What could this problem be on a potentially amazing Craigslist steal?

Ryan_c_F

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/3064180678.html

I had bought this bike a few months ago as a starter bike for myself. I had gone out got my temps for it then things started going wrong. I am in no way a bike expert but I do know that it runs, and runs good. Rides smooth and good and shifts good too. The only problem is keeping it running. It will not stay running for very long, and after a few times of trying to start it it wont start for a while. I had bought brand new plugs for it and a new battery cause thats about all I knew about. I am done with it and sticking to my car now. the price for the bike is firm. 500 cash is more than reasonable for a running bike. I do have a brand new helmet and new jacket that if interested those each are 100 dollars. the first one with cash in hand its theirs. you must pick it up.

I will only accept one trade and that are some nice rims for my 2003 mustang gt. but im leaning more towards the 500 cash

Sounds like it's flooding out... junky carbs?

Don't take it to coshocton!

Running problems could be carbs for sure, could also be weak spark, or bad compression when the heads heat up...

Fine advice lol.:D

Coshocton is on the other side of the state from me... no worries.

Btw after re-reading, weak spark is my vote...

So...

Weak spark, since he replaced the battery and sparkplugs..

Frayed sparkplug wires, bad terminals, fuse problems?

How difficult would a weak spark problem be to fix?

Not enough info for even a guess diagnosis. If it's ignition, could be a weak coil, added to the stuff you've listed.

If it has a vacuum controlled fuel petcock, it could be not getting vacuum and running out of fuel, or a fuel restriction, such as the petcock itself.

Clearly heat-related. Didn't Ford TFI ignitions cause heat-related stalling?

I wonder if the fuel lines are getting heated up and causing vapor lock. Used to get that in my old Volvo.

my 67 gto did that if i let it idle in the parking lot for too long.

i'd stomp on it leaving and the 4bbl would kick in, then it would die for a few seconds before the fuel started flowing again...

but since it seems to be flooding more than it seems to be starving, i'd go with the weak spark.

caused by dirty connections, weak coil, or...???

I'm going with number one guess is fuel cap not venting (or fuel tank not venting). Causing a vacuum on the tank fairly quick after starting. Resulting in fuel shutting off and engine quitting every time. Simple to check, ride with fuel cap open, but do not turn into a flaming torch while trying. (Also might be obvious when opening the fuel cap right after it stalls.)

edit: yeah, that too tight valve lash thing. Too tight on the exhaust valves will result in leaking when hot, and a clear burrr burrr sound as you try to get it back home.

I had a very similiar sounding issue with my CX500. Everyone thought it was fuel related but it turned out to be electrical.

Somehow, somewhere, oil or water was coming in contact with the electrical bits and causing a short. Best way to describe, bike came up to temp, thermostat opened and bike cut out. Cool down, stop the water and it would run again.

I didn't understand the issue then and I still don't get it now. It cost me all my summer college wage savings $500 in 1986 dollars to get fixed. Still painful after all these years.

Not enough info for even a guess diagnosis. If it's ignition, could be a weak coil, added to the stuff you've listed.

If it has a vacuum controlled fuel petcock, it could be not getting vacuum and running out of fuel, or a fuel restriction, such as the petcock itself.

My 98+ was a vacuum petcock, I'm willing to bet it's the same on the the pre-98's.

Spark-Fuel-Air

It has to get a good strong spark, and even though it has a new battery it has to a good highly charged battery or you are going to have problems starting. I am working on my old Kaw now and am keeping a trickle charger (maintainer) hooked up to the battery so its at peak charge when I do license it for the road.

Gotta have fuel supplied to the cylinders. Is the spark plug fouled wet, or is it dry. If the problem is electrical and it dies there should be excess fuel (unburned) in the cylinder, no?

It has to breath. A plugged air filter can also be a problem.

I'd be checking the battery and air filter first, and if ok, then the fuel supply. Plugged filter? If the battery has a full charge and no spark at the plug then its a component and this is the place to get help on the specifics. Lots of well versed riders here and there are a few that work on bikes for a profession too, and they do great work. Maybe being an OR member you might get price breaks, I'm not sure how that works, but for $500 and a little elbow grease you might have a fun riding bike for the summer.

Dang I was hoping that was a 750! I've got the motor out of my 92 sitting in my garage. The guy who had it before me exploded the transmission in it. I ended up just getting a donor motor from rice paddy. You're welcome to it if you can use it at all. Cases are pretty fucked up though.

Yeah the 750 will bolt right in but when the trans exploded the shaft beat the case to death. So the front "half" of the motor is good and had 7200 miles on it when I yanked it. Not sure if he can use the business end of the 750 combined with the cases/transmission of the 600.