Computer problem, Need help.

StealthCat

For some odd reason both of my cd drives quit working on me a while back. It isn't the controller on the motherboard, because I can see both drives in BIOS. I tried uninstalling them from the device list and then rebooting, and while windows did "reinstall" them, I still can't access them. They are there in 'my computer', and when I insert a disk the icon will change so I know that windows recognizes a disc being present, but when I try to access the drive it says "Please insert a disc into drive x". Any ideas? The firmware for both drives is up to date, and I've tried multiple discs in different drives.

2 drives,

first drive is a JLMS DVD-ROM (XJ-HD16)

second drive is a Sony CD-RW (CRX216E)

Both of which suddenly stopped working at the same time (and it isn't a motherboard issue). Ponder on that, and let me know what you think.

thats fed up....maybe PART of the cable went bad as to it can see the disc but not read it....change the cable see what happens:)

Ugh can't believe I'm going to agree with 420. :D

Yeah your cable could be going bad or pulling loose on an edge when seat the drives.

Try unplugging one of the drives and leaving the other attached.. Old Compaq drives in cable select mode were notorious for screwing up the whole IDE channel if one began to fail.

If the first one you unplug does not let you see the other one just swap and try it the other way around. Check to be sure they are in cable select mode. This should still work if one is master and one is slave.

HTH

-CBC-