Uhaul RentsMC Trailers

Jcarlson

I know many of you knew this but many of you don't. Uhaul has two size trailers that they've converted to handle MC's.

The first is a small 4x7 garden trailer with ramp. It was originally designed for hauling riding mowers, tillers, snowblowers, etc, but they've modified them by putting a wheel chock in the front center. These are big enough to handle almost any size bike and can be towed with a Class I, II, or III hitch. I've rented this many times and it's great. These rent for $14.95/day.

http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/EquipmentDetail.aspx?model=MT

The other they have modified is the 5x9 ramp trailer. This one is a bit more heavy duty as it's designed for heavier equipment. Once again a wheel chock has been added so most any bike will fit - except maybe a chopper. These rent for $24.95/day.

http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/EquipmentDetail.aspx?model=RT

So why am I telling you this? No, I don't work for Uhaul. I'm just sharing information I've gathered with anyone who might have wondered the same thing - "Who the F*** rents bike trailers?"

My wife and I are taking a trip to the Adirondacks next month and we wanted to bring our bikes. We needed a trailer that could handle a Kawasaki Concours and a Vstar 650, plus luggage, etc. I searched every place I could think of and even started a thread on here trying to find a place that rents MC trailers. I quickly found that no one does because the liability is too high. I knew Uhaul did because I had rented from them before, but given the distance we are driving I wanted to find a lighter trailer. No such luck so it's Uhaul all the way, and that's fine.

Not knowing for sure if both bikes would fit in a 5x9 I rented one today just to do a test fit/dry run. I didn't want to wait until the day of vacation to find they didn't fit. That would have sucked big time. They both fit no problem. I had to stay pretty close to the sides when driving them up, and getting in and out was like climbing onto a bull in the stall, but it wasn't too bad. Tieing them to the D-rings was a little tricky because one wheel is in the way, the other fork is in the way, blah, blah, blah, but I made it work and cinched them down tight.

I had to load the Concours on the left side because the Vstar leans a lot more since it's a cruiser. I placed a chunk of 2x4 under the Vstar kickstand to keep it more upright which gave me plenty of room to get in there to tie it down. Both bikes loaded and still lots of room at the back for luggage, cooler, or whatever. Click the attached thumb to see.

I just wanted to share this with anyone who may be looking to haul their ride to the shop, Sturgis, Myrtle, Daytona, or wherever.

Thanks for reading and happy riding!

Jim

Edited by Jcarlson

I used the 5x9 to drag my Daytona home from Charlotte, NC. You can definitely feel that it's a hefty beast, but the tie-down points are rock solid and even with no wheel chock the bike stayed firmly planted despite my novice trailering skills and the occasional pothole or nasty expansion joint. Since I live in an apartment with no place to store a trailer of my own, I'll be using these (or the MC trailer if i get lucky and they're in stock) to go to track days for the foreseeable future. Overall it isn't a bad option.

I used the 5x9 to drag my Daytona home from Charlotte, NC. You can definitely feel that it's a hefty beast, but the tie-down points are rock solid and even with no wheel chock the bike stayed firmly planted despite my novice trailering skills and the occasional pothole or nasty expansion joint. Since I live in an apartment with no place to store a trailer of my own, I'll be using these (or the MC trailer if i get lucky and they're in stock) to go to track days for the foreseeable future. Overall it isn't a bad option.

Did the same from Mooresville, NC with a R6 and agree. Especially through the mountains you can feel the weight of the trailer, even while empty. I would also like to add that I think it is quite bouncy while empty, more so than other trailers of lighter weight. It might be due to a higher load capacity but it was annoying while empty and even mildly so loaded down.

I've used the 5' x 9' twice after purchasing a bike to transport it home (including my current Duc) and never had an issue with them (they're as slippery as goose poop when wet, though). My Ram never noticed the added weight empty or loaded w/ the Duc from Brunswick to Uniontown nor did my old Z-71 hauling a Gixxer 1100 up from MD to PA.

I looked at this a while back and I think they recommended staying under 50mph with the trailer WTF? Is that still the case?

The 5' x 9' I had was marked for 55 mph but that's just a CYA for U-Haul. I had mine at highway speeds and it did just fine.

I've got an 09 corolla without a hitch. What additional parts do I need to buy? Obviously I need a hitch. But then I'm not quite sure what else I'll need in addition. Thanks in advance!

You need a hitch, correct size drop, ball, and 4 flat wiring to the trailer. Uhaul might be able to hook you up and install all the necessary components.

The 5' x 9' I had was marked for 55 mph but that's just a CYA for U-Haul. I had mine at highway speeds and it did just fine.

Same here, I had mine over 80mph and no problem arose that wasn't present at any lower speeds.

Pay no attention to the speed limit rating. That's just CYA like someone said.

Moneyless - go to any Uhaul center and they can hook you up. I'm a bit confused though with their website. It says you can tow any trailer with your corolla but I know better than that. no way are you hauling a 6x12 with that car, but you could probably do the 5x9 - definately the 4x7.

Get a class I frame hitch. Its rated for 2000 lbs. You'll also need a 2" ball and 4-way flat wiring which they can install everything for you for around $250.

When it comes to towing it's not about if your car can pull it or not, but rather can you stop in a hurry if needed. If you jam on your brakes with a 3500 lb trailer behind you it's going to take a while to stop if you don't jack knife or flip over first.

I figured that but the moment something goes wrong (U-Haul isn't exactly known for their equipment upkeep) they'll point to you exceeding the recommended speed and absolve themselves of any liability. It's been my experience that most u-haul proprietors are on the shady side.

I figured that but the moment something goes wrong (U-Haul isn't exactly known for their equipment upkeep) they'll point to you exceeding the recommended speed and absolve themselves of any liability. It's been my experience that most u-haul proprietors are on the shady side.

I can't say that that has been my experience at all. I've rented multiple trailers (5' x 9', 6' x 12', car transporter, etc.) and their moving trucks twice which were driven from WV to ID and ID to NC hauling my car on a transporter with zero issues. With the exception of the recent motorcycle trailer rental, I've always gone through a local U-Haul dealer/hub.