove himself home to North Ridgeville, THEN had my Mom call the medics. Quad-bypass later he's still kicking, but the docs made it very clear that he won't be for much longer if he keeps up smoking. Hospital offered him all kinds of stuff to help him quit, at the end of the day it was just a decision he had finally made for himself. He turned it all down and hasn't had a cigarette since. You can do this, all of yas.

This is awesome! I used to do the Seattle-toPortland every year when I road there, and the Kitsap centuray ride. Ohio doen't have hills! Haha.

Congrats on stopping and I'll be looking to volunteer I think, I've got so much going on with the new job and college, and I wish I could get back into cycling heh I'll find a routine here eventually and we should all ride that really long Alum Creek type trail some day.

OR if anyone is up for it I have a Jeep that'll carry three mountain bikes into any mountain biking area you can find around here in central Ohio.

Confirmed yesterday that my boss had surgery this week to remove a cancerous tumor. He's not exactly my favorite person, but I would never wish this on anyone, and I am praying that all works out for him. So yeah, this disease impact my life, and fairly often at that.

Side note: My family has been attending several fundraisers that are being arranged by some friends' local relay for life team. Last night the local Wendy's contributed 15% of their sales from 5-8pm to their team, all of which goes to the American Cancer Society. They have a hog roast and auction coming up in a couple weeks out here that I plan to attend as well. I try to help where I can!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Dude that is awesome! Congrats on quiting smoking!

The smoking thing has definitely been difficult. I've cheated. A lot last week while on vacation. But I'm still on track. Definitely not a pack a day smoker anymore which is awesome. It's funny how much more I can smell (which in itself has been a blessing and a curse).

I can't believe it's this weekend. I am going to try my hardest to get the 50 miles in. I may have been a bit too ambitious though when I registered. :lol:

My ass is way more out of shape than I thought it was. But I'm still kicking. I'll post my progress on here as I can. I figure I'll be making quite a few stops. Haha.

And for anyone interested, you can donate up until October something. The money doesn't have to be in by this weekend.

The smoking thing has definitely been difficult. I've cheated. A lot last week while on vacation. But I'm still on track. Definitely not a pack a day smoker anymore which is awesome. It's funny how much more I can smell (which in itself has been a blessing and a curse).

I can't believe it's this weekend. I am going to try my hardest to get the 50 miles in. I may have been a bit too ambitious though when I registered. :lol:

My ass is way more out of shape than I thought it was. But I'm still kicking. I'll post my progress on here as I can. I figure I'll be making quite a few stops. Haha.

And for anyone interested, you can donate up until October something. The money doesn't have to be in by this weekend.

don't worry we will smack that ass when we go by you.