Mechanic Special - 1985 V65 Sabre - $500.00 OBO

Ryan_c_F

I will help you pick up if needed.
If you and MaxPower get things worked out before Sunday, I will be in Mansfield, and can bring my enclosed and pic it up for him. Fact, I would do this free of charge since I'm going home anyways.

Maxpower you got my # if this happens, text me. I will be in Mansfield about 10am judging a car show, then around until mid afternoon/early evening. I don't have plans past like noon/1pm.

Wow.... very awesome, guys.

Max, I will PM you my phone # - please text or call when you have a second.

I remember reading somewhere the oiling issue was all sizes thru 86, including the uber-beast 1000R with cam gears; something regarding heat treating of the cams being too soft (?) Porter do you remember someone linking an old article on VFRWorld several years ago?

Since I'm already getting lined up for some cool Ti hardware in my back, this lump would probably paralyze me just getting it onto the centerstand right now. Otherwise I'd be dragging it home.

There's all sorts of info floating around on VFRWorld about this, some good, some totally wrong. You have to really sift through it, and figure out who to believe!

The only thing I've ever seen re: cam wear on these bikes is that the oiler channels on the stock engine are too narrow/ineffectual, and it leads to wear. Haven't heard anything about the metallurgy being bad or anything of that nature... just that they don't get a ton of oil naturally, especially on cold starts.

Well I guess what I read was just referring to the 700's?

Early V45s suffered from cylinder head woes, but by the time the 700 Sabre came along those problems had been put to rest. With an overdrive six-speed transmission, the Sabre can be hustled up to speed in short order, and the engine's 10,500rpm redline comes up remarkably fast. Cruising at highway speeds of 70mph and above is where the Sabre shines: It's calm and absolutely free of vibration, a testimony to the V4's lack of primary imbalance.

Read more: http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classic-japanese-motorcycles/honda-vf700s-sabre.aspx?page=2#ixzz1xnCq3Ox7

Maybe in third... :p

The noise this thing makes at speed is absolutely not to be believed.

It completely wakes up at 6500 RPM, and just starts screaming at you. A serious beast. I'm really glad I owned it.

The only thing I've ever seen re: cam wear on these bikes is that the oiler channels on the stock engine are too narrow/ineffectual, and it leads to wear. Haven't heard anything about the metallurgy being bad or anything of that nature... just that they don't get a ton of oil naturally, especially on cold starts.

The primary problem is the oiling. Since the cams and followers aren't hardened as deeply, they fail pretty quickly, and that's where the poor metallurgy claims come from.

The primary problem is the oiling. Since the cams and followers aren't hardened as deeply, they fail pretty quickly, and that's where the poor metallurgy claims come from.

lightBulb.png

oohhh......... :facepalm: lol so finally I get it. haha.

Good afternoon, guys n gals.

I'm looking to part ways with my V65. My dream bike for many years... got in while the deal was under $1000.00... it performed like a bike that cost less than $1000.00 lol. I'm asking for half of that.

The bike is currently NOT RUNNING - this is why the price is so low. It needs an electrical system refresher (the reason why it's grounded), fork seals, brake pads, a rear master cylinder, and a side-cover if you can find one. The rear monoshock is also blown out ('cuz I'm fat lol) but I have a replacement ready to go.

Also, in my frustration with the bike, I lost the key when it broke down. No idea where that is. But you'd need to get one cut eventually.

However, for the good news: this Sabre has about 35k miles on it, and a clean title. The frame is straight, the transmission is strong, the clutch needs no work. No rips in the upholstery either. The engine was working marvelously before the electrical gremlin bit me, doing good work to catch me up to a squid in Timberlands on an R6 who was doing clutch-ups in traffic, so that I could shake my giant helmet disapprovingly at him. Good Honda!

This is really for someone with a lot of patience and a knack for making custom parts work, or for someone with a Sabre who could use a lot of spare parts and a good engine.

I have an aftermarket Rifle fairing that will be included.

I would prefer to divest myself of this thing all at once, because I don't have any use for a full motorcycle in my garage right now... half a motorcycle would be even worse.

Anyone interested, or know anyone who would be interested?

If I just had a garage and some $$

I've had my eye on that model for a couple of years now.

Great bike but your timing is all wrong :nono:

GLWTS

As far as the cam wear issue, I'm right. My dad has an 85 magna and did his homework. He also corrected the oiling issue. Another issue on these motors is the seals on the clutch transfer shaft leaking oil, which requires removing the drive shaft and associated cases and gear, the water pump, and a few other pieces to access the seal that for no good reason must be installed a nd removed from inside the motor.

I'll go with that. I believe you over random internet dudes, all things considered :). My 500 already had the holeshot kit when I got it back in the dark ages so it wasn't an issue.

We sure hijacked the hell out of Ryan's for sale thread, though :D. Hope whoever gets this beast has fun with it.

As far as the cam wear issue, I'm right. My dad has an 85 magna and did his homework. He also corrected the oiling issue. Another issue on these motors is the seals on the clutch transfer shaft leaking oil, which requires removing the drive shaft and associated cases and gear, the water pump, and a few other pieces to access the seal that for no good reason must be installed a nd removed from inside the motor.
I'll go with that. I believe you over random internet dudes, all things considered :).

Sam knows his stuff, I'd believe in what he tells me - just sayin'

I know exactly what seal you're talking about! I have one for my 500, but I "fixed" it an easier way. You have to find an o-ring that fit's on the shaft tightly, and you have to work it down in between the seal and the shaft. I think it might still be seeping a little bit, but a gusher of a leak as it was before!

Someone buy this bike! The things that it needs shouldn't be bad at all to fix!

• 2 weeks later...